Away Match Day Thread 16/11/2021 FA Cup 1st R. Replay: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

A quick search of the best streamers gives a message that there is no stream available. 8 different strean sites inspected.

And iFollow have got the Bristol commentary on both home and away buttons. What a crap service!
I've always found that particular accent tricky to follow, camp pirates.

How anyone can ever comment about other club forums is beyond me! The fallout on here time and again is embarrassing.

I love cup games and hate losing. But it happened and we move on to 30 league games that are far more important.
We’ve seen over the last few seasons that we actually do better in the league when we have good cup runs e.g. creates a buzz around the club and fans alike, so let’s just see what impact it now has on our league results.

KR cost us that game with delusional tactics. No excuse now not to get top 6. January is huge. Bin off players like Agyei, Winnall & Hanson… and bring it 3/4 quality players.

I think that saying we lost that tactically excuses those of the players who simply stopped doing their jobs.

How anyone can ever comment about other club forums is beyond me! The fallout on here time and again is embarrassing.

I love cup games and hate losing. But it happened and we move on to 30 league games that are far more important.
Have you seen Twitter and the OUFC Facebook story about the game? It's not just here.

Totally agree with what Robinson had to say after the game.
That same arrogance cost us at Wembley and cold against Blackpool.
Hope he and the team have now learnt the lesson,

Which tactics were they? The ones that had us 3-1 up with 10 minutes to go?
Exactly.... We all was happy with how things were going when we took 3:1 lead... KR had got it right.... Now with hind sight, all these wise ones come to the fore on how he got it wrong, why wasn't anyone saying theses thing when we were 3:1 up?

I was at the game Jerome, and felt really disappointed when we let the 4th in (Eastwood so hesitant!)

I have mixed feelings after reading this thread - letting in 3 late goals hurts, but the league Is and always was the priority. We need to make sure this defeat doesn’t affect us too much. Robinson and Mousinho didn’t seem that bothered in their interviews.

As others have said, Robinson can’t be blamed to the capitulation at the end, but perhaps his squad depth / balance (or lack of) can. Look at this quote from Chris Williams’s match report to get a feel for his opinion on the decisions made…

Attachments

• C540F284-7B32-4D2E-B234-B5A92A5AF966.jpeg
    C540F284-7B32-4D2E-B234-B5A92A5AF966.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 57
On a positive note, the last real meltdown on this board after such a late defeat, iirc, was Swindon.

The league run following that wake up call was awesome, so I am now looking forward to another great run of league games, starting with a win at Wigan 🙂🙂

Got a mate who is a Bristol Rovers fan, so today is going to be fun. Think I’ll turn my phone off for a few hours 🤣

Absolutely no protection of the defence from midfield in the last 10 of ET is (I think) quite a bit to do with how it finished. It really needed a Kane or Gorrin to steady the ship in front of the defence....so I sincerely hope this is not the shape of things to come when we're trying to defend a lead and Kane has been subbed already[emoji51]

Fair points - and Whyte was one I debated whether to say he's a success or not. The difference is we know what Whyte is capable of so I have higher hopes of him making a bigger impact as the season goes on. So far I have been disappointed but still think he's offered marginally more than Williams and Bodin (from a lot more minutes admittedly).

McGuane I feel was signed for the long term rather than instant impact and what he's shown since coming back from injury, today aside possibly, has been a good sign for the future.

To clarify the 15 good players - I'm saying they're good enough to challenge for autos. The others for the most part aren't inherently bad players, just more mid table L1 players. 100% agree we thrive on consistency, which has its benefits and detriments.

Sometimes things just happen in football that suck for everyone. For us it was signing Winnall. A player who in the past was a monster at this level, and with a bit of luck would've transformed us into a force. Instead, he's spent more time in the treatment room than the training pitch, the pressure on Agyei has been immense as the sole backup for Taylor, and then he misses out on a loan(?) that could be the turning point in his career because of it. Everyone loses. Us because we have two poor backups in strike, Winnall because he'll probably struggle to find a team willing to take him end of the season, Taylor because he's being run to death, and the biggest loser is Agyei who must be wondering where on earth he goes next.

Probably best for everyone at this point to say thanks for the memories and move on, that way Agyei may still make a career for himself, because the attributes are there.
There are no memories with Agyei.

Absolutely no protection of the defence from midfield in the last 10 of ET is (I think) quite a bit to do with how it finished. It really needed a Kane or Gorrin to steady the ship in front of the defence....so I sincerely hope this is not the shape of things to come when we're trying to defend a lead and Kane has been subbed already[emoji51]
It was crying out for Hanson to come on!!!

There are no memories with Agyei.

Winner at the County Ground? The second against Shrewsbury in that comeback away from home? The howitzer at home to Northampton?

My opinion has been made up on him - he’s a player who is no better now than when we signed him and he has a complete mental block on applying the talents he’s been gifted with - but let’s not revise history.

Fans like to paint players as simply ‘good’ or ‘rubbish’ when there are many shades of grey in between. Agyei is one of the many who will go into that grey area. Good with an if and bad with a but.

KR cost us that game with delusional tactics. No excuse now not to get top 6. January is huge. Bin off players like Agyei, Winnall & Hanson… and bring it 3/4 quality players.
What makes you think there will be shedloads of quality players available in January? I am not so sure.

What makes you think there will be shedloads of quality players available in January? I am not so sure.

....and, as importantly, what makes anyone think that the money men will be willing to pay up contracts and bring new in?

'Sustainable' is a word that gets mentioned a lot.

I'm certain they'll increase the budget, I'm much less certain that they'll fling money at promotion at any cost. Particularly when the stated aim is promotion this season or next.

Back
Top Bottom