Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

I hope that's the last we see of Cam Bran in the "Gorrin role" unless we are chasing a game. He is one of the best box to box midfielders in the league, please Robbo do not limit his ability again by saddling him with all the defensive responsibility and asking to break up the play, that's not what he's there to do for us. Use Hanson as the backup water carrier so our top players like Cam can create for us instead..

IMO OUFC belong in what is now the Championship ( around/ just above mid table)
The only thing I know since I’ve supported oufc we’ve never been in the championship last season was the closest we’ve got we’ve had years in leagues 1-2 a few years in non league but championship never unfortunately it would be bloody lovely to be able to say that the team I support are in the championship but never happened yet 🙁

Our big day out is to M&S on a Friday. Funny how routines have got established.
Yes, I am looking forward to a vist to Aldi on Sunday for some 'click and collect' shopping'! Not something I thought I would ever say...

We have an Aldi and a Waitrose on the same estate in Faringdon, it's so exciting to shop in both and compare purchases.

Also the difference in clientele and shopping habits is very telling!

What lives we all lead!

We have an Aldi and a Waitrose on the same estate in Faringdon, it's so exciting to shop in both and compare purchases.

Also the difference in clientele and shopping habits is very telling!

What lives we all lead!
Pick up a Costa drive through while you're there and then you truly will be living the dream:cool:

With a bit of financial clout behind us, the championship is completely different to the old division 2 where were quite happy with
This was from 2019, so the figures are probably worse now.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't go for it, of course we should, but it's not financially sustainable.

I disagree. The guy runs like a teddy bear, he’s so slow.

He’s had months of training and game time now, and has only showed slight improvements in his fitness levels.

Robbo has a history or bringing in broken players, who haven’t played for ages, and need “mini pre seasons” and it’s costing us, because when our existing first choice players lose form or get injured, they’re then replaced with crocks or players who clearly aren’t up to it anymore.

Winnall should never have been brought into the club, we needed a fully fit, ready to go striker, to provide proper competition for Taylor, but instead Robbo brought in a player who was so unfit, that even after 6 months, he’s still not up to it.

It’s beyond infuriating
Ironically he chose not to go for Grigg who has already scored a couple and will be itching to score on Saturday - maybe that was a mistake

Ironically he chose not to go for Grigg who has already scored a couple and will be itching to score on Saturday - maybe that was a mistake

I doubt Grigg would of scored many for us in the last 2 games as the midfield have been giving our front players zero service. I don't think Winnal can really play our system he seems unable to play in a front 3 and comes a bit more alive when we go 2 strikers upfront.

He may be let go in the summer or loaned out in my opinion.

I doubt Grigg would of scored many for us in the last 2 games as the midfield have been giving our front players zero service. I don't think Winnal can really play our system he seems unable to play in a front 3 and comes a bit more alive when we go 2 strikers upfront.

He may be let go in the summer or loaned out in my opinion.
Listen to you lot, he was the best thing ever when he scored two the other week. You can be so hysterical

Absolutely right @Sarge we should be playing at a higher level. Like you, I'm also old enough to remember the old first and second divisions. I was introduced to OUFC in the old second division. The spell in the first coincided with my working abroad so I missed it all but, cannot see any reason why we can't go back up and would welcome the travel to the more exotic locations for away matches. And, what many forget, we are still "owed" a foray into the European footy world.
I agree but I also agree with @arthurturner you can only be in the division you are in and have no divine right to say you belong in this or that division. I remember Oaren Brady when she was at Birmingham City and she said they were a premiership club even though they were in the championship at the time, and that was why she was asking for a premiership 2. Since the late statement Birmingham city have diced with relegation to the L1 and haven’t been Close to promotion to the premiership. So they’re not a premiership club.

I said at the time when we were in the top flight that a little investment then could and probably would have kept us in that top league but of course The Owner had other plans.
Our history also tells us that when we look like doing something again there follows shall we say issues with Owners and Manager/s, we should also never forget that much of our success into the top flight was that we actual bought success and we all know how...If we look at things objectively then we are probably a 3rd division club

I've said many times over the years that nobody has a right to anything, promotion is not easy and opportunities don't come along that often but when they do you need to grasp them but unfortunately due to various factors we have watched those rare chances disappear over the horizon.

“Would you like to earn enough from one season in the Championship to pay off nearly every penny that the club owes, which also means you have an amazing season on the way to it, and the worst case scenario is that you get booted back down to where you are now, ready to go again with an almost totally clean financial slate?”

“No. I would like to fall at the final fence at best. I like where we are and want to stay here indefinitely, just bobbing about in a sea of grey.”

Said no sane human being ever.

“Would you like to earn enough from one season in the Championship to pay off nearly every penny that the club owes, which also means you have an amazing season on the way to it, and the worst case scenario is that you get booted back down to where you are now, ready to go again with an almost totally clean financial slate?”

“No. I would like to fall at the final fence at best. I like where we are and want to stay here indefinitely, just bobbing about in a sea of grey.”

Said no sane human being ever.
Wasn't it the WW fan who came on here that admitted it was a lost cause in the Championship but, they would come back with a pocketful of cash and no debts?

Wasn't it the WW fan who came on here that admitted it was a lost cause in the Championship but, they would come back with a pocketful of cash and no debts?
I thought they saved money during the first lockdown when they made all their staff redundant

I thought they saved money during the first lockdown when they made all their staff redundant
That was before they went up . If we had beaten them then they would be in an awful financial state .....as it is they are now secure ...that bliming game!

Back
Top Bottom