Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

Having looked at the next 4 games I reckon we can get max points, MK, Peterborough, Swindon and Charlton, all winnable for sure, COYY’S, bring Dan back, he offers something different.
So we’re the last two games

Y
I absolutely agree with you. Lee is a quality player and through the middle could be a really good alternative to Maguane. When he gets on the ball, he is always positive and he can pick out a pass as well! I’ve been really impressed with him, since he arrived.

Barker was quality again tonight and was unlucky not to get an assist. Pace to burn and that’s exactly what we need. We need to start with pace on both wings. I just do not get this fascination with rotating our wingers! It makes no sense when you spend the first 45 playing sideways football and then have to chase the game in the last half an hour, because you’re 1-0 down. We need to get into teams early on and show some f*****g desire to get at them! We seem to be lacking b0llocks at the moment. We need a nasty streak.
Or if you are going to rest them, don't do it in a 6 pointer

But how many decent crosses did Shodipo get in last night? As opposed to giving away the ball or fouling? Barker contributed more in less time
I agree. Shodipo is a very raw, rough diamond, a very scatty player, who when played from the start, is a bit of a liability, and for me, given his current ability and experience, is currently nothing more than an impact sub, who seems more effective coming on after 70mins, against a tiring defence.

Unfortunately, in Barker and Shodipo, Robbo has yet again, brought in yet more players who are not fully fit, or too much of a raw, rough diamond, that they can't play from the start, or finish a full 90mins effectively, or play two games in quick succession, surprise surprise!

Get Barker fully fit and firing on all cylinders, and we've got an awesome player for the rest of the season, but for me, Shodipo needs a LOT of work, to be considered worthy of a starting place.

I would like us to lineup like this against MK

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Brannagan Gorrin
Shodipo Lee Barker
Taylor

4231. Brannagan and Gorrin holding. Shodpio and Barker out wide. Lee behind Taylor.

Last season I remember we were well beaten by Rotherham and then lost a 1-0 to Sunderland at home this time of year and we fell out of the top spots and I completely wrote us off.

KR seems to have the knack of having mini ‘resets’ within a season and the team building little runs of impressive results, just like the one following those results last season where we won 5 on the trot and in my opinion were headed towards that second automatic place until the season was cut short.

It’s all about how we react now and what we can do to cut the gap to the top 6 which in this league could only be two weeks away! COYY

I agree. Shodipo is a very raw, rough diamond, a very scatty player, who when played from the start, is a bit of a liability, and for me, given his current ability and experience, is currently nothing more than an impact sub, who seems more effective coming on after 70mins, against a tiring defence.

Unfortunately, in Barker and Shodipo, Robbo has yet again, brought in yet more players who are not fully fit, or too much of a raw, rough diamond, that they can't play from the start, or finish a full 90mins effectively, or play two games in quick succession, surprise surprise!

Get Barker fully fit and firing on all cylinders, and we've got an awesome player for the rest of the season, but for me, Shodipo needs a LOT of work, to be considered worthy of a starting place.
i get what you're saying but the return on Goals and assists/decent crosses combined are pretty decent

Is it a bit of mental fragility? We lost at Doncaster, but looked decent while we did so. So is the temptation then to be a bit less expansive, a bit more conservative because we got beaten and shipped three goals when being brave? Especially because we went into our shells but got a couple of wins (albeit while not playing very well)?

Our blips coincide with playing better teams so it is fair to say we arent as good as the top 8 or so.

I agree, I don't think we are ready to go up anyways , we can add to the playing staff all we like to try and keep us up but the fact is we will lose more money in the championship unless we can resolve the stadium issue. Lots more sponsorship, match day revenue to be had in the championship but not if you don't have control of the stadium.

I agree, I don't think we are ready to go up anyways , we can add to the playing staff all we like to try and keep us up but the fact is we will lose more money in the championship unless we can resolve the stadium issue. Lots more sponsorship, match day revenue to be had in the championship but not if you don't have control of the stadium.
The 8 million or so TV money is what the championship is all about . Losing to Wycombe cost us around that!!!

I don't see anyone mention it but it's been bugging me for several games now that Brannagan seems to not realise that our defenders can largely play football and actually pass a ball.

He always want to come and collect it from them at the back rather than playing the spaces and getting between the lines to give the likes of Atkinson or Moore an option to pass through and get us on the front foot, I can only assume this is because he doesn't feel comfortable receiving the ball with midfielders behind him and attackers in front, I don't really understand why this hasn't been coached out of him because I have no doubt he could do this, especially when we also have Gorrin alongside him to act as the barrier should a pass go awry

Oh God. Not this again. If thats our approach then we might as well pack up and go home (i think most of our players already have). One season in the champ, even losing every week, we'd be well set financially. I also believe there are plans at board level that are dependent on reaching the champ.

It is the most ludicrous argument that always sets in when we hit our annual losing run, or blow a final.

Our blips coincide with playing better teams so it is fair to say we arent as good as the top 8 or so.
According to some after last night there are still 18 games to play and points to play for, I think apart from Pompey we still have to play everyone above us. So I have to agree with your statement.

The 8 million or so TV money is what the championship is all about . Losing to Wycombe cost us around that!!!

Let's not forget the rent goes up under the current lease if we get to the championship. While the TV money goes up so does the outgoings . If we got up and didn't increase the wage we would struggle to stay up. What would attract more day tippers to the crowd? A promotion push league 1 team or a championship team struggling at the bottom?

The championship might not be so rosie after all unless we have the infrastructure in place to maximise it.

Let's not forget the rent goes up under the current lease if we get to the championship. While the TV money goes up so does the outgoings . If we got up and didn't increase the wage we would struggle to stay up. What would attract more day tippers to the crowd? A promotion push league 1 team or a championship team struggling at the bottom?

The championship might not be so rosie after all unless we have the infrastructure in place to maximise it.
And until we own our own ground we can kiss goodbye to any sort of regular class football

Cov and Rotherham have hardly gone mad spending and Cov will stay up while Rotherham are in with a chance to. If we did come down will be in a much more financially secure place to be top 5 league one .
Wycombe have just banked the money looking to the future , just purchased their training ground and at least won't be able to bleat about being skint next season !

Cov and Rotherham have hardly gone mad spending and Cov will stay up while Rotherham are in with a chance to. If we did come down will be in a much more financially secure place to be top 5 league one .
Wycombe have just banked the money looking to the future , just purchased their training ground and at least won't be able to bleat about being skint next season !

It depends on weather they try to go back up at the first attempt.

Back
Top Bottom