EPL VAR

VAR

• Keep It

• Remove It

• Don't Care

Results are only viewable after voting.
from https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...gh-premier-league-admits-var-needs-to-improve

"Before VAR 82% of the decisions [referees] made were deemed to be correct,” Scholes said. “In the season so far, that figure is 96%. VAR so far this year has intervened correctly on 57 occasions, 24 of those where VAR has intervened on a factually incorrect mistake on the pitch.” (With the other 33 subjective decisions such as reckless challenges.)
The league’s statistics also show there have been 20 VAR errors this season, down from 25 this time last year. Seventeen of these 20 errors, according to Scholes, came when VARs chose not to intervene to correct a referee’s decision."

• React
Reactions: QR
Yet again the reason you go to games "for the moment" is absolutely ruined.
...and in this case 'the moment' was believing you were 2-0 in a semi-final and going through to the final with less than 5 mins left, to conceding a penalty for 1-1 and playing extra time. That is one hell of a comedown, imagine trying to pick yourself back up again after that!

from https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...gh-premier-league-admits-var-needs-to-improve

"Before VAR 82% of the decisions [referees] made were deemed to be correct,” Scholes said. “In the season so far, that figure is 96%. VAR so far this year has intervened correctly on 57 occasions, 24 of those where VAR has intervened on a factually incorrect mistake on the pitch.” (With the other 33 subjective decisions such as reckless challenges.)
The league’s statistics also show there have been 20 VAR errors this season, down from 25 this time last year. Seventeen of these 20 errors, according to Scholes, came when VARs chose not to intervene to correct a referee’s decision."

The 'correctly' bit is also open to interpretation as plenty of decisions are subjective and based on opinion.

The other 18% were discussed in the pub after............. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully they trial it in the women's game first so they can realise it's a stupid idea and we don't have to deal with it.

Hopefully they trial it in the women's game first so they can realise it's a stupid idea and we don't have to deal with it.
The story mentions the FA are keen to try it in the FA Cup next year, so it will only be an issue for us in one or maybe two games.

...and in this case 'the moment' was believing you were 2-0 in a semi-final and going through to the final with less than 5 mins left, to conceding a penalty for 1-1 and playing extra time. That is one hell of a comedown, imagine trying to pick yourself back up again after that!

This was probably the zenith of 'jaw-droppingy shite' moments at football. fortunately Nigeria won on penalties and will lose to Cote d'Ivoire on Sunday.

On the whole the VAR has been used pretty sensibly and relatively quickly by the authorities in AFCon 23.

In theory I quite like the idea of a sin bin for say 10/15 min as in rugby, but in practice I can see the team that is down to 10 men going into overdrive as far as time wasting is concerned while the player is in the bin. Yes, some of that time may be added at the end of the game, but by that time they have 11 players back on the pitch.

Of course as far as time wasting is concerned, a lot will depend on the current state of the game.

I quite like the idea of them if they are used for dissent and cynical fouls. This season, games have flowed so much more due to the new rules about all time being added on, yellow card for kicking the ball away and 30 seconds off the pitch if you get treatment from the physio - all good additions.

Grabbing a player who is breaking free at the expense of a yellow is almost a part of each game now and so if this is eradicated by the threat of going down to 10 men for 10 minutes, all good in my book. Guaranteed that after a couple of games, there will be no dissent towards referees which is how it should be regardless of how useless they are. :)

30 seconds off the pitch if you get treatment from the physio - all good additions.
This is flawed, especially when the player is off for more than 30 seconds, the player that committed the foul should leave for the same time as the injured player if an offence was committed.

Guaranteed that after a couple of games, there will be no dissent towards referees which is how it should be regardless of how useless they are. :)

I agree with you here regarding no dissent against refs and I feel rugby does things right in this respect. I would prefer if refs were more stern in attitude and confidence and gave yellow and red to players by taking no s**t from them and by just bottom lining the players dissent or foul in play. I feel the blue card is ignoring the elephant in the room of the refs not actually doing their jobs. Or something like that.

In theory I quite like the idea of a sin bin for say 10/15 min as in rugby, but in practice I can see the team that is down to 10 men going into overdrive as far as time wasting is concerned while the player is in the bin. Yes, some of that time may be added at the end of the game, but by that time they have 11 players back on the pitch.

Of course as far as time wasting is concerned, a lot will depend on the current state of the game.
Good point, but the 10mins sin bin spell off the pitch is a full 10mins, so the clock stops when there are stoppages etc. A player sin binned on 43mins doesn’t come back on until 8mins of the second half have elapsed (assuming no stoppage time), and only comes back on when the ref/4th official says and when the ball is out of play for a throw-in, goal kick etc.

It’s easily managed and a really good rule. At grassroots level (Step 3), some clubs are taking a stance that a player sin binned will be substituted after their 10mins has elapsed, e.g. they won’t play again in the game, which is one way of instilling respect in a squad.

I agree with you here regarding no dissent against refs and I feel rugby does things right in this respect. I would prefer if refs were more stern in attitude and confidence and gave yellow and red to players by taking no s**t from them and by just bottom lining the players dissent or foul in play. I feel the blue card is ignoring the elephant in the room of the refs not actually doing their jobs. Or something like that.
The problem is it's another decision to sell and another routine to establish among all the colleagues. I can tell you that even the smallest change to a law or playing condition (cricket at least) goes through so many hands before it's ready for the officials, including the establishment of best practices, examples and recommendations. Which will bring challenges for some of the refs we have seen this season, including in acceptance among them too).

Good point, but the 10mins sin bin spell off the pitch is a full 10mins, so the clock stops when there are stoppages etc. A player sin binned on 43mins doesn’t come back on until 8mins of the second half have elapsed (assuming no stoppage time), and only comes back on when the ref/4th official says and when the ball is out of play for a throw-in, goal kick etc.

It’s easily managed and a really good rule. At grassroots level (Step 3), some clubs are taking a stance that a player sin binned will be substituted after their 10mins has elapsed, e.g. they won’t play again in the game, which is one way of instilling respect in a squad.
I can see the sin-binning taking up a lot of faffing time and slowing the game down. However it might be effective in stopping the 'taking one for the team' deliberate foul, when a booking is just shrugged off.

The VAR also falls down in cup games. A championship side playing a premier side doesn’t have it, but in the replay the premier side has it.
Why is the premier league so special?

Back
Top Bottom