Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: GOD

• SUB: Smyth

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • SUB: Mills

• Total voters
They were in the lead against the run of play in their own stadium, where we’re told they’ve got their tail up, but I think we showed who strongest group is.

“Oxford are a good side on a good run, but they’re no way near as good as us.”

The Scouse thug is deluded yes his team played well yes maybe the deserved a point but reality is we got all 3 we are one point of the top of the league
There’s our team talk for the return game, right there;
‘They’re no way near as good as us’….
What a tool.

I think debating whether or not Mills's sending off was harsh is a bit of red herring (if you'll pardon the pun). Mills has already seen two players being sent off for relatively little, so alarm bells should be ringing that you shouldn't be letting the card-happy ref make a decision. At this level there's nothing you can do about s**t refs, other than mitigating risks through your own actions.

Only minutes earlier Smyth got sent off and we conceded to let Rovers back in; at no point should he be jumping in the way he did with that kind of action, whether or not he gets the ball first and where he contacts the player. He's not making a last-ditch tackle and doesn't need to go to ground, the ball isn't even in the Oxford half.

I rate Mills and think he'll come back stronger for this, but next time I reckon he might think about staying on his feet.

Wasn’t at the game today, and having seen the highlights the second yellow is obviously stupid, but from the outside and reading comments on here and elsewhere, doesn’t seem like it was the kind of game to bring on a young and inexperienced player like Smyth for his first league appearance of the season? Was it an enforced change? Seems like a slight misstep from Manning.

The injury/suspension list is also starting to add up. The Reading delay, as annoying as it is, does seem to have come at a good time for us.

Great result though. Five point gap to the playoffs with a game in hand is massive. When the fixture list came out we identified this run of games as a good chance to put some points on the board, so it’s extremely encouraging that the team are getting those points in the bank. Next handful of games look tricky on paper.

Wasn’t at the game today, and having seen the highlights the second yellow is obviously stupid, but from the outside and reading comments on here and elsewhere, doesn’t seem like it was the kind of game to bring on a young and inexperienced player like Smyth for his first league appearance of the season? Was it an enforced change? Seems like a slight misstep from Manning.

The injury/suspension list is also starting to add up. The Reading delay, as annoying as it is, does seem to have come at a good time for us.

Great result though. Five point gap to the playoffs with a game in hand is massive. When the fixture list came out we identified this run of games as a good chance to put some points on the board, so it’s extremely encouraging that the team are getting those points in the bank. Next handful of games look tricky on paper.
I was little surprised that Smyth came on ahead of McEachran.

Manning talks about discipline, but 4 sending offs in 6 home games is not good.
Somebody texted to me that the game management of some of the younger players today was very poor.

Have said that, Mannings decision to move to 4 at the back and to bring on Mills changed the game in the second half. It was a teriffic 3 points against a very good team ( the best I have seen against us this season) and 27 points in 11 games is a great start

For a club that is so well prepared and disciplined from top to bottom, 4 red cards, all of which are entirely avoidable, is a bit of a worry - especially as three of the four came during injury time.

And it's completely at odds with what has generally been excellent game management. Look back to Carlisle and we didn't give them a kick for the 8 minutes of injury time and almost scored through Mills. Derby was a little panicky when we conceded but gathered ourselves to see the game out, but everything else has been relatively easy and didn't give Shrewsbury a touch for the last 20+ minutes only a few days ago.

A 2 week gap has come at a good time to give everyone a bit of a break and be back ready for some big games at the end of the month.

Tell you what, you fall asleep with it in your hand and let me know how chuffed you are in the morning, when it’s all sticky and there’s white goo stuck to your palm, not to mention in between your fingers.

I don’t think that’s funny.

You are Crispin Salty and I claim my 5 pounds.

I did like the way Moore ushered their man to the header for their offside goal. Still, he's tall and when it's kicked directly at him he usually gets in the way of it. Brown & Long must be knackered covering for him

Bit fortunate to get a win, but they all count.

Thought the Mills red was harsh. He won the ball initially and then caught the player with the scissor. But it was clumsy rather than malicious or dangerous. Typical wingers challenge. It won't be overturned though as he did jump in and catch the man so wil be deemed as out of control and endangering an opponent.

I would like to see us go all out for a top quality striker in January. I wouldn't want to rely on Harris and O'Donker all season. Harris hasn't totally convinced me yet and GOD never looks like scoring. Although his work rate and efforts in running down the clock are top notch.

Definitely rode our luck today but promotion winning sides have to win ugly from time to time.
Totally agree need a proper out and out striker then loan GOD out for the rest of the season

I was little surprised that Smyth came on ahead of McEachran.

I suspect because Smyth could play a more advanced position as he was replacing the tired Ruben which I don't think McEachran plays. In theory that left Cam Bran and McGuane playing the same roles as before unlike if McEachran had come on.

What was their keeper whinging about after our 2nd goal? Can't have been for offside as one defender was behind him and one alongside.

Also, loving the Rovers defender appealing for offside on our 1st goal when 3 defenders are behind him.

What was their keeper whinging about after our 2nd goal? Can't have been for offside as one defender was behind him and one alongside.

Also, loving the Rovers defender appealing for offside on our 1st goal when 3 defenders are behind him.

I suspect it indicates that one of the things that Barton drills into Rovers as a team is pressure the officials on every decision. Doesn’t matter whether you’re right or wrong - just pressure the ref/Lino on everything.

You can debate the morality around it. But to an extent it has worked today. The ref was desperate to even it up after sending Brown off (with their players swarming him on EVERYTHING - particularly any time Moore or Brannagan, the two we had on yellows - were involved) and Smyth gave him the chance to do so. Same again with the Mills card. Their #6 didn’t think it was a red. He thought he was in trouble for his reaction and wanted to restart the game. But after Rovers had spent the game hounding the (very poor) officials, on an incident right in front of the dugouts clearly the ref felt he had a decision to make.

The game changed at half time when we brought Mills on and went 3 up top.

Slightly concerning how many players we now have out at the top end of the pitch. Guessing we now wont have Edwards, Browne or Mills for the next 3.

I thought Murphy looked sharp again when he came on - just lacking confidence and an end product.

For me we need someone who can beat a man if we're going to play that formation with a front 3 so this could now be Murphys chance to have a run of games and cement his place in the side. He's being paid enough so really needs to step up.

I was impressed by Rovers first half but our shape just wasn't working so fair play to Manning for changing it at half time. Second half we looked much sharper and really should have scored one or two more to make the game more comfortable.

Harris also got bullied by their big centre half who i was impressed with. hopefully he was just lacking abit of sharpness after some time out the side.

The red for Mills was ridiculously harsh. Watched it back a few times and I don’t think that’s a red. It might look a bit clumsy but he’s not out of control and clearly wins the ball. If there are grounds for appealing I think that will be overturned.

Weird to think we've had two sent off twice already this season. I can't actually recall the previous time we were down to nine players in a match - can anyone enlighten me?

Swindon at home in early 2000s at the Manor. Matt Murphy and a young Dean Whitehead sent off in a 2-0 defeat

Nobody talking about how Branagan was booked for no reason "kicking the ball away" when he never even touched it, just let it roll past.

Were there any additional injuries yesterday? Hopefully Goodrham will be well recovered before the Blackpool match. Should mean we can cover for Mills.

I think we still have a few options. Across the front 3 we could still employ Harris, Goodram, Murphy, God, Leigh, Bodin and Ruben…

After sleeping on it, I thought there was a lot of nonsense yesterday. We can speculate that rovers are a decent side and should have scored or whatever, but there is absolutely no doubt that we were sub standard. If I was manning I would know that we should have scored at least 3 goals yesterday and should have not been under the pressure that we were for the last few minutes. If we would have shown the same levels of game management and decision making as the Exeter game, there would have been absolutely nothing to worry about.

Anyway, for me the break has come at A good time. We looked a bit leggy imo.

Also, I would like a striker and possibly a right back please.

Back
Top Bottom