Current Player #xx Cameron Cooper

People seem quite excited by this one. What's behind that? Youth team players are always something to be proud of but is there something about this lad that seems different or special? Good luck to him, mind.

People seem quite excited by this one. What's behind that? Youth team players are always something to be proud of but is there something about this lad that seems different or special? Good luck to him, mind.
Youth international. Rangers paid compo to take him from Thistle last year (apparently beat West Ham & Sheffield Utd for the signature). Scored plenty for Rangers U18s including a couple of real beauties. Seems well liked. I'm either an authority on Scottish youth football or did some lunchtime googling 😉. Looks like an absolutely brilliant development signing and reading between the lines sounds as though Kinniburgh had a big role in making this happen. At this rate our entire squad will be heading off during international breaks.

Mainly because aside from his pedigree he’s signed a multi-year professional contract, rather than signing a scholarship. We’ve been waiting for him to turn 18 for that very reason.

Mainly because aside from his pedigree he’s signed a multi-year professional contract, rather than signing a scholarship. We’ve been waiting for him to turn 18 for that very reason.
Close to First Team level?

Hopefully we've found the new Laurence Shankland

Welcome to Oxford young man 💛💙

Youth international. Rangers paid compo to take him from Thistle last year (apparently beat West Ham & Sheffield Utd for the signature). Scored plenty for Rangers U18s including a couple of real beauties. Seems well liked. I'm either an authority on Scottish youth football or did some lunchtime googling 😉. Looks like an absolutely brilliant development signing and reading between the lines sounds as though Kinniburgh had a big role in making this happen. At this rate our entire squad will be heading off during international breaks.
While I am happy with this kind of signing and it will be interesting to see how he develops. Back to MFs original point, if he is that good why has he come here instead of staying at Rangers, going to a higher level etc? Genuine question, maybe it's the Manning effect or something else.

While I am happy with this kind of signing and it will be interesting to see how he develops. Back to MFs original point, if he is that good why has he come here instead of staying at Rangers, going to a higher level etc? Genuine question, maybe it's the Manning effect or something else.
The Steve Kinniburgh effect.
"I’ve now got the opportunity to play for Oxford United and when I came down and spoke to Stevie Kinniburgh, it was a bit of a no brainer for me. The way the club wants to move forward, the way they give young boys a chance – it’s all you can ask for and now it’s up for me to take it."

Was mentioned in the other thread. Seemingly not much of a progression pathway at Rangers for young players, so Cooper and their representation didn't feel it was in his best interest to sign a pro deal there.

Is a common issue with Rangers and Celtic that they hoover up all the quality, but not many actually get first team opportunities, especially with managers chopping and changing at a relatively high frequency. We've shown we'll give youth a chance over the last few years and with the SK link, made even more sense.

Back
Top Bottom