EPL Riley on VAR in PL

Sarge

God like member
Mike Riley, head referee, on VAR & how it will & wont be used in PL ....

Mike Riley, head referee, on VAR & how it will & wont be used in PL ....

So Riley says - we are going to use VAR differently in the PL.
But Collina says - no you're not. the laws of the game are the same for everyone.
This is turning into a bit of a dog's breakfast before the season has even started.

So Riley says - we are going to use VAR differently in the PL.
But Collina says - no you're not. the laws of the game are the same for everyone.
This is turning into a bit of a dog's breakfast before the season has even started.

Only from what I've briefly read Riley is right on this one as it is the threshold/bar that VAR is used to check. Other leagues across the world use it in different ways while using the same laws based on what level the VAR review is triggered. For example, the A League use it for far more decisions than Serie A but both use the same laws to make decisions.

Only from what I've briefly read Riley is right on this one as it is the threshold/bar that VAR is used to check. Other leagues across the world use it in different ways while using the same laws based on what level the VAR review is triggered. For example, the A League use it for far more decisions than Serie A but both use the same laws to make decisions.
From a common sense perspective most would agree that Riley is correct.
But Collina is also correct - if we want to have consistency in refereeing and, like it or loathe it, VAR is probably here to stay, we cannot continue to have the laws interpreted and applied differently in different countries and leagues.
We will end up playing different games and international tournaments will become impossible to referee.

From a common sense perspective most would agree that Riley is correct.
But Collina is also correct - if we want to have consistency in refereeing and, like it or loathe it, VAR is probably here to stay, we cannot continue to have the laws interpreted and applied differently in different countries and leagues.
We will end up playing different games and international tournaments will become impossible to referee.

This is UEFA/FIFA and individual leagues so while I see what Collina is saying, what is actually happening is that leagues/countries are interpreting the point when VAR is used differently.

This is UEFA/FIFA and individual leagues so while I see what Collina is saying, what is actually happening is that leagues/countries are interpreting the point when VAR is used differently.
And therein lies the problem. It is not up to UEFA or FIFA or individual leagues how to use VAR.
The laws of the game, how they are interpreted and applied, including the use of VAR is the jurisdiction of IFAB.
If everybody decides to do their own thing with VAR then IFAB are going to need to reign it in and be more prescriptive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom