Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to Buckingham’s pre Northampton match interview on ifollow I don’t think he is any hurry to find a replacement for Harris. He says he’s a very good no. 9 and very important in contributing to the way we play. He also has no doubts that he will score goals and says that when Harris gets one they will be ‘like buses’.

I’m not saying that I don’t think we will bring another striker in - it looks like we’ll have to replace Perkins - but Buckingham made a definite statement that Harris is his no. 9 and sees no problem with him and what he’s bringing to the team.
I’m not sure what else he can say. He has inherited a group of players and will have to work to get the most out of them. The imbalance in the squad has been raised/‘debated’ over the past few seasons, often about the left back position and latterly over the breathtaking decision to complement the squad around two teenagers one of whom is relentlessly slagged off by contributors to this forum. Buckingham out of nowhere brings in a left back and back we go to which Forward we will snap up in the transfer window. The balance in the squad, adequate cover for each position, is hopefully a priority for the recruitment guys. We can only hope.

Jake Young? Currently on loan at Swindon ,Anybody?
Do we really want to take a punt on a forward who's goal scoring stats up until this season have been poor and in the league below.
Anyway Graham Alexander is going to recall him at Bradford.
Contracted until 2025.

When you actually look at who is decent or who is available, there is a shortage of who we can get in January. I can see us getting a C/F in from the lower leagues abroad or the Irish leagues like the ones Nadi recommended.

Do we really want to take a punt on a forward who's goal scoring stats up until this season have been poor and in the league below.
Anyway Graham Alexander is going to recall him at Bradford.
Contracted until 2025.
Could just be recalled and sold, but I reckon that’s just some Swindon fans preparing for the worst instead of anything too serious

It’d be a good choice. At least he knows where the back of the net is. And with service from Cameron and Marcus would I am sure be great in L1.
Very sweet.

Hale and Wilson,this weekends nifl team of the week frontline.

Sure, Derby away. He was outstanding that day, scored two absolute belters and we thought we'd signed a superstar. All been a bit disappointing since then!

But more generally - I think Bodin on the wing is always a mistake. He doesn't have the pace and he doesn't carry the ball, and I think he slows our game down too much when he plays out on the left. He's a good League One #10 (who, unfortunately for him, is now stuck behind our best attacking player) and a reasonable emergency front man. With Des looking like he wants to emphasize wing play, I think (once we have a striker) he will prefer Harris out wide to Bodin every time.

Unless and until Browne and Edwards can get fit and stay fit, once we sign a striker it'll be Mills, Murphy, Goodrham and Harris for two spots out wide and I bet they all get a reasonable amount of game time.

If we sign another winger in January, that equation changes of course.

Bodin is a bit like peak James Henry for us. It’s not always obvious what he’s contributing but we often look better and more threatening with him in the team. When you have a team who’s strikers, quite literally, don't score then you almost cannot leave out the likes of Bodin, Rodriguez and Brannagan on the basis they are probably the most likely three in the entire squad to score goals.

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the view of putting Harris on the wing either, we look to have better wingers, especially when Browne and Edwards return. i think Harris should bide his time on the bench and earn the right to get his place back. You’d be bloody unlucky as an Oxford winger to lose your place to a striker who can’t score down the middle.

Ali Al-Hamadi from the wombles anyone?
Interesting to see who the previous guy will be looking at, he’s in the same boat.
And fishing in the same pond.
Hopefully Nahki Wells being back will curb him on numbers.

Next level for him ,but they need to slash the cash just to compete.We just need 2 strikers ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom