Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

We are off again with posters who for some reason go giddy at the sheer thought of leaving the comfort zone of league one or two. There are thousands of die hard supporters who have given more than enough for the cause (OUFC) over the years to have a chance of watching their club compete in a higher league and setting their sat navs to places other than the usual suspects of clubs we have been straddled with over the last 10 years or so.

Fwiw I actually spoke to several supporters who at the thought of 'going up' last season suddenly turned into nervous wrecks of individuals...weird. All of them were wearing those incontinence pants as we got close. Then when little Wycombe showed their hand that they wanted it- irrespective of perhaps coming straight back down again (richer) they (WW) took it with both hands and then my incontinetal friends were then chomping and choking at the thought that little Wickly Wanderers were in status actually higher than us. I said it before and I'll say it again and again you can never engineer promotion you take it when it is presented...which we then blew big time!

I'd take a fourth from bottom finish anyday in a higher league with the prospect of bigger home crowds and the promise hopefully of next season having freedom in going to visit some super new and revamped old stadiums and in visiting our ol' chums Millwall. This would be an incredible journey to not just the old geezers like me having a bash again but it will give the young uns who follow their local team and go to school with their heads held high on a Monday morning against their plastic supporting friends a chance to experience all of what I said above...even if it was just for a season. What's not to like x.

Let's get back on track KR...

COYY'S.

We are off again with posters who for some reason go giddy at the sheer thought of leaving the comfort zone of league one or two. There are thousands of die hard supporters who have given more than enough for the cause (OUFC) over the years to have a chance of watching their club compete in a higher league and setting their sat navs to places other than the usual suspects of clubs we have been straddled with over the last 10 years or so.

Fwiw I actually spoke to several supporters who at the thought of 'going up' last season suddenly turned into nervous wrecks of individuals...weird. All of them were wearing those incontinence pants as we got close. Then when little Wycombe showed their hand that they wanted it- irrespective of perhaps coming straight back down again (richer) they (WW) took it with both hands and then my incontinetal friends were then chomping and choking at the thought that little Wickly Wanderers were in status actually higher than us. I said it before and I'll say it again and again you can never engineer promotion you take it when it is presented...which we then blew big time!

I'd take a fourth from bottom finish anyday in a higher league with the prospect of bigger home crowds and the promise hopefully of next season having freedom in going to visit some super new and revamped old stadiums and in visiting our ol' chums Millwall. This would be an incredible journey to not just the old geezers like me having a bash again but it will give the young uns who follow their local team and go to school with their heads held high on a Monday morning against their plastic supporting friends a chance to experience all of what I said above...even if it was just for a season. What's not to like x.

Let's get back on track KR...

COYY'S.
IMO OUFC belong in what is now the Championship ( around/ just above mid table)

I struggle to see why anyone would want not to promote. Although this could be why Tiger keeps giving Robinson long contracts, hmmm.

On Tuesday we lost because we didn't control the pass but allowed the ball to balloon up and then lose the next challenge. Pompey midfield played as a unit but more importantly the player on the ball was prepared to pass forward to the feet of a marked player trusting them to hold the ball and possibly beat the marker. Our default is the safe negative pass. Is this a consequence of our statistical data analysis. Players seem scared to risk a positive pass in case it goes wrong. Hopefully I am wrong but if not then this sideways negative slow build up will take away any prospect of promotion

On Tuesday we lost because we didn't control the pass but allowed the ball to balloon up and then lose the next challenge. Pompey midfield played as a unit but more importantly the player on the ball was prepared to pass forward to the feet of a marked player trusting them to hold the ball and possibly beat the marker. Our default is the safe negative pass. Is this a consequence of our statistical data analysis. Players seem scared to risk a positive pass in case it goes wrong. Hopefully I am wrong but if not then this sideways negative slow build up will take away any prospect of promotion
We seem to have become nervous and frantic, maybe since the quick collapse at Doncaster. To play our football we need to be confident and relaxed, let’s hope Karl can get them in the right frame of mind again soon.

We seem to have become nervous and frantic, maybe since the quick collapse at Doncaster. To play our football we need to be confident and relaxed, let’s hope Karl can get them in the right frame of mind again soon.

It's also true that Pompey did to us what every opponent should do against us - a heavy press whenever we even thought about bringing the ball forwards. They let the back four pass it around safely in our half, but any pass forwards or any of our backline bringing the ball forwards, and they were immediately on us, nipping at heels and generally harassing.

It's been the case through most of KR's tenure - sit back against us, and we'll tear you apart but press us and we do get nervous and frantic.
Until the carnage of the final few minutes, I think I counted only two good pieces of play from us (both in the first half) where we passed it quickly and accurately - the move where Shodipo should have taken it early, but delayed his shot and got it blocked; and the gorgeous Lee flick that led to Henry getting in a decent shot on goal. The rest of the time, the press got to us and we eventually gave it away.

Part of me wonders why every team doesn't play against us that way because it's so frickin' obvious that it works.
I think it's likely just laziness - either from the players because they don't want to work that hard, or from the opposition management because they can't be bothered to do some proper tactical scouting......

It's also true that Pompey did to us what every opponent should do against us - a heavy press whenever we even thought about bringing the ball forwards. They let the back four pass it around safely in our half, but any pass forwards or any of our backline bringing the ball forwards, and they were immediately on us, nipping at heels and generally harassing.

It's been the case through most of KR's tenure - sit back against us, and we'll tear you apart but press us and we do get nervous and frantic.
Until the carnage of the final few minutes, I think I counted only two good pieces of play from us (both in the first half) where we passed it quickly and accurately - the move where Shodipo should have taken it early, but delayed his shot and got it blocked; and the gorgeous Lee flick that led to Henry getting in a decent shot on goal. The rest of the time, the press got to us and we eventually gave it away.

Part of me wonders why every team doesn't play against us that way because it's so frickin' obvious that it works.
I think it's likely just laziness - either from the players because they don't want to work that hard, or from the opposition management because they can't be bothered to do some proper tactical scouting......
I’m thinking that even in Appleton’s time we were vulnerable to that approach. We certainly can seem a fragile team, not helped by the fact that our only hard player tends to get booked within half an hour.

I’m thinking that even in Appleton’s time we were vulnerable to that approach. We certainly can seem a fragile team, not helped by the fact that our only hard player tends to get booked within half an hour.
Most teams are vulnerable to hard pressing. It takes a lot of fitness to do it for 90 minutes, game after game but with five subs should be easier. Liverpool when Klopp first came in were probably the best but they struggled to maintain it game after game for 90 minutes hence why they scaled back a bit.

With a bit of financial clout behind us, the championship is completely different to the old division 2 where were quite happy with

I find it strange that when Kelly or McGuane plays even if they dont play well invariably we try and pass the ball. When both of them don't play we seem incapable of passing the ball and resort to long ball to strikers who cannot play that way.
I equally accept that we are better that the average sides in this league but don't seem to have the ability or confidence to breakdown the better footballing sides.
A midfield that includes Henry and Sykes always has the potential to be overrun which means lumping it is the only tactic to get the ball forward. McGuane is obviously a huge loss because he can physically compete in midfield but also pass the ball in a meaninful way, i.e pass the ball forwards with conviction.

But what is that opinion based on? Every club finds it's level at any given time. Not that long ago our level was the National League. Currently it's top half of League 1. It's possible, if unlikely, that next season we will be playing in the Championship but we have no god given right to be doing so. In terms of current facilities and investment I would say we are about where we should be, if not punching slightly above our weight.

But what is that opinion based on? Every club finds it's level at any given time. Not that long ago our level was the National League. Currently it's top half of League 1. It's possible, if unlikely, that next season we will be playing in the Championship but we have no god given right to be doing so. In terms of current facilities and investment I would say we are about where we should be, if not punching slightly above our weight.
When we were managed by ..... a certain Arthur Turner (!) ... OUFC rose from non league to the old second division ( now The Championship) in 6 seasons and spent a while there..... Under managers Smith J ( one season), and Smith D, OUFC also spent time at that level too ( we also spent 3 seasons in the old First division - now PL under Maurice Evans- however, fun though it was, Milk cup final etc, that was, In MY opinion when OUFC were actually punching above our weight)..... What do I base MY opinion on you ask?, well, for starters Its MY opinion ( and I d say that of a few other fellow OUFC supporters too?) that OUFC SHOULD be playing at Championship level and that's what forums are about isn't it, different opinions- indeed ,as yours seems to be an opinion of OUFC are and have been a bit s**t, and have set the bar very low, ambition wise ? ...which of course is YOUR opinion, which you are entitled to hold and share ........ I also think, again MY opinion, that OUFC are more than able & capable of sustaining a place in the Championship, of course the Stadium situation needs addressing/sorting ( stadium issues hasn't stopped Cov City playing in the Championship though has it?) .... nobody asked what a god given right to what level OUFC's was in this thread, that I can recall(?), only person to mention that is you @arthurturner , based on what?, erroneous speculative assumption? ... to reiterate I think OUFC SHOULD be playing football at Championship level, .... Ive been watching OUFC since the first season the name was changed from HUFC, seen many highs n lows of fortunes, more lows than highs over the 6 decades plus too, nonetheless , In MY opinion Oxford United SHOULD be not only playing at Championship level, but also after getting back there ( soon I hope) , an established championship level side too .... Up The Manor ;)

When we were managed by ..... a certain Arthur Turner (!) ... OUFC rose from non league to the old second division ( now The Championship) in 6 seasons and spent a while there..... Under managers Smith J ( one season), and Smith D, OUFC also spent time at that level too ( we also spent 3 seasons in the old First division - now PL under Maurice Evans- however, fun though it was, Milk cup final etc, that was, In MY opinion when OUFC were actually punching above our weight)..... What do I base MY opinion on you ask?, well, for starters Its MY opinion ( and I d say that of a few other fellow OUFC supporters too?) that OUFC SHOULD be playing at Championship level and that's what forums are about isn't it, different opinions- indeed ,as yours seems to be an opinion of OUFC are and have been a bit s**t, and have set the bar very low, ambition wise ? ...which of course is YOUR opinion, which you are entitled to hold and share ........ I also think, again MY opinion, that OUFC are more than able & capable of sustaining a place in the Championship, of course the Stadium situation needs addressing/sorting ( stadium issues hasn't stopped Cov City playing in the Championship though has it?) .... nobody asked what a god given right to what level OUFC's was in this thread, that I can recall(?), only person to mention that is you @arthurturner , based on what?, erroneous speculative assumption? ... to reiterate I think OUFC SHOULD be playing football at Championship level, .... Ive been watching OUFC since the first season the name was changed from HUFC, seen many highs n lows of fortunes, more lows than highs over the 6 decades plus too, nonetheless , In MY opinion Oxford United SHOULD be not only playing at Championship level, but also after getting back there ( soon I hope) , an established championship level side too .... Up The Manor ;)
Absolutely right @Sarge we should be playing at a higher level. Like you, I'm also old enough to remember the old first and second divisions. I was introduced to OUFC in the old second division. The spell in the first coincided with my working abroad so I missed it all but, cannot see any reason why we can't go back up and would welcome the travel to the more exotic locations for away matches. And, what many forget, we are still "owed" a foray into the European footy world.

I don’t think there is any ‘should’ about it, we are a div 3 club in terms of size and fan base and if we went up would be one of the smallest clubs in the championship. However if Luton and Rotherham can make a go of it we shouldn’t fear the adventure.

I don’t think there is any ‘should’ about it, we are a div 3 club in terms of size and fan base and if we went up would be one of the smallest clubs in the championship. However if Luton and Rotherham can make a go of it we shouldn’t fear the adventure.
Size doesnt matter ....apparently :sneaky:

Agree with that, Luton are building a new stadium and their support probably will grow, Rotherham have lots of clubs near them in location so will struggle to get big crowds.

The problem was when we moved to the kassam we were going down the leagues so never attracted the extra crowd, not to mention the stadium never got finished so didn't have the pull of the population it promised.

Need to do it right this time and there is no reason why we couldn't get 10k home fans in a nice new stadium.

Back
Top Bottom