World Cup 2030 World Cup

Two of the biggest countries in world football, England (1966) and Spain (1982), have hosted it only once. Surely one of them has to be in line to give it another go soon.

Well, yeah but Spain are going to get the biggest chunk of the matches in 2030. You look at the grounds that they're thinking of using and it's 13 in Spain, 6 in Morocco and 2 in Portugal. Wager that they'll get at least half the games, and the final.

So then it will just be England out in the cold.......

Also, if FIFA stick to their rules (no guarantees there), then for 2038, you would have to rule out every country in Asia, Europe, Africa and South America. And I believe Australia counts as Asia still. New Zealand doesn't have big enough stadia to do it.....nor does any nation in Central America or the Caribbean.
Would anyone be surprised if it was USA again in 2038? More sponsorship money here than anywhere else......

Last edited:
Well, yeah but Spain are going to get the biggest chunk of the matches in 2030. You look at the grounds that they're thinking of using and it's 13 in Spain, 6 in Morocco and 2 in Portugal. Wager that they're get at least half the games, and the final.
Of course, forgot they were doing most of the work in 2030.

If you take this down to country level, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see a World Cup in my own country. Looking at your list, it could be 2042 before England has another chance to host the tournament, that will be 76 years between the two if we get that. Mexico have hosted it 3 times since 1970. The United States twice since 1994. Germany twice since 1974.

Two of the biggest countries in world football, England (1966) and Spain (1982), have hosted it only once. Surely one of them has to be in line to give it another go soon.

England won't get it as we won't give money to the appropriate people and FIFA is all about the money. The only way I could see England getting some of it is if it is a joint bid with other European countries but I think that is a stretch.

England won't get it as we won't give money to the appropriate people and FIFA is all about the money. The only way I could see England getting some of it is if it is a joint bid with other European countries but I think that is a stretch.

We need to co host with a corrupt country willing to pay the bribes while we look the other way, England and Belarus 2042 bid coming shortly.

Get Sebastian Coe on board and presto! We'll be a corrupt country. I doubt Belarus is much wealthier than the UK, though.

And Morocco will probably get a dozen games or so.....they may throw a quarter-final their way.....and that's Africa supposed to be satisfied for a quarter century.

Not on you @tonyw but that line half-prodded me into considering what Africa is. The then multi-national company I worked for decided to formalise an 'Africa Region', liberating Africa from the more standard Middle East Africa Region.

Staff, many of whom lived tax-free in Dubai were strongly encouraged to move into the new region at one of the suddenly distrubuted head regional head offices: Rabat/Casablanca, Cairo, Lagos Nairobi and Johannesburg. The majority of the (native) French speakers wanted to go to Morocco, the majority of the native / european English speakers wanted to go to Joburg, Cairo was regarded as OK by some few arabic natives. It cost a lot to get people to go (and stay) in Nairobi and Lagos, few did.

You comment Morocco gets.... and that's Africa done reflects the view of the Moroccan and Joburg offices - if they had to go elsewhere on the continent it was referred to as 'going into Africa'.........

Back
Top Bottom