Away Match Day Thread 11/12/2021 L1: MK Dons v OUFC

This was the first away game I've been to in absolutely ages.

First forty-five made me wonder why on earth I bothered. Second half made me realise that I'm a catastrophic berk for ever questioning myself.

I went with my dad and he was laughing at us in the first half we were so bad, but I promised him we'd come out of the traps blazing after half time and thank God we did. I really think that when we're on our game we're easy automatic contenders, and this squad seems to be the one to take us up. If we can beat Wigan then the dream is 100% on!

PS. Much respect to the guy who yelled YELLOWS out of his car window louder than anything I've ever heard in the car park. Must have scared all of MK's 3 fans out of their wits.

Agreed.
His first two and a half years here, he usually looked like a talented player but there was no end product.

Well he's worked hard and improved and there certainly is now! Twice as many goals in the first half of this season as those two and a half years combined!
Was always there just needed a bit of faith and coaxing out.

This was the first away game I've been to in absolutely ages.

First forty-five made me wonder why on earth I bothered. Second half made me realise that I'm a catastrophic berk for ever questioning myself.

I went with my dad and he was laughing at us in the first half we were so bad, but I promised him we'd come out of the traps blazing after half time and thank God we did. I really think that when we're on our game we're easy automatic contenders, and this squad seems to be the one to take us up. If we can beat Wigan then the dream is 100% on!

PS. Much respect to the guy who yelled YELLOWS out of his car window louder than anything I've ever heard in the car park. Must have scared all of MK's 3 fans out of their wits.
This sums up the away day experience so perfectly I love it. Usually over the course of a few games though, not one match!

Still buzzing. Only the third match we've been able to make this season and what a match. MK's antics, and the ref, really started to wind me up in the second half so sticking it to them made it so much sweeter.

Just wanted to say that a couple of MK fans walked past us saying "just one mistake let us down".

What?! They gifted us the ball in front of goal at least three times in the first twenty minutes but we weren't able to punish them. Would have been a very different game.

Really starting to believe this could be our season.

COYY!

Only one league defeat since the Cheltenham game. 13 games, 8 wins, 4 draws and just the loss to Plymouth. Considering the covid situation, the loss of Jack Stevens and Gorrin, and what could have been a huge distraction with the cup defeat to Bristol Rovers, that's some return.

As with previous seasons it seems to take a while to get an established starting 11. But we have now the core team of;

Eastwood
Long Moore Thorniley (McNally) Seddon
Kane Brannagan Henry (McGuane)
Sykes Taylor Holland (Whyte)

Collectively we have real flair as well as players who are able to battle for everything. Sam Long is yet to reach the incredible standards of last season, but he puts everything on the line every game and you'd want him on your side in a fight. Likewise, Matty Taylor is not only back in the goals but he is also a player that gets under the skin of the opposition and never gives up. We knew the character of Cam, but he plays with controlled aggression now and has raised his all round game. Alongside Herbie Kane we have players of a PL upbringing but with league 1 strength and commitment.

This is the team Robinson has been working towards and you may not be surprised to know that I think he has been good to his word. At the end of last season he spoke about having the strength of teams like Blackpool. We have done that without compromising on our style of play.

There's still a long way to go, and we need others to come in and add to the 14 or so that make up the core of this team. Another striker, someone to cover left back, a step up on Bodin, Cooper and Williams as back up wingers, and a replacement for Gorrin. Get that right and we'll hopefully have many more days like today.

Did Sykes get booked for taking his shirt off? Hiw many bookings is he on? Wonder if he's going fir Xmas off?!

He got booked according to Sykes himself and he said it was his first caution of the season which is correct for the Lg.

Edit; Just checked Transfermarkt and he has 1 caution in L1 and 1 caution in the FL Cup. Don't know if the FL Cup counts in totting up for the Lg but suspect it does even though he is still fine.

Last edited:
Highlights just been posted...

goat.gif
Brilliant 🤣🤣

Absolutely delighted with that! It was a bit disrespectful for Sykes to take off his shirt when he scored, considering Robinson managed them for six years, but I understand his emotions got the better of him.
Agreed.

Also disappointed with Eastwood making those saves given he’s driven through Milton Keynes before.

What an afternoon, and what a second half turn around. That was a gritty win - the lads should be so proud of themselves.

Brannagan and Kane were immense in the second half (after poor first halves by their high standards). Sam Long and Matty Taylor wore their hearts on their sleeves…and that Easty save at the end was phenomenal.

Also, by looking at the highlights - if Matty’s second disallowed goal was genuinely offside then it was VERY marginal based on this screengrab5AD85368-9DCB-45CD-975A-628B6D56EDA2.jpeg

What an afternoon, and what a second half turn around. That was a gritty win - the lads should be so proud of themselves.

Brannagan and Kane were immense in the second half (after poor first halves by their high standards). Sam Long and Matty Taylor wore their hearts on their sleeves…and that Easty save at the end was phenomenal.

Also, by looking at the highlights - if Matty’s second disallowed goal was genuinely offside then it was VERY marginal based on this screengrabView attachment 7634

As I thought at the time, what with 'level' being onside, that unfortunately is a poor call. Any doubt at all....lino has to go with the attacker (although invariably they do not).

Also, by looking at the highlights - if Matty’s second disallowed goal was genuinely offside then it was VERY marginal based on this screengrabView attachment 7634
If you look carefully enough, you'll see that MT's middle fingernail is just beyond the MK player.

That's apparently what it takes in the PL to chalk off a perfectly good goal, and as we're aspiring to
get to the premier league we should just accept it as perfectly just.

Back
Top Bottom