Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

Wasn't it the WW fan who came on here that admitted it was a lost cause in the Championship but, they would come back with a pocketful of cash and no debts?
Possibly. West Brom built their entire club by getting promoted to the PL, getting relegated and pocketing the money, investing a little more and getting back up, then coming down and pocketing the money, investing a little more and getting back up etc. They were a yo-yo club for years while being totally sustainable and never risking their existence, and then one day they went up and stayed up, and stayed in the PL for some years after that. They only went back down to the Championship for a bit due to poor management, which came after a takeover from a large eastern consortium. Rotherham have basically done the same between the Championship and L1 and as a result have funded a lovely stadium that is exactly what they need, and had very modest and extremely manageable debt pre-Covid.

Every owner wants promotion, as does every person employed by a club and every player who plays for one. So when any supporter says they don’t want it, they’re very much on their own versus the people who run and work for the business. This idea that getting money means you have to start overspending is crazy. It’s like the American gun laws - you’re allowed a gun, you don’t have to own one. I’m not sure how people think we survive by standing still forever. Why would any owner keep propping us up for no chance of success, and why would any player want to join for the same reason?

It’s beyond daft.

Possibly. West Brom built their entire club by getting promoted to the PL, getting relegated and pocketing the money, investing a little more and getting back up, then coming down and pocketing the money, investing a little more and getting back up etc. They were a yo-yo club for years while being totally sustainable and never risking their existence, and then one day they went up and stayed up, and stayed in the PL for some years after that. They only went back down to the Championship for a bit due to poor management, which came after a takeover from a large eastern consortium. Rotherham have basically done the same between the Championship and L1 and as a result have funded a lovely stadium that is exactly what they need, and had very modest and extremely manageable debt pre-Covid.

Every owner wants promotion, as does every person employed by a club and every player who plays for one. So when any supporter says they don’t want it, they’re very much on their own versus the people who run and work for the business. This idea that getting money means you have to start overspending is crazy. It’s like the American gun laws - you’re allowed a gun, you don’t have to own one. I’m not sure how people think we survive by standing still forever. Why would any owner keep propping us up for no chance of success, and why would any player want to join for the same reason?

It’s beyond daft.
Wycombe aren't making quite as bad a fist of it as you'd expect, and they've spent modestly, picking up old lag Jordan Obita from local rivals and getting a Leicester player on loan plus experienced goalie David Stockdale, who I have vaguely heard of. I bet they aren't suddenly paying their core squad silly money.

It’s beyond daft.
Unfortunately there are players who use us as a stepping stone and in many cases with the clubs blessing when they sign which can have an impact when trying to build a squad but that's a separate subject.

From a fans perspective you have to have hope and that dream or what's the point

The only thing I know since I’ve supported oufc we’ve never been in the championship last season was the closest we’ve got we’ve had years in leagues 1-2 a few years in non league but championship never unfortunately it would be bloody lovely to be able to say that the team I support are in the championship but never happened yet 🙁
in my first 16 years of supporting Oxford, we only spent 2 years lower than the Championship.

Got to have ambition but a lot of championship fans who have gone up will tell you the Premier league is miserable.

I like the way Winnall has gone from a top alternative upfront to the worst striker to play for us since Anthrobus in the space of 90 minutes.
I think it's more a case of him being our ONLY alternative, and in the space of 90 mins, he's showed he's absolutely nowhere near the level required

I have had this theory for years and years, however any loyal, honest football supporter who thinks they can gate crash the top 10 of the premiership for a sustainable period after being promoted from the championship are deluded, there have been pretenders, ie Blackburn however they soon ended up worse off and in the third tier of English football before stabilising mid table in the championship.....
My theory......
* Firstly, you need an owner, a chairman and a board of directors with a mixture of business knowledge and a love for the club.
* Then, Build a championship team with up and coming players rather than ex premiership journeymen, sign them on 3 year deals without breaking the bank (and always keep 3 years in advance) however build in a promotion bonus that would make it worthwhile to the players.
Gaining promotion (which could take time) so appointing a manager with lower league or continental experience is key.
* After promotion keep the same group of players together (remember all payers still have at least 2 years left on their contract) and play the season through, the likely hood is relegation will almost certainly be apparent however you still have the players (on a minimum 1 year left on their contract) that got the team promoted the previous year.
* Again, reward the players and put them back on a total of a 3 year contract (some players may leave, however try and keep the group together) but replace the leavers with young, upcoming players again.
The team and the club may now be in exactly the same position as they were 2 seasons ago however the money coming into the club now is obscene and will sustain a championship club for decades and there will always be longer stays in the top flight however every club knows its place in the pyramid.
A championship / premiership yo yo club should be the most sustainable club ever if managed well and realise breaking the bank to reach success will always end in tears, if not worse.....

Back
Top Bottom