Away Match Day Thread 01/10/22 - L1: Charlton v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t remember the good attacking football bit so we will have to disagree on this one. My memory was that many were already calling for ‘Horton out’. Long time ago so easy for either of us to be mistaken.
My theory is that we were good at home, playing exciting stuff with wingers, but feeble away, and the hard core that travelled got fed up with this. I only went to home games and recall us being a good side. We’d kill for that situation now.

I thought we were one of those 'big spending' teams so we shouldn't be at 'our' end of the table
Are you a "big spending team" if the money's available but the manager is unable or unwilling to spend it?

Are you a "big spending team" if the money's available but the manager is unable or unwilling to spend it?
Unable or unwilling to spend it all, yes.
Even what we have spent over the Summer (and further aback - Browne) must be considered big spending - certainly some of the wages. Whether it's value for money is certainly up for debate but I'd wager we have spent enough to be considered one of the aforementioned high rollers.

I took along a Spurs season ticket holder who has played at a decent level. He felt we were a good passing team and should have shaded it despite a more open, even second half. He was impressed with Browne, Brannagan and McGuane. Felt the latter 2 looked to have time and vision. My take - great vocal support from a remarkable away support despite the train strike. Back 4 looked solid, Moore very good as was Ciaran Brown. Joseph works as hard as any striker I have seen but lacks a little in skill. Better all round performance but still a tad low on confidence re shooting. Browne’s goal was excellent.

I went on Saturday.
Other than our game at Derby ,I left with a far more optimistic outlook than I had for any game this season.
Some green shoots at last .

Fwiw I thought we looked a bit more fluid yesterday with our playing style and with Moore back we looked a more solid unit. Attacking wise we just need to pull the bloody trigger at the right time which would make all the difference to our slightly pitiful points tally atm.

On a personal note I haven't seen too much to be over excited about C.Brown but yesterday the geezer was bang at it Chrissy Wilder style. He did a wingers run in the second half which had me confused to which Brown(e) it was and I think the guy after my ol' age confusion has now notched my bed post. I like him a lot more now. I have seen the error of my ways.

The little lad from Leeds is growing... not in size but in linking. He just needs (not Leeds) to pull that trigger when in a position like he was yesterday and he will for sure open his account and from this more will goals will follow.

However, above all that I must mention our stopper's save.. Eastwood has probably saved the season for me fizzling out early. I thought it was a top class stop and from that he has kept the number 1 jersey for the time being.

Last but not least...over a 1000 fans to a London postcode that hasn't ever been the easiest to get to and one which suddenly became yesterday even harder too do so. I personally parked in SW11, then ubered to L.Bridge, tubed to North Greenwich, ubered to the Valley, watched the game, then limped 2.8 miles back to Noth Greenwich, tubed to L.Bridge, tubed to Clapham Common, ubered to SW11, then collected the ol' horse then enjoyed and encountered a three hour journey home due to Wandsworth bridge problems and long delays in Hammersmith to Chiswick and finally getting home at 10! Imagine if Carsberg did bleating...

Ohh...and we might finally after yesterdays performance...be actually now 'on the way'.

COYY'S

On a personal note I haven't seen too much to be over excited about C.Brown but yesterday the geezer was bang at it Chrissy Wilder style. He did a wingers run in the second half which had me confused to which Brown(e) it was and I think the guy after my ol' age confusion has now notched my bed post. I like him a lot more now. I have seen the error of my ways.
Brown is solid and reliable, never lets us down. But are you sure you're not thinking of Findlay's charge down the left? He ran about 40 yards with it, whipped in a cross which was well brought down by Taylor, laid off to Joseph but the shot was blocked.

I wonder if the difference was that yesterday Eastwood, Findlay and Moore were all playing well at the same time, often we only get one of three. Add in C. Brown performing as well and hopefully we’ll have a decent back line to build from going forwards, allowing the returning forwards to do their thang. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom