Manager/Coach KR on 5 minute forum this week

It's the current fashion
Teams at every level do it
Eventually a clever coach somewhere will find a way of countering it
As as been said before, all the managers and coaches have earned their badges from the same coaching manuals.

Why would they do anything that doesn't conform to what they have learned, especially if the data supports the teachings....

There's a a very good article in The Athletic today where OPTA have gone back and analysed every available televised world cup game and the writer describes the evolution of football tactics in the World Cup. Basically the 60s were long ball evolving to today's short passing game, and that playing back to move forward is OK.

I honestly don’t know why people get so worked up over what he says. The 5 minute forum is a PR exercise for the club.
People ask questions and the person who is answering with them will answer them in a way that doesn’t the club. Whether that be KR, Williams, Mous etc.
People seem to determine whether they like the answers depending on who is answering them (see Mous as an example).
If you want to dismiss what ever is said then fair enough but life is too short to get so worked up over just 1 interview.
Exactly! It's only 5-7mins plus to get your points across ramble or not and remember all the points in a multi choice question

Exactly! It's only 5-7mins plus to get your points across ramble or not and remember all the points in a multi choice question
And they asked pretty much all the questions (if you allow for the duplicated ones). I think the whole thing lasted over 10 minutes.

There's a a very good article in The Athletic today where OPTA have gone back and analysed every available televised world cup game and the writer describes the evolution of football tactics in the World Cup. Basically the 60s were long ball evolving to today's short passing game, and that playing back to move forward is OK.
I'd be interested in some of the nuance of that. It's one thing moving the ball about sideways and backwards if you have some movement going on in front of you (or else you just end up lumping long anyway), if you are confident that you can retain the ball when doing so (or you end up putting your own goal in danger) and that having slowed the game down, you have the ability to 'move up through the gears' (as they say!) to put some pressure at pace on the opposition (or it makes it incredibly difficult to break down the opposition defence, who of course you have given time to do so).

I can't help thinking that the quality of players (i.e. the ones who can carry out the above successfully) at televised world cup games might be on average better than those who play in the lower leagues (and are therefore less likely to be able to). It does sometimes seem to me that managers at all levels like to follow fashions - so (for example) KR sets his team up to play in a similar fashion to Manchester City without necessarily having the resources to do so.

I'd be interested in some of the nuance of that. It's one thing moving the ball about sideways and backwards if you have some movement going on in front of you (or else you just end up lumping long anyway), if you are confident that you can retain the ball when doing so (or you end up putting your own goal in danger) and that having slowed the game down, you have the ability to 'move up through the gears' (as they say!) to put some pressure at pace on the opposition (or it makes it incredibly difficult to break down the opposition defence, who of course you have given time to do so).

I can't help thinking that the quality of players (i.e. the ones who can carry out the above successfully) at televised world cup games might be on average better than those who play in the lower leagues (and are therefore less likely to be able to). It does sometimes seem to me that managers at all levels like to follow fashions - so (for example) KR sets his team up to play in a similar fashion to Manchester City without necessarily having the resources to do so.
I think you’ll find it’s Liverpool… 😉

We need to de register 2 to 4 players bring in 5 to 6 ! We need aggression now , plenty of fight with big Hearts , not fairy type of play any more ! Other teams in the league know how we play so Robbo let's mix it up a bit shall we !!!

We need to de register 2 to 4 players bring in 5 to 6 ! We need aggression now , plenty of fight with big Hearts , not fairy type of play any more ! Other teams in the league know how we play so Robbo let's mix it up a bit shall we !!!
By my reckoning, we don't need to deregister anyone as we have 3 spare spots already. That was part of the genius of our summer transfer window.

So we can line players up now and sign them the moment the window opens. That's my expectation, anyway.

By my reckoning, we don't need to deregister anyone as we have 3 spare spots already. That was part of the genius of our summer transfer window.

So we can line players up now and sign them the moment the window opens. That's my expectation, anyway.

Also if some of the new players are under u21 as well.

Having everybody back for a corner may work for the initial ball into the box which could be repelled however what are the figures for the following 30 seconds or so where the ball is returned to the box un opposed.
This

Having everybody back for a corner may work for the initial ball into the box which could be repelled however what are the figures for the following 30 seconds or so where the ball is returned to the box un opposed.
Very good point, our initial clearance of the ball is generally ok,especially by Taylor but with nobody else outside of the box it is easy for the opposition to retrieve the ball and have time to put another cross in.
Didn't Wycombe's goal come from a corner which we cleared to the half way line?Nobody there it was drilled back in and there centre back scored

Very good point, our initial clearance of the ball is generally ok,especially by Taylor but with nobody else outside of the box it is easy for the opposition to retrieve the ball and have time to put another cross in.
Didn't Wycombe's goal come from a corner which we cleared to the half way line?Nobody there it was drilled back in and there centre back scored
Don't worry, having told us all why he doesn't leave anyone up top, tomorrow he will. Just to show us how he's in charge and can do whatever he likes. And, woe betide anyone who questions that decision!

"Great question......but I can't answer that"

"Great question.........but it's unfair I answer that and need to respect the players"

Bore-fest.

Agree with you. By leaving nobody up you know the ball is coming back for sure. If you leave at least one up the opposition have to leave two back. If you're brave enough to leave two up, one right one left they have to leave four back.
Cue, but every team has everyone back these days!!

Don't worry, having told us all why he doesn't leave anyone up top, tomorrow he will. Just to show us how he's in charge and can do whatever he likes. And, woe betide anyone who questions that decision!
Hope he does Lounger I’m flying back from Spain and should arrive just in time to see us defend a corner, Eastwood claim it and hoof it down to Anderson who outpaces the man marking him and puts us one up 😀

Back
Top Bottom