Away Match Day Thread 01/10/22 - L1: Charlton v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some improvement today but here we are ten games into the season and we‘re languishing in the bottom half of the table having played a few, not many, of the top teams so far. Not very encouraging form.
Had Bodin scored instead of blazing over my mood may be different.
We do have some key players returning from injury and Robinson can only hope that they, and the existing fit players, get their act together sharpish otherwise it’s time to seriously consider a change of manager.

It only takes one game to prove that doesn’t it? They either run or they don’t and nobody has a gun to their head. They didn’t look like a team who thought their coach was a pillock and wanted him replaced. They put in the miles today and to a man they looked like they cared.

Every game is a cup final in yours eyes and a couple of others I’ve heard because you want KR out the door - fair enough. I too need more convincing that I was wrong to suggest change. But today was a reminder that they are still playing for him in my opinion and I feel much, much better for seeing that and so will the owners.
You cant tell after one game. Whats with every game is a cup game? I dont quite understand that, assume its some kind of sly dig.
Do I think we can do better management wise. Well, with so many other teams above us with smaller budgets, yes.
Today was another 2 points lost, considering Charlton havent won since August I heard.
As far as the owners are concerned and have said promotion is the target, presumably with 4 years of nothing. The games start piling up now and after the cup final get even harder. With confidence sky high high after his assessment of todays game, Im sure he feels promotion is still on. Come the end of October lets see where we are.

You cant tell after one game. Whats with every game is a cup game? I dont quite understand that, assume its some kind of sly dig.
Do I think we can do better management wise. Well, with so many other teams above us with smaller budgets, yes.
Today was another 2 points lost, considering Charlton havent won since August I heard.
As far as the owners are concerned and have said promotion is the target, presumably with 4 years of nothing. The games start piling up now and after the cup final get even harder. With confidence sky high high after his assessment of todays game, Im sure he feels promotion is still on. Come the end of October lets see where we are.
Four years of nothing? It’s a shame you haven’t enjoyed such an exciting period. If we do get promoted you can look forward to a lot more than four years of nothing, unless you’re immediately going to start whining about not being in the premier league.

Four years of nothing? It’s a shame you haven’t enjoyed such an exciting period. If we do get promoted you can look forward to a lot more than four years of nothing, unless you’re immediately going to start whining about not being in the premier league.
I enjoy your contributions, Werthers, but I think you may be being deliberately obtuse here. I'm confident everyone would agree that there has been much to enjoy over the past four years, but as the Board have stressed in the past week, promotion is the number one objective and that currently looks highly unlikely again this season.

Against a background of little to enjoy since, when, April, and with a manager who hasn't won anything for ten years, I believe the Board would be fully justified in looking for a replacement right now.

I enjoy your contributions, Werthers, but I think you may be being deliberately obtuse here. I'm confident everyone would agree that there has been much to enjoy over the past four years, but as the Board have stressed in the past week, promotion is the number one objective and that currently looks highly unlikely again this season.

Against a background of little to enjoy since, when, April, and with a manager who hasn't won anything for ten years, I believe the Board would be fully justified in looking for a replacement right now.
That’s not my point . Obvs we need to progress and we may be looking for a new manager soon,but we haven’t had four years of nothing - we’ve had four exciting years with a lot of great football.

It’s not a dig, no. What I’m saying is people who are adamant he should go will believe every game is a must-win to save his job. In reality, he’s probably got more credit in the bank than we think for those ‘4 years of nothing’ which included a trip to Wembley and only Luton fans have celebrated more goals than I have in the last 5 years.

Believe it or not promotion is still on. Ask Nottingham forest fans. It’s a tall order that looks beyond us right now but today was encouraging and if you don’t believe that then I would say that’s a conscious choice to be negative. There was very little to criticise today other than a lack of ruthless edge that we need to find.

I’m not especially happy with Karl’s regime right now. But for as long as he’s here I’ll call it as I see it and support the team. If Karl is still here in 12 months it’ll be because we’ve had a good season - I won’t be moaning.

I said that earlier we have had some great players ,sold a lot of players for good money .Had some great season we just want the icing on the cake ,

and only Luton fans have celebrated more goals than I have in the last 5 years.
This may come across as negative, and we certainly played some very good stuff, but I'd hope with scoring that many goals we'd have a promotion to show for it. If we had then we would still have featured so highly, with at least a year at a higher level? I suspect no, and this isn't to crap on our goalscoring achievements but to highlight that we've had huge issues defensively during this time that haven't been addressed.
Believe it or not promotion is still on. Ask Nottingham forest fans.
They might tell you that their season turned around when they sacked their underperforming manager and got a new one. I see your point that you can turn things around and there is some talent in this squad, but pointing at Forest isn't a great argument for keeping Robbo for me, it's an argument that decisive action from a board in removing a manager who isn't performing can save a season that looks like it's going the wrong way.

Very harsh, Henry was consistently excellent for years for us, even last season he started well before injuries did for him. He's always seemed to have been held to much higher standards than most the rest of the squad.

That said there's no way he should have been given a 2 year deal this summer and I'm pretty sure a different manager would be playing Jones ahead of him as he doesn't warrant a starting place.
Yeah sorry, to be clear I meant in the last couple of seasons 'at our best', so League One when we've made the play-offs. Prior to that at points he helped carry us and was consistently a key player.

Was great to go today. Fantastic Oxford support especially considering travel chaos. I enjoyed it.

I feel much more confident that we will not be in a relegation fight. However, anyone thinking we'll be in or around the playoffs must be on the OUFC payroll.

Ciaron Brown was very good. Long atrocious and continually got done.

Joseph is not good enough, simple. What p1ss poor recruitment that was.

Gutting thing is the biggest budget we've ever had has been so appallingly spent by KR, yet again.

KR out for me still - sooner the better.

Great to be back amongst our fans, I've missed it.

Interesting to see a few come out of hiding after a 1-1 draw away at a poor Charlton side. How we’ve not taken 3 points from that position at half time is beyond me.
Those very same people who’ve been having digs at people for “overreacting” to defeats this season.
It wasn’t long ago we went to the Valley & put on a clinic winning 4-0.

The huge drop in standards by a large section of supporters I don’t get. It’s almost as if they’d rather we be bang average at best under KR than twist and give a new man & his coaching staff a chance to change our fortunes. We should be demanding better than what we got today. I don’t get all the positivity personally.

Was great to go today. Fantastic Oxford support especially considering travel chaos. I enjoyed it.

I feel much more confident that we will not be in a relegation fight. However, anyone thinking we'll be in or around the playoffs must be on the OUFC payroll.

Ciaron Brown was very good. Long atrocious and continually got done.

Joseph is not good enough, simple. What p1ss poor recruitment that was.

Gutting thing is the biggest budget we've ever had has been so appallingly spent by KR, yet again.

KR out for me still - sooner the better.

Great to be back amongst our fans, I've missed it.
I actually thought Joseph played well..Henry I thought was poor and I’m not sure what Bates is supposed to be, football is all about opinions I suppose..Also,Mcguanne needs to play higher up the pitch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom