Away Match Day Thread 22/02/2022 L1: Crewe Alexandra v OUFC

Henry scored on his return v qpr behind closed doors today.

Browne wasn’t involved.

Either injured or in the squad tonight 🤔

The Crewe coaching staff must have been scratching their heads when they reviewed the video of the Charlton game to work out how to stop us repeating the performance. Whatever they go for hopefully it won't involve kicking our playmakers rather than the ball.
Or they could take a look at the Cheltenham and Accrington games. If teams have the players and tactical nous, they know what they probably need to do. It won't always work but there is a way.

• React
Reactions: m
Ian Crook must be getting on a bit now, remember him playing for Norwich. Hopefully a pay-as-you-play deal, not a 3 year contract...

And I always thought of Peter Hook as being more of a bassist.

currently blue sky, sun shining and 9 degrees here just 10 miles away
Yeah - i'm in South Manchestar and same, though it's pretty windy
Sunny and breezy here at the Crunchy Cereal Stadium after chucking it down this morning. Locals seem quite confident that the game will be on so long as we don't get any more rain. They were not at all happy that Saturday's game against Pompey was called off at 2:00 and definitely want tonight's game to go ahead. Also a suspicion that a muddy pitch may hinder our playing out from the back so expect a high press a la Wigan.
Yeah cool - I live in South Manchester, so not far and its actually clear, blue skies and sunny - just fairly windy, so i'm hopeful. Just a question of how much they've managed to tidy up the pitch from the weekend rather than today's weather. Promising!

PLAYED FOR BOTH

FLjWH5tXsAI-lws

Includes Daniel Agyei, Billy Bodin, Steve Anthrobus, Steve Davis, Harry Worley, Billy Whitehurst and Chey Dunkley.

If anyone is looking to buy a ticket on the day message me - I've got a spare adult ticket as a mate booked one with me and now can't make it due to work commitments, I'll be getting to the ground for about 7ish so can meet there.

I said this on Saturday's thread, but I'm a bit nervous using Sykes as a wingback against decent wingers because he isn't the best defensively (McNally did a great job of protecting him in the first hour against Charlton, but the one time he was isolated against Jaiyesimi, he got absolutely skinned.....

......buuuut, given where Crewe are in the table, I can't imagine that they have any decent wingers (EDIT - I've just remembered that Crewe now have Dan Agyei, and he's probably going to be playing.....but whilst I'm not sure I'd be thrilled at Sykes trying to defend him, I'm assuming he'll be on the right and so running into the teeth of Long & Williams). So I'd use Sykes and Williams at WB again, and really try and dominate.
(and probably same again against Cambridge........but then a little more circumspect next week at Fratton Park)

So if everyone is good to go - same XI and same formation as Saturday, please.
We were so good that we should only be making changes if anyone has a knock, or is in need of a breather.

I said this on Saturday's thread, but I'm a bit nervous using Sykes as a wingback against decent wingers because he isn't the best defensively (McNally did a great job of protecting him in the first hour against Charlton, but the one time he was isolated against Jaiyesimi, he got absolutely skinned.....

......buuuut, given where Crewe are in the table, I can't imagine that they have any decent wingers (EDIT - I've just remembered that Crewe now have Dan Agyei, and he's probably going to be playing.....but whilst I'm not sure I'd be thrilled at Sykes trying to defend him, I'm assuming he'll be on the right and so running into the teeth of Long & Williams). So I'd use Sykes and Williams at WB again, and really try and dominate.
(and probably same again against Cambridge........but then a little more circumspect next week at Fratton Park)

So if everyone is good to go - same XI and same formation as Saturday, please.
We were so good that we should only be making changes if anyone has a knock, or is in need of a breather.

I noticed you were critical of some of Syke's defensive work at the weekend and while he does sometimes get beaten, he has worked incredibly hard defensively throughout the season. He does try to track back and has a great engine - I'd like to see some of his match data. There have been occasions where he has been the last man and managed to get a foot or head in.

When he have the likes of Holland and Whyte, who consider defensive work an optional extra, Sykes has done us proud and part of McNally's job is to work in conjunction and offer cover. Williams was also all over the place for the first 20 minutes, until he and Sam Long found their bearings.

I noticed you were critical of some of Syke's defensive work at the weekend and while he does sometimes get beaten, he has worked incredibly hard defensively throughout the season. He does try to track back and has a great engine - I'd like to see some of his match data. There have been occasions where he has been the last man and managed to get a foot or head in.

When he have the likes of Holland and Whyte, who consider defensive work an optional extra, Sykes has done us proud and part of McNally's job is to work in conjunction and offer cover. Williams was also all over the place for the first 20 minutes, until he and Sam Long found their bearings.

But it's not just about work rate - and yeah, I have absolutely no complaints about that from Sykes. He always seems the fittest, and works the hardest of just about anyone on the team (probably only Cam can rival him in today's squad).

But defending is a skill, and so is tackling. It's not just a willingness to track back - it's an understanding of what space to fill, where and when to move, who and when to track and when and how to go in for a challenge. Some of that can be taught, but some of it is natural instinct as well, just as much as attacking play.

I still think the only Oxford midfielder that has a real, deep understanding of the defensive side of the game is Gorrin. Cam is the next best, but his positioning is sometimes faulty as well. And Sykes is towards the bottom of my list in that regard - doesn't mean I don't think he's an excellent player; but I would not want to see him with too many defensive obligations against a genuinely good opposition attack.

But it's not just about work rate - and yeah, I have absolutely no complaints about that from Sykes. He always seems the fittest, and works the hardest of just about anyone on the team (probably only Cam can rival him in today's squad).

But defending is a skill, and so is tackling. It's not just a willingness to track back - it's an understanding of what space to fill, where and when to move, who and when to track and when and how to go in for a challenge. Some of that can be taught, but some of it is natural instinct as well, just as much as attacking play.

I still think the only Oxford midfielder that has a real, deep understanding of the defensive side of the game is Gorrin. Cam is the next best, but his positioning is sometimes faulty as well. And Sykes is towards the bottom of my list in that regard - doesn't mean I don't think he's an excellent player; but I would not want to see him with too many defensive obligations against a genuinely good opposition attack.
Sykes invariably is the defender on the halfway line, when our centre backs go 'up top' to attack a corner

And it's a skill he seems willing to work at and learn. Seems odd to focus on him in a team with many defensive deficiencies and frailties..

Henry scored on his return v qpr behind closed doors today.

Browne wasn’t involved.

Either injured or in the squad tonight 🤔
Thought KR said there would be another behind closed doors game this week for Marcus to have another go

Sykes invariably is the defender on the halfway line, when our centre backs go 'up top' to attack a corner
Probably more for his pace and the fact he could possibly build up the attacker whilst we regroup

Back
Top Bottom