6/08/22 - L1: OUFC v Cambridge United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a great team performance, but so happy for Tyler! Team needs to gel and hopefully there’s much more to come from individuals and the squad in general.

I’m confused about my ifollow - I have a monthly pass and last season I could listen live and then watch highlights when they went up. Today I’m locked out of the highlights?!!

So… anyone got a link to the Sky highlights yet?

Not a great team performance, but so happy for Tyler! Team needs to gel and hopefully there’s much more to come from individuals and the squad in general.

I’m confused about my ifollow - I have a monthly pass and last season I could listen live and then watch highlights when they went up. Today I’m locked out of the highlights?!!

So… anyone got a link to the Sky highlights yet?
ITV 4 now, L1 on next.

The Tyler goal will go down in Oxford history. Actually reminds me of a mirror image of a Joey Beauchamp goal at the Manor when he curled one into the far top corner for us to win 2-1 in last ten minutes. If that magic moment didn’t happen though we’d all be completely focusing on how toothless our attack was which it was. Taylor just can’t seem to hold the ball up effectively. Long diagonal balls are good when used effectively but we used them too much and rarely won the second ball. To be fair Robinson eventually recognised that we were getting caught out in midfield and when Bate came on he used the ball well and linked the play together so well. He has to start next league game and also Henry needs to start. Browne can then be used as the No. 10 cos he’s dangerous there and doesn’t have the positional sense to be effective CM.

Also, we need to make a decision on two things 1) is crucially are we going to sign two better full backs? cos Long and Seddon aren’t going to cut it
2) are we going to properly press teams or look to hold shape as the first two games, it’s all half measures and we’re not pressing as a team when we do go.

I feel the passing philosophy has been lost somewhat as when Taylor gets long balls, we might as well just pass the ball back to the opposition. If we want to play long ball, we need a more physically imposing striker.

Hopefully these things can be worked out quickly and we can look like a dangerous team again.

Last edited:
I was at the game, and we were painfully quiet, that is a fact. You say it’s a two way thing, but for me I don’t get that. We should all do our bit at least and then we can moan if the players don’t do theirs
So if you were there why didn’t you make some noise then?!

Great 3 points in the end. Bodin can’t play on the left in my opinion and thought he should have gone more central and Browne moved over to the left.
A left winger (Browne) on the left wing?! You know we have Karl Robinson in charge right. That would be waaay too simple.

A bit limp at times but I didn't think the game was as bad as many seem to. I certainly wasn't bored.

Very much looking forward to seeing more of Bate.

And Goodrham? Well...

Oh there was this clown he was basically saying the players were s**t his words were you could have picked 11 random people out of the car park and put them on the pitch oh he also thinks KR should be sacked he just went on and on he thought people were laughing with him but they were laughing at him
I think he posts on here?

A left winger (Browne) on the left wing?! You know we have Karl Robinson in charge right. That would be waaay too simple.
Browne could/ should be our best player but I must admit I’m not totally sure of his main position. I’d have said left wing but he’s very impressive in the air

Player ratings as I saw it:

Eastwood: 7 - Better than last week. Nice to see him trying to throw it out quicker, and his kicking was a bit more confident too. Not bad from crosses either.

Seddon: 7 - Another who improved on last week. Made one good tackle in the box, but also played a couple of wasteful balls to no-one and popped up in a few weird positions. More disciplined than before though.

Findlay: 7 - I don’t think he’s as good as McNally - even the now McNally, not the future one. But he is good. Solid, not slow, covers the left side well. Poor long passing today though.

Moore: 7 - Solid, a classic Moore game. Reliable player. Again poor long balls though which was frustrating at times.

Long: 5 - As others have alluded to, he was poor today. Some loose touches, didn’t get forwards much. Looks more and more like a decent centre back trying to play right back.

McGuane: 7 - Not as good as last week but was positionally disciplined which is what many on here have questioned. Deserves a continued run in the side.

Brannagan: 6 - Still not at his best and didn’t really affect the game much. Didn’t do a whole lot wrong though. Hope the failed move isn’t on his mind? I’m sure he will find his form again. Worked hard.

Browne: 6 - Looked a bit lost centrally. Got frustrated with the poor referee. In his short time out wide on the left seemed much more dangerous.

Bodin: 5 - Pretty anonymous out wide on the left. I just don’t think he has the page to play there. I’d like to see him given a chance to play centrally where he excelled last season.

Murphy: 6 - A performance of promise rather than too much actual end product. There’s definitely a player there if he gets his confidence up. Not slow either and can hit the ball nicely.

Taylor: 6 - Again toiled manfully up front and ploughed a lone furrow but was given absolutely nothing by the referee and wasn’t given much service.

So if you were there why didn’t you make some noise then?!

It felt like a pre season game to me. Most fans still in holiday mood and there was no spice with the opposition fans to add to the atmosphere. Still its nothing new, I've witnessed it for the past few seasons except our first one back in league one. It will eventually gear up to the atmosphere like the back end of last season.

ITV 4 now, L1 on next.
An unbelievable moment at the end for those who were in the ground....and of course, what a day for TG! We all went home pretty buoyant because the finish and build up was sublime.

However, we were a bit s**t today if we are all being honest. I did come away feeling positive about Findlay, McGuane, the cameo from Bate and of course the goal, but what the bloody hell have we been doing in pre season!?....Our fullbacks never ventured on, Capt.Moore was sloppier than a hookers undercarriage, Cam Bran was thinking about the weight of his fishing net rather than his passing, and Taylor jogged around like Trevor Aylott with a hernia.

Much improvement needed throughout along with fullbacks and a striker.
I agree almost entirely. Moore may be a good tactical captain but he is painfully slow and his passes are telegraphed and therefore often intercepted. The team should be looking to pass forward at every opportunity rather than back. When out of posession the pressing should be more positive - I don’t expect them to be as good at it as as Liverpool but putting pressure on the oppo fullbacks when they have possession should be a given in any situation.

I was very impressed with Josh Murphy. He put in an excellent day’s work. My MoM. Goalie was good too, his distribution was good and his policing of his area was excellent.

I thought our crowd was pretty poor. The visiting supporters were excellent with their big drum and all.

I did feel the ref made far too many decisions in favour of Cambridge and I’m trying to be as neutral as possible here - there was a definite Cambridge handball in the area and the penalty should definitely have been given.

All in all we were fortunate to win, albeit with a truly beautiful goal. A draw would have been a fairer result but you take what you’re given. We need to improve.

I tried to start a brand new one at the end of the first half. Bit unsure of the final lyrics though. To the tune of 'Can you hear the opposition sing?':

Can he see anything? Noooo, noooo
Can he see anything? The ref can't see a ****ing thing woooaaah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom