Away Match Day Thread 01/10/22 - L1: Charlton v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Safe travels to everyone, I hope it’s worth the extra efforts, with the train strike,

A much stronger team avaliable is this the start of the season let's hope so. Its a new dawn its new day 3-0 win would be magic.

Depending who is fit to play and then what system we play will have a huge bearing in this match
If we have Henry and Brown as wingbacks we will get soundly beaten
If Moore, Taylor, Jones are used we have a fighting chance
So first option 3-0 defeat
Second option 1-1 draw

REF WATCH

ENIuN-uW4AEyEcU

West Yorkshire based official Bobby Madley is the man in the middle at the Valley today.
Took control of three U’s matches last season:

August 17th - Oxford U 1-0 Crewe
January 29th - Gillingham 2-7 Oxford U
April 15th - Fleetwood 2-3 Oxford U

Madley awarded six penalties in those three matches. Five to the U’s.

Bit surprised to see Charlton so far down and only a point better off than us. There was some hype about them making a promotion push this season (even with a few ex Swindon players and manager that couldn't get out of league 2) but it looks like they've had a miserable start so far. Today is definitely an opportunity but it'll also be a good test especially with some hard fixtures coming up for us.

It should be an emotional day for Robbo, having managed both clubs. I imagine he keeps an eye on their scores, but I’m confident he will be 100% Oxford today. COYY!

It should be an emotional day for Robbo, having managed both clubs. I imagine he keeps an eye on their scores, but I’m confident he will be 100% Oxford today. COYY!

Hopefully it goes better than the last time we played a club he has previously managed.

The idea of Rak-sakyi running at Seddon today gives me the chills.

Great to be back, though. Team selection will be fascinating. I’m realistic enough to know probably only one or two of the players returning will start. Moore and maybe Taylor would be my guess. But the bench should, in theory, be really strong today and give us plenty of options.

Feeling optimistic.

todays referee is Carl Boyeson .... in 4 matches this campaign he's issued 11 yellow cards

as posted by @WestOxon U’s (above) ex PL ref Robert Madley is today's ref

Last edited:
If Gorrin and Moore are fit to start then I’d revert to the tried and trusted 4-3-3 of last season.

Eastwood,
Long, Moore, Findlay, Brown,
Henry, Gorrin, Brannigan,
Mcguane, Joseph, Browne.

This would finally give us some pace, width and trickery with McGuane & Browne.
A solid back 4, reuniting the Long, Henry partnership on the right hand side that has worked well in the past.
We need a fit Gorrin to play the defensive midfield role for this to formation to be really effective.

Hopefully Taylor is fit enough to make the bench, as is Jones who deserves his chance in the squad after a positive performance for Malta midweek.

If Gorrin and Moore are fit to start then I’d revert to the tried and trusted 4-3-3 of last season.

Eastwood,
Mcguane, Joseph, Browne.

A solid back 4, reuniting the Long, Henry partnership on the right hand side that has worked well in the past.
We need a fit Gorrin to play the defensive midfield role for this to formation to be really effective.

Hopefully Taylor is fit enough to make the bench, as is Jones who deserves his chance in the squad after a positive performance for Malta midweek.
McGuane on the wing? Taxi!

Can you imagine the reaction on the forum if KR were to do that… I’d fully support him if he were to join and say ‘after all the sh*t you give me, you’d accept trying Marcus on the wing??’

It would be Karlmageddon.

Eastwood,
Mcguane, Joseph, Browne.

I'd very much echo this approach.

We don't know how ready Gorrin really is, so may perhaps stick with mcguane at DM, and someone else wide right, but the rest I agree (solid, stay at home back four+Browne wide left rather than wasted in MF)

The takeover news and players coming back from injury will give the team the encouragement it needs to perform better. Assuming at least two of the walking wounded are ready to start I'm going for a 2-1 win :LOL:. No players back and I'm going for a 2-1 defeat :cry:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom