World Cup UK & ROI scrap 2030 WCF' bid ....

You would think we have been offered the Euro’s to pull out of the World Cup bid. It might be the sensible option but England/UK hasn’t hosted the World Cup since 66, this might seem arrogant but f**k it, we are due a go as the major European and footballing nation that hosted it the longest time ago.

Rumours that Spain are going for the WC in 2030, they last hosted it in 1982, so 16 years after we did.

I'll never see a home World Cup at this rate.

Whilst Blatter may have gone, have we seen anything to suggest that FIFA has cleaned up its act? It's still the same grubby, you scratch my back, I scratch yours organisation it always has been. Smaller nations who will never qualify nor host the tournament get hefty backhanders for siding with the right sorts. Bearing in mind the practices that landed us with Russia and Qatar getting to host the World Cup, I genuinely wouldn't bother. How the FA and co managed to spend over £2m working that out is anyone's guess ...

UEFA are hardly beacons of virtue but they're more malleable as they have fewer members to turn to to host a tournament. A UK/Ireland bid seems sensible in the circumstances.

Rumours that Spain are going for the WC in 2030, they last hosted it in 1982, so 16 years after we did.

I'll never see a home World Cup at this rate.

If Spain gets it in 2030 it won’t be back in Europe till 2038 at the earliest, perhaps later, that’s a long time away and it’s not even certain we would get it then. You are probably right, I doubt many of us will ever see a home one as we seem to be crap at paying the bribes.

I wouldn't underestimate the negative affect the scenes at the final last year had on a WC bid... Perhaps the powers at the FA(s) had gotten word we had no chance of WC30 after that and so moved attention to an "easier" target.

I wouldn't underestimate the negative affect the scenes at the final last year had on a WC bid... Perhaps the powers at the FA(s) had gotten word we had no chance of WC30 after that and so moved attention to an "easier" target.
But not the European Championship?

But not the European Championship?
It will absolutely have an affect on a Euros bid too, but as someone said above UEFA are a bit more malleable, and the competition to host isn't as tough too. Spain are focussed on the WC, and the other challengers don't have anywhere near the infrastructure the UK & Ireland have for hosting - especially after Italy (and Turkey) appear to have turned their bid towards 2032 instead. Our biggest challengers seem to be joint bids by Greece/Bulgaria/Romania/Serbia and Denmark/Finland/Sweden/Norway, and perhaps a late bid from Russia which would feel unlikely given recent hosing of WC and Olympics and the controversy around those.

The crucial thing is UEFA have made noises that they're in favour of the bid. FIFA I presume have not.

Those Joint bids are a shoeing i would think...was that not the original idea for the last World Cup that games would be played across a continent involving 3/4/5 countries?

Back
Top Bottom