Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

They will very likely be competitive next season , that is what they have built towards . I hope they slide straight down to league 2 but unlikely that will be the case.

Cov and Rotherham have hardly gone mad spending and Cov will stay up while Rotherham are in with a chance to. If we did come down will be in a much more financially secure place to be top 5 league one .
Wycombe have just banked the money looking to the future , just purchased their training ground and at least won't be able to bleat about being skint next season !

Cant really judge on this seasons championship on the count of no fans so TV money has been more, also Sheff W were deducted points and alot of teams didn't spend much as we are still in a pandemic.

Other years suggest teams going up have really struggled unless they have spent a bit, I don't want us to go up, not spend and then be like it's fine we will be stronger next season to go back up. Ask Sunderland, Charlton etc its not always that easy.

I would rather we got it right off the pitch first so we can have a real good go at not only staying in the championship but also grow our fanbase.

Cant really judge on this seasons championship on the count of no fans so TV money has been more, also Sheff W were deducted points and alot of teams didn't spend much as we are still in a pandemic.

Other years suggest teams going up have really struggled unless they have spent a bit, I don't want us to go up, not spend and then be like it's fine we will be stronger next season to go back up. Ask Sunderland, Charlton etc its not always that easy.

I would rather we got it right off the pitch first so we can have a real good go at not only staying in the championship but also grow our fanbase.
Everyone would, of course, but just getting promoted would put us in a massively better position financially....if we wait until everything is just perfect then could be 5 or 10 years away from ' giving it a go ' . Lets get there and do it ASAP

Wycombe have just banked the money looking to the future , just purchased their training ground and at least won't be able to bleat about being skint next season !
Oh, when did they do that? I thought the training ground was owned by some nameless individuals (one of whom is rumoured to be a property developer) who purchased it as a benevolent act to save the football club from going bust. They subsequently leased it back to WW on a ten year lease. Couhig is supposed to have approached the owners to see about buying it back but wouldn't pay the asking price and a new temporary two year lease was being mentioned. This was as of November last year.

My WW supporting friend thinks that there is going to be some redevelopment of the airfield at Booker which is over the road from the training ground for housing and the current owners see a chance of a big bucks deal (see what I did there) if it goes ahead....

Let's not forget the rent goes up under the current lease if we get to the championship. While the TV money goes up so does the outgoings . If we got up and didn't increase the wage we would struggle to stay up. What would attract more day tippers to the crowd? A promotion push league 1 team or a championship team struggling at the bottom?

The championship might not be so rosie after all unless we have the infrastructure in place to maximise it.
What would attract more day trippers, you ask? A team struggling in the Championship presumably. The away end would be full for virtually every game; Forest, Derby, Birmingham, et al.

I don't see anyone mention it but it's been bugging me for several games now that Brannagan seems to not realise that our defenders can largely play football and actually pass a ball.

He always want to come and collect it from them at the back rather than playing the spaces and getting between the lines to give the likes of Atkinson or Moore an option to pass through and get us on the front foot, I can only assume this is because he doesn't feel comfortable receiving the ball with midfielders behind him and attackers in front, I don't really understand why this hasn't been coached out of him because I have no doubt he could do this, especially when we also have Gorrin alongside him to act as the barrier should a pass go awry
He seems generally reluctant to play more forward. He should be playing ahead of Gorrin not alongside him. To be fair though, considering the injury he suffered and the time he was out of the squad, he's getting up to speed remarkably quickly. Probably just lacks a bit of confidence at present. I have no doubt he will play himself back into being the player we know he's capable of being.

Oh, when did they do that? I thought the training ground was owned by some nameless individuals (one of whom is rumoured to be a property developer) who purchased it as a benevolent act to save the football club from going bust. They subsequently leased it back to WW on a ten year lease. Couhig is supposed to have approached the owners to see about buying it back but wouldn't pay the asking price and a new temporary two year lease was being mentioned. This was as of November last year.

My WW supporting friend thinks that there is going to be some redevelopment of the airfield at Booker which is over the road from the training ground for housing and the current owners see a chance of a big bucks deal (see what I did there) if it goes ahead....
There are plans well under way to purchase it of Mr Beeks I understand and will be announced very soon .

Agree apart from holding mid if Gorrin is out then I think then Hanson needs to fill in as otherwise very very lightweight !!

100% agree with this.

Hanson is a bit limited when it comes to his passing, but he's got a good engine, always works hard and is defensively responsible.

Brannagan is simply not as effective in the DCM role as he is in one of the roles further forwards, and Kelly is both too lightweight and isn't great defensively.

I get that we're having to play a lot of games in a short space of time and so players are going to have to take an occasional rest (although I'm really not sure that Pompey is the game I would have chosen to rest Gorrin. How about Tranmere in the Pointless Cup?) - but when we do, we should use the squad and play people in positions they're comfortable with rather than trying to cram "better" players into roles they're not suited to.

He seems generally reluctant to play more forward. He should be playing ahead of Gorrin not alongside him. To be fair though, considering the injury he suffered and the time he was out of the squad, he's getting up to speed remarkably quickly. Probably just lacks a bit of confidence at present. I have no doubt he will play himself back into being the player we know he's capable of being.
Absolutely agree with this. We need Brannagan back to his absolute best as we know he is one of the best in the division when he is. As you say, considering what he was potentially facing a few weeks ago it is remarkable that he has got this far and a real mark of his character too.

Yes he needs to be more aggressive (as in controlling the game and getting on the front foot) and he needs to trust his ball playing defence to do some of the job of bringing it out of defence too. When we were bang in form, the entire back four were doing this on a regular basis throughout the game and often the opposition simply didn't know whether to close them down (and create a gap) or let them run with it. Let them play, get Cam further up the field where he can pick the passes to unlock the opposition.

Let's not forget the rent goes up under the current lease if we get to the championship. While the TV money goes up so does the outgoings . If we got up and didn't increase the wage we would struggle to stay up. What would attract more day tippers to the crowd? A promotion push league 1 team or a championship team struggling at the bottom?

The championship might not be so rosie after all unless we have the infrastructure in place to maximise it.
Even shitty Luton are making a go of it and it’s not impossible Wycombe will start a fight back. Even if they go down they’ll be better off than they were.

Even shitty Luton are making a go of it and it’s not impossible Wycombe will start a fight back. Even if they go down they’ll be better off than they were.

Have to say that whilst I hope Wycombe do come straight back down - it was enjoyable seeing that they beat Reading yesterday!
The plastics promotion campaign getting derailed by their tinpot neighbors down the road!

Have to say that whilst I hope Wycombe do come straight back down - it was enjoyable seeing that they beat Reading yesterday!
The plastics promotion campaign getting derailed by their tinpot neighbors down the road!
Only game I have wanted wyc to win , ever !

I don't see anyone mention it but it's been bugging me for several games now that Brannagan seems to not realise that our defenders can largely play football and actually pass a ball.

He always want to come and collect it from them at the back rather than playing the spaces and getting between the lines to give the likes of Atkinson or Moore an option to pass through and get us on the front foot, I can only assume this is because he doesn't feel comfortable receiving the ball with midfielders behind him and attackers in front, I don't really understand why this hasn't been coached out of him because I have no doubt he could do this, especially when we also have Gorrin alongside him to act as the barrier should a pass go awry
I've noticed that as well, but it's actually something he's always done, that I've always felt is unnecessary

Cov and Rotherham have hardly gone mad spending and Cov will stay up while Rotherham are in with a chance to. If we did come down will be in a much more financially secure place to be top 5 league one .
as long as that pikey in charge doesn't spend it all on hair dye and leather jackets!

Oh God. Not this again. If thats our approach then we might as well pack up and go home (i think most of our players already have). One season in the champ, even losing every week, we'd be well set financially. I also believe there are plans at board level that are dependent on reaching the champ.

It is the most ludicrous argument that always sets in when we hit our annual losing run, or blow a final.

Even by your standards, I'm not sure losing one game is quite hitting an annual losing run!! I look forward to you announcing the winning run of the decade after we beat MK on Saturday!!!

Back
Top Bottom