Home Match Build Up 7/11/2021 FA Cup: OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as Stevens is fit he will be straight back into the side make no mistake.Imagine the outcry on this forum if Easty makes one cock- up with a fit again Jack waiting on the bench .
That’s not the way team selections work, if a player is out injured and you bring in a fringe player to cover and plays poorly then when the other player is for he would be back in without a doubt, however if the fringe player does well exceptionally perhaps then the other player has to earn his place back in the squad. Some clubs may take the attitude thanks you’ve done really well but you’re now being dropped because the other player is fit and raring to go, not really fair on the fringe player.

Whatever your opinion on Eastwood's ability, there is no way that he is regarded as a fringe player; Simon and Jack have equal billing in the squad - they both have differing strengths and weaknesses and I have no qualms on whoever starts. At the moment, Eastwood has the advantage of playing regularly and of being the current starting goalkeeper, so until he makes this anticipated "one cock-up", my opinion is that he will remain first choice between the sticks even if it's only to provide continuity.

Good point raised by OUFC Squad Numbers on Twitter. With Stevens still out, there will likely be one of the youth team keepers on the bench as Kie Plumley played for Weston earlier in the competition and Mackenzie Chapman is currently on loan at Banbury.

Whatever your opinion on Eastwood's ability, there is no way that he is regarded as a fringe player; Simon and Jack have equal billing in the squad - they both have differing strengths and weaknesses and I have no qualms on whoever starts. At the moment, Eastwood has the advantage of playing regularly and of being the current starting goalkeeper, so until he makes this anticipated "one cock-up", my opinion is that he will remain first choice between the sticks even if it's only to provide continuity.
Sorry I didn’t mean fringe player in the sense you maybe thinking of, Easty is a reserve keeper but always on the bench and quite rightly so is playing because of Jacks illness but in fairness to Easty if he’s performing well he’s taken his chance so should keep the shirt until such time for a change.

Good point raised by OUFC Squad Numbers on Twitter. With Stevens still out, there will likely be one of the youth team keepers on the bench as Kie Plumley played for Weston earlier in the competition and Mackenzie Chapman is currently on loan at Banbury.
cant Sam Long cover that position too? :sneaky:

I will bring my gloves just in case.

That’s not the way team selections work, if a player is out injured and you bring in a fringe player to cover and plays poorly then when the other player is for he would be back in without a doubt, however if the fringe player does well exceptionally perhaps then the other player has to earn his place back in the squad. Some clubs may take the attitude thanks you’ve done really well but you’re now being dropped because the other player is fit and raring to go, not really fair on the fringe player.
You could just as well argue that it’s not fair on the first team goalkeeper, doing fine and then get an illness which sees you out of the squad, you’re then effectively dropped for the rest of the season just because your replacement does ok?

You could just as well argue that it’s not fair on the first team goalkeeper, doing fine and then get an illness which sees you out of the squad, you’re then effectively dropped for the rest of the season just because your replacement does ok?
So Easty playe 7/8 games and does really well Jack just getting over imhis illness will still need to get up to 100% fitness but in the mean time Eastybyas blinders how do you drop him? He got dropped because he had a bad run of games and after the Swindon game he was quite rightly dropped and Jack came in and has done well. It’s a difficult decision for KR.

Eastwood has the number one shirt. I don't think anyone has a right to a place, if the team keeps winning the lineup will probably be kept largely the same until there's a reason to make a change.

Eastwood has the number one shirt. I don't think anyone has a right to a place, if the team keeps winning the lineup will probably be kept largely the same until there's a reason to make a change.
I agree, unfortunately there can’t be any sentiment in any sorts where substitutions are used. As you say no right to a shirt if they play and play well then they have to be strongly considered for the next game.

Well we’ll see what happens, but I suspect that Stevens will come back in fairly soon if he’s fully fit. Let’s see what Karl does!

Taylor picks up a very minor strain, someone else plays up top. We win. Taylor is fit for the next game. Not a chance he starts on the bench.

Stevens is massively ahead of Eastwood. He starts when fit. Simple.

Oxford mail reporting eastwood will be in goal for a little while longer as Stevens still has a fair bit of recovery to do. We're bloody lucky to have a first team quality backup like him though.
Would it be straight swap when stevens is fit, if Eastwood is playing well? Could it not also be seen that Eastwood has won his first team place back?

Fairly sure that Eddie Brearey is currently out injured as well, which means that we should see first year scholar Fraser Barnsley on the bench. What a fantastic experience for the lad, and based on his recent perfomances for the U-18s he deserves it.
Brearey was on the bench for youth team last night which could mean he's not fully fit or was being kept back to be in first team squad with Barnsley fully trusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom