Home Match Day Thread 18/5/2021 Play Off L1 OUFC v Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to say you didn’t like your seat?
Whatever gave you that idea :ROFLMAO:

Better team won last night, plain and simple. We are effective playing one way (and normally very effective at that when it works) But Blackpool's organisation, movement and physicality was second to none last night Yates and Simms are as good up top as any in this division. That said two defensive errors from us (and the first should never have happened if it hadn't been Sykes lack of judgement to give away the free kick in the first place) and a effective counter were all they needed. And we did not take the chances given either..

As someone up the thread said - almost a carbon copy of how they played against us earlier in the season, could we mitigate against it - possibly, but not without lessening our threat ...... AND utilising our assets i the home leg was probably our best hope.

We can analyse who did/didn't perform on the night but I actually think that is a bit disingenuous to just how well Blackpool performed on the night....as bitterly disappointing as that may be.

Re The Handball

The Referee has stated that the ball came at the defender too quickly

Under normal circumstances this would be 'just one of those things' and something to laugh about but we were instructed to sit in our allocated seats, like everyone else and, if you can't identify your allocated seat, what do you do? (we tried asking the stewards - they didn't know either)
It begs the question, what do OUFC pay Stadco for?

Maybe the end of the stadiun licence post that was on here last week was somewhat truthful as stadco clearly never cleaned the stadium. Maybe lack of maintenance is how we have got out of the contract. 😜 We should of played last night at Wycombe we may have got a better result there.

It was an unusual place to sit, three rows up from pitch level, block 27. The view wasn't bad, different for sure but you lost sight of the East stand goal and the perspective meant you were never sure where the ball was really going.
Good job we had some wet wipes with us as well, the seats were filthy dirty covered in who knows how many years of grime. The toilets were still displaying evidence of last seasons usage and no hand dryers or paper towels. We've seen worse in other grounds but, this is our home stadium. Stadco should be ashamed and any talk of 'maintenance' is a joke. Even the numbers and row markings had worn away so it was very difficult to work out which seat was which.
Under normal circumstances this would be 'just one of those things' and something to laugh about but we were instructed to sit in our allocated seats, like everyone else and, if you can't identify your allocated seat, what do you do? (we tried asking the stewards - they didn't know either)
It begs the question, what do OUFC pay Stadco for?
A mate of mine was on the opposite side to you, right up the fence end ssl 1st row, he said he had a perfect view of 5 subs warming up in front of him and a sky cameraman.🤣

I know a few get pissed with my positivity so I've left it a while before posting!

Firstly, that was as emotional as I've been at a game for a very very long time. Recognising some old faces but missing many more, and know that some would never be back, hit me harder than I thought. I'm not ashamed to say that it brought a few tears to my eyes and made me realise that this was more than just a game.

As for the game, Blackpool were very good but we didn't really show up. We didn't have the fight that has been such a part of our recent run. It's hard to pin this on any individual but collectively it just felt like it was one game too far. But let's not talk about people not carrying. The players were hurting at the end, and as fans we need to be there for the good times and the bad.

The only positive is that we looked the same against Accrington but followed that up with a tonking against Crewe. Sadly, I think Blackpool are just too good to blow this lead - but stranger things have happened and an early goal or 2 could turn this on it's head.

Believing may no longer be enough! But we can pray and hang on to the thinnest of strands of hope and if it doesn't happen then at least we've given it a go and will clearly know where we need to improve.

Onwards and upwards!!
Do you live in the treetops?

This is where Marcus McGuane (or another player of the same type) would have made a difference for me as they would have had to change their tactics as we'd have had an alternative. This is bourne out by runs through the middle caused them problems when we did it yesterday.
Atkinson would make a good centre midfielder. Can run with the ball and is pretty tough. Would also flummex blacpool.

(I know we sold him and he is knackered but) at times during the game I felt we missed a 'Baptiste' type. Someone with strength who was prepared to get on the ball in the middle of the field and move forward with it at pace. Atkinson did it from further back to an extent, but he often just loses the ball and then we are a defender short!

Mark Sykes asked the Ref about the handball just afterwards and the Ref said it had come at him too quickly to be deliberate according to MS's interview on RadOx. As an aside MS sounded utterly crestfallen and he did on the pitch as well. I suspect he was blaming himself for not taking that chance in the 2nd half.
I was sat in line in the North Stand and saw Sykes get quite a shove just as he raised his leg to shoot, what surprised me was how he, and the rest of the team, didn’t go beserk at the ref! We did in our seats!

Morning folks, another Blackpool fan here but one with a big soft spot for you guys as I spend a few years in the early 80s watching Oxford as part of the Junior Supporters club.

I grew up in Aylesbury which meant a 400+ mile round trip to Blackpool every other week as a kid wasn't really feasible at the time, so my dad (a lifelong Blackpool fan himself) and I adopted you as our local team so we could watch some football on a Saturday (and a 45 minute each way drive as opposed to 4 hours or so!). This meant a good few years at the Manor Ground (probably 80-84 or so), of which I still have very fond memories, watching the likes of Shotton, Briggs (later to be a favourite of mine at Blackpool), Chicken George, Hebberd etc. My love of Oxford was only every going to be a temporary affair as Blackpool always had my heart (despite us being utterly rubbish back then) but I really enjoyed my time watching you, still look out for you now and relish the games against you (they feel like some sort of weird derby just for me!)

I miss the Manor Ground, it was a great place to watch football, although I still question the wisdom of putting the families in that terrace in the corner next to the away fans - I can remember at least one occasion when me, my dad and my grandad had to avoid coins and other missiles coming the the Cuckoo Lane stand aimed at the fans beyond where we stood! I also learnt a lot of new words from listening to the away support too back then. The only thing I probably didn't really enjoy was the pissy stench of that tunnel under the stand when going to the toilet or snack bar.

My last visit to the Manor Ground was 1996 and that Joey Beauchamp wonder-strike that killed our hopes of automatic. It was inevitable that he would score as I'd brought a couple of mates with me that day, one of which was a West Ham fan who had been slagging him off all morning. We had a great laugh with some of your fans before the game, and agreed that we'd meet up after the game whatever the result in a pub just around the corner (maybe on Stephen Road or the Old High street?). I was a bit apprehensive about walking into a pub full of home fans wearing my Blackpool colours but we stuck to the plan and ended up having a cracking night - no aggro from potential promotion rivals, just some lads buying me drinks for making up for beating us! It's stuck with me ever since - you are a decent set of supporters.

I obviously hope that Friday should be a formality now, but any Blackpool fan will have Bradford 1996 in my mind when we threw away a two goal away lead in the play offs to lose 3 nil so I'm taking nothing for granted. Whatever happens I'll continue to look out for you and all the best for next season (apart from if you are playing us obviously).
Thank you for the kind words.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, you're welcome back on this forum anytime.

Good luck in the final.

Thank heavens the seven fingered troll from Devises, has disappeared, I was about to get my Doc Martin's out of the cupboard

OWS Official Web Site
www.oufc.co.uk
under heading iFollow
Karl’s deluded. Yeah, the tie isn’t over because we’ve got another 90mins to play, but Blackpool outmuscled us and nothing makes me think that’ll be any different on Friday.

Obviously would love us to turn it around, but seriously cannot see it.

Karl’s deluded. Yeah, the tie isn’t over because we’ve got another 90mins to play, but Blackpool outmuscled us and nothing makes me think that’ll be any different on Friday.

Obviously would love us to turn it around, but seriously cannot see it.

Do you honestly expect him to come out and say, "we're fucked, might as well play the kids!!"

interesting stat watching back on sky just now.Since December 15th we are top on points won, wins, goals scored and shots on target and 2nd on shots overall.
Shame about the first 10-15 games then that had us in the bottom four. It has happened three seasons running. That has to stop from now on.

Having had 24 hours on this, never say never, Karl can turn this around, this would be a motivation which I saw on their forum

Jokers!

Attachments

• 74063BBF-3DAF-470C-A31E-A86ED2B1444E.jpeg
    74063BBF-3DAF-470C-A31E-A86ED2B1444E.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 63
If I was a player I’d want to put that right for sure, get an early goal and who knows…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom