Second leg -

Friday, 21st May 2021

Sky Bet League One Play-Off Semi-Finals Second Leg

Blackpool v Oxford United (19:45)
KEITH STROUD
Sam Lewis and Andrew Fox
Fourth Official : David Webb
Reserve AR: Jonathan Hunt
Wasn't Bobby Madley the Premiership ref who quit over a video he made mocking a disabled person and then disappeared to Norway? Reinstated to the League One & Two list last year - generally a good ref from what I remember.

Wasn't Bobby Madley the Premiership ref who quit over a video he made mocking a disabled person and then disappeared to Norway? Reinstated to the League One & Two list last year - generally a good ref from what I remember.
Yep, he already reffed us once this season at home against Ipswich as well. He did so well/was so anonymous that we didn't even have a ref watch thread started. He was fine though, certainly a step up from Kettle and co.

I’ve seen a lot of confidence from their end!

Some quotes:

“...when we bossed them at their place a couple of months ago ! They didn’t have many chances then and against our defence I’d like to hope they won’t get many this time either.”

“The way they play will suit us. Just like we beat them a few weeks ago. Nothing to fear at all”

“We've just had four straight wins without conceding a single goal... we have no reason to not be confident.”

“They’re gonna need to pull off another 6-0 win after we destroy them on their campus”

“This league is very poor. Oxford just scraped in. Don’t worry.”

“This is not arrogance. This is not tangerine specs bravado. We have no one to fear in these playoffs.”

“If the away game at their place was anything to go off we should see them off.”

“Don’t worry we will beat them.”

A lot of confidence at this end too if you look at the poll results: 76% predicting an Oxford win in the first leg.

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Henry Brannagan Sykes
Lee Taylor Barker
Nailed on, unless Barker isn't fully fit and Shodipo starts instead, I'll be shocked if it's any other lineup.

Haven’t got a clue how we approach the game. Got a few injuries. Virtue and Hamilton out for the season. Ward doubtful. Kaikai might be back. Assuming all of those are out it’ll be one of 3 formations:

3-5-2:

Maxwell - Ballard, Thorniley, Husband - Gabriel, Stewart, Keshi, Dougall, Garbutt - Simms, Yates

4-2-3-1:

Maxwell - Turton, Ballard, Thorniley, Garbutt - Stewart, Dougall - Gabriel, Keshi, Mitchell - Yates

4-4-2:

Maxwell - Turton, Ballard, Thorniley, Garbutt - Gabriel, Dougall, Embleton, Mitchell - Simms, Yates

Pretty deep squad with players like Gabriel, Mitchell, Embleton unlucky not to start every game. Ekpiteta at centre back and Madine up top just returned from injury so they’ll also be in the mix. You lads any injuries you’re sweating on?

Thank god Trevor Kettle and Mr Deadman and Huxtable are no where to be seen.
Saving the three wise men for the final would definitely sum up the EFL couldn’t see huxtable or kettle running the lines tho

Nailed on, unless Barker isn't fully fit and Shodipo starts instead, I'll be shocked if it's any other lineup.
I'd personally go with Shodipo to start, even if Barker is fit - not just because he got a goal on Sunday but because of the part of his game that vastly improved since his arrival, his tracking back and defensive work. That was almost non-existent early in the season. Barker a great replacement option and for the 2nd leg.

Haven’t got a clue how we approach the game. Got a few injuries. Virtue and Hamilton out for the season. Ward doubtful. Kaikai might be back. Assuming all of those are out it’ll be one of 3 formations:

3-5-2:

Maxwell - Ballard, Thorniley, Husband - Gabriel, Stewart, Keshi, Dougall, Garbutt - Simms, Yates

4-2-3-1:

Maxwell - Turton, Ballard, Thorniley, Garbutt - Stewart, Dougall - Gabriel, Keshi, Mitchell - Yates

4-4-2:

Maxwell - Turton, Ballard, Thorniley, Garbutt - Gabriel, Dougall, Embleton, Mitchell - Simms, Yates

Pretty deep squad with players like Gabriel, Mitchell, Embleton unlucky not to start every game. Ekpiteta at centre back and Madine up top just returned from injury so they’ll also be in the mix. You lads any injuries you’re sweating on?

Garbutt for us was pretty poor at LB but much more effective further forward, and I think the majority of us would have been happy to see him sign permanently in that position. Have you guys found similar or has he sharpened up defensively?

I'd personally go with Shodipo to start, even if Barker is fit - not just because he got a goal on Sunday but because of the part of his game that vastly improved since his arrival, his tracking back and defensive work. That was almost non-existent early in the season. Barker a great replacement option and for the 2nd leg.

Yep, I’d agree. And imagine being a defender and seeing a fresh Barker running at you for the last twenty minutes of the first leg...

Garbutt for us was pretty poor at LB but much more effective further forward, and I think the majority of us would have been happy to see him sign permanently in that position. Have you guys found similar or has he sharpened up defensively?
Since we switched to 3-5-2 he’s been outstanding as wing back, even chipping in with a few goals

I like the way Shodipo has been a lot more positive and direct too. Seems much more confident in getting at his marker rather than turning back.

Blackpool will be confident as they did boss us at the ka**am. But looking back we were without Long, Henry and Lee for that game. We're going to be without Long again for this game but an inform James Henry and Elliot Lee will hopefully improve us.

We are underdogs for sure but all we can do is play to our best and see what happens.

Yep, he already reffed us once this season at home against Ipswich as well. He did so well/was so anonymous that we didn't even have a ref watch thread started. He was fine though, certainly a step up from Kettle and co.
A step up from Trevor Kettle, I would hope so. Kettle who loves football, but can't quite understand the rules. The guy who thinks he should be seen and heard all the time. Who trots around aimlessly and is unable to make decisions, and whenever he does, they’re always wrong. A one legged, asthmatic, blind octogenarian would be a step up from Kettle.

Last edited:
Who were the underdogs last season, when the playoffs started. That team ended up being promoted.

It’s all about which of the four teams want it the most, and sometimes a little luck is needed.

Nothing to be afraid of here, although I do think an Oxford v Blackpool final would of been better. Just because I think both sides play the better football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom