Away Match Day Thread 10/10/2020 L1 Gillingham v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gorrin and Atkinson are fit for Tuesday we will be much tighter at the back. We would have won today if they'd played, with Sam Long at RB.
Maybe ...but theres fit and matchfit that have a bit of a gap between them ?

Clare was signed as a right back, I very much doubt we’ll see him moved forwards.
He was, but it has (at least to me) seemed quite obvious that if he is going to be turned into a right back, he needs an awful lot of coaching. At the moment he looks like a right sided midfielder playing in a position he doesn't really feel comfortable in and (to be brutal) isn't very good at. He does however look excellent going forward.
I think sometimes the reality of a situation has to be taken into account, no matter how much the manager wants him to play at the back, and we have to make the best of the assets we have rather than hoping things will come good.

Very disappointing today. Robinson can sugar coat it all he wants to the press, but defensively we were poor.

Clare was sold by Graham for the first goal and Eastwood got done at his near post. After that, Clare got done repeatedly down our right side.

Right now, a centre half HAS to be the priority as Moore doesn’t look the same player without Dickie - he needs a commanding presence alongside him.

Apparently, the LW is the main target and KR isn't that bothered about strengthening the defence unless it's a youngster.

Heaven help us.
Yes he said the defenders, if we get ANY would have to come in under the wage cap agewise. All the spare money would be spent on a left winger!! He seems obsessed with it. For me the defending this season has been a shambles. 8 goals in 4 games conceded. If that carries on we'll lose more than we win. I would like an experienced CB as Atkinson and Moore look raw to me although they have plenty of potential. If Mous is not going to play much can he come off the playing budget? Going forward we look ok and on another day 2 or 3 of those missed chances go in. And give up playing Clare as a right back. He is not one simple as that. I don't care how much KR knows about the game he has got that one wrong.
Also agree with you ZTH about stats. They are in the main meaningless especially possession. There are just too many variables for them to be taken as a true reflection of the game.

Maybe ...but theres fit and matchfit that have a bit of a gap between them ?

Good point, that’s why it would have been better if they’d kept the 5 subs rule for this season as well, it would make it much easier to start players coming back from injury like Gorrin and Atkinson and just give them a half or something

Granted its never great when the Us lose....tighten up the defence a bit and we'll do ok....26 chances with a return of 1 goal to show aint going to happen every week is it?

Typical KR early season side, taking a few matches to get going.

I do fancy a proper battering of crewe on tues eve

I took Robinson’s comments after the game to be that he’d like a young permanent signing at CB as he mentioned developing someone for when the next CB is sold on.
Moore and Atkinson have got about 30 L1 matches between them and are 23 and 22 respectively. We don’t need another young centre back to develop - we’ve got two on the go with them as it is. We need some squad balance and some experience to help them learn, and to be able to help shore things up in the short term. Surely considering we have players such as Taylor, Winnall, Henry and the like in the forward areas, and Brannagan, Forde, Gorrin etc in the midfield, we should be looking for a bit of experience at the back and it’s the left wing position where the young loanee should come in? Not the other way around?

I’m sure it’ll be fine and as usual we will slowly pick up results and improve over time, but I still think we make it unnecessarily difficult for ourselves with slow starts and a squad that is too unbalanced.

Think we will win on Tuesday and play well.

He was, but it has (at least to me) seemed quite obvious that if he is going to be turned into a right back, he needs an awful lot of coaching. At the moment he looks like a right sided midfielder playing in a position he doesn't really feel comfortable in and (to be brutal) isn't very good at. He does however look excellent going forward.
I think sometimes the reality of a situation has to be taken into account, no matter how much the manager wants him to play at the back, and we have to make the best of the assets we have rather than hoping things will come good.
Clare was signed as a right back, I very much doubt we’ll see him moved forwards.

I took Robinson’s comments after the game to be that he’d like a young permanent signing at CB as he mentioned developing someone for when the next CB is sold on.

To be fair, if Dickie and Mousinho had been injured last season we would have looked bare too. Any club which has a squad cap of 22 will look bare with two centre backs injured.
Garbutt was signed as a left back and was awful until KR moved him further forward

• React
Reactions: ljs
That it was the highest xG in our favour since he’s been at the club, and that he would rather spend money on a winger and use a U21 loan signing if there’s another body needed defensively.

Lol.... “if” I think it’s fairly f*****g obvious Karl we need another body defensively. We lost our centre half captain and have replaced with an unproven youngster. Our defensive frailties are pretty apparent.

If we end up with a winger and a U21 defender I’ll honestly question if he’s lost it. He should be opting for experience at the back and an U21 winger.

Clare was sold by Graham for the first goal and Eastwood got done at his near post. After that, Clare got done repeatedly down our right side.
In the post match interview, Henry said the first goal was his fault.....

Lol.... “if” I think it’s fairly f*****g obvious Karl we need another body defensively. We lost our centre half captain and have replaced with an unproven youngster. Our defensive frailties are pretty apparent.

If we end up with a winger and a U21 defender I’ll honestly question if he’s lost it. He should be opting for experience at the back and an U21 winger.
We have an U21 cb who needs devloping already ...Nico Jones....and, if he develops another asset to sell (and leave us in this same position, yet again , in a season or two)

In the post match interview, Henry said the first goal was his fault.....
He didn't cover himself in glory once the cross had come in, true. But the cross came in far too easily and it should probably have been saved. Big of him to take responsibility, but there were three of them with a debit in their columns after that one.

What a frustrating game, we were by far the better side, but somehow came away with nothing!!

Eastwood- Didn't do much wrong really, and made two absolute worldie saves, but can't really help it if his defence continually lets him down and leaves him exposed. 7

Clare- Very poor defensively, but does look like he could be useful further forward. He wasn't tested defensively against Accy, and just like in the first two games, he has shown he has no hope as a RB, and unless he's gonna be used further forward, he has no real place in the squad. 4.5

Moore- Frustrated with a lot of long ball out of defence, and saved by Eastwood's heroics, after completely missing a header, not his best game. 5

Long- Clearly not a CB. Started well, won a lot of headers, and looked pretty comfortable, but looked more vulnerable as the game went on. Must be our RB from now on. 5.5

Ruffels- Got forward well, but very poor defending to be skinned so easily, and not stopping the cross for their 3rd goal, but was always gonna be a bit rusty, but with such a patched up defence, and no other options, he had to play. 5

Kelly- No real presence, and too small for the midfield anchor role, and way too many short, sideways and backwards passes. Clearly an intelligent passer when he wants to be, but does not do it enough, and offers no bite or ability to do the dirty work in the middle. Gorrin needs to replace him. 5

Forde- MOTM. He really is a very good player, closes down well, and looks so assured on the ball, creating time for himself, so he can play the right pass, and gets forward well. First name on the team sheet at the moment. 7.5

Brannagan- Missed an absolute sitter, but kept looking to get forward and make things happen, and looked a bit more like his usual self. 6.5

Henry- Had a good game, looks a lot more like his usual self now, passed the ball very well, and put some good balls into the box, and was at the heart of the good play going forwards. 7

Taylor- Put in a good shift, and did some good things in the final third, but another who missed a sitter, which as our main goal threat and poacher, cost us dearly. 6

Agyei- Still looks very raw, but did some really good stuff in the first half, causing problems with some good runs and looked a real threat. Missed his goal due to ifollow being shite, but faded before being replaced. Glad to see him getting game time though, and he's improving with each game. 6.5

SUBS:
Hall- Looking more and more like his old self, fitter and stronger, and clearly still has the skill and talent to cause defences problems. Should've been put on sooner. 7

Winnall- No real impact, but got some important minutes under his belt.

Defending aside, we actually played well.
When going forward, we passed it well, and created a lot of chances, and on another day, could've scored a hatful.
We really need defensive reinforcements. Clare is NOT a RB, and we don't have any real cover for ANY of the defensive positions, which is shocking.

It's encouraging to see us playing so well again going forwards, but we need to put the chances away that we create, and we need to sort our defence out, otherwise, it won't matter how many goals we score this season, if we're leaking goals left, right and centre, we're gonna struggle.

Next week's business really will make or break our season, so get it right Robbo!

Apparently, the LW is the main target and KR isn't that bothered about strengthening the defence unless it's a youngster.

Heaven help us.
What a truly ridiculous thing for him to say. Sometimes it does feel as though the entire fanbase is seeing things that he doesn't.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong here or if he's playing smoke and mirrors for an upcoming transfer but if he genuinely believes our defence doesn't need to be strengthened then he's not doing his job properly.

Think Clare could be useful further forward, he is the quickest player we’ve got. We lack pace! He’ll never be an orthodox right back, he’s not
defensively disciplined enough

Afraid Sam Long isn’t up to it, wherever he plays.

As for right back, the best fit at the moment is ... Forde. But he can’t play in 2 positions at once.

Key player for me is Gorrin, very sorely missed as the defensive midfield hatchet man.

Kelly has had enough chances, looks like he’s not up to it physically.

A very frustrating afternoon, this is a talented group of lads though and there’s enough quality in the squad for us still to have a decent season.

What a truly ridiculous thing for him to say. Sometimes it does feel as though the entire fanbase is seeing things that he doesn't.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong here or if he's playing smoke and mirrors for an upcoming transfer but if he genuinely believes our defence doesn't need to be strengthened then he's not doing his job properly.
It is quite likely he’s bullshitting to avoid broadcasting that he’s desperate to sign a defender

What a frustrating game, we were by far the better side, but somehow came away with nothing!!

Eastwood- Didn't do much wrong really, and made two absolute worldie saves, but can't really help it if his defence continually lets him down and leaves him exposed. 7

Clare- Very poor defensively, but does look like he could be useful further forward. He wasn't tested defensively against Accy, and just like in the first two games, he has shown he has no hope as a RB, and unless he's gonna be used further forward, he has no real place in the squad. 4.5

Moore- Frustrated with a lot of long ball out of defence, and saved by Eastwood's heroics, after completely missing a header, not his best game. 5

Long- Clearly not a CB. Started well, won a lot of headers, and looked pretty comfortable, but looked more vulnerable as the game went on. Must be our RB from now on. 5.5

Ruffels- Got forward well, but very poor defending to be skinned so easily, and not stopping the cross for their 3rd goal, but was always gonna be a bit rusty, but with such a patched up defence, and no other options, he had to play. 5

Kelly- No real presence, and too small for the midfield anchor role, and way too many short, sideways and backwards passes. Clearly an intelligent passer when he wants to be, but does not do it enough, and offers no bite or ability to do the dirty work in the middle. Gorrin needs to replace him. 5

Forde- MOTM. He really is a very good player, closes down well, and looks so assured on the ball, creating time for himself, so he can play the right pass, and gets forward well. First name on the team sheet at the moment. 7.5

Brannagan- Missed an absolute sitter, but kept looking to get forward and make things happen, and looked a bit more like his usual self. 6.5

Henry- Had a good game, looks a lot more like his usual self now, passed the ball very well, and put some good balls into the box, and was at the heart of the good play going forwards. 7

Taylor- Put in a good shift, and did some good things in the final third, but another who missed a sitter, which as our main goal threat and poacher, cost us dearly. 6

Agyei- Still looks very raw, but did some really good stuff in the first half, causing problems with some good runs and looked a real threat. Missed his goal due to ifollow being shite, but faded before being replaced. Glad to see him getting game time though, and he's improving with each game. 6.5

SUBS:
Hall- Looking more and more like his old self, fitter and stronger, and clearly still has the skill and talent to cause defences problems. Should've been put on sooner. 7

Winnall- No real impact, but got some important minutes under his belt.

Defending aside, we actually played well.
When going forward, we passed it well, and created a lot of chances, and on another day, could've scored a hatful.
We really need defensive reinforcements. Clare is NOT a RB, and we don't have any real cover for ANY of the defensive positions, which is shocking.

It's encouraging to see us playing so well again going forwards, but we need to put the chances away that we create, and we need to sort our defence out, otherwise, it won't matter how many goals we score this season, if we're leaking goals left, right and centre, we're gonna struggle.

Next week's business really will make or break our season, so get it right Robbo!

You obviously didn’t watch the game or you’ve never played football if you think ‘Eastwood didn’t do much wrong’

He made an absolute hash of Gillingham’s first goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom