General VAR - time to scrap it?

Should VAR be scrapped?

• Yes

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
Quite right! It’s the same incompetent officials in charge of the decisions. Other sports that use video technology get it sorted within half a minute, and overrule or give the right decision. It’s great that it’s in the game, but needs to be used properly.

Part of the problem is that the people in charge of using it are the same crap officials it was brought in to help out in the first place. See a problem there?! It should be an independent VAR team who are experts with the technology, not a current ref who that week wasn't given a game to officiate. Additionally, there should be a time window for a VAR decision to be made. Say, 45 seconds? To have a crowd waiting 3 and a half minutes where nobody has any clue what's going on is utterly ridiculous. If you cannot tell in that specified time frame that the on-field decision was wrong and it's taking an age to look at every available image, it naturally follows that it is not a clear and obvious error. Which was their reason for bringing in VAR in the first place.

Indeed, if you can't decide in something like 30-40 seconds then it isn't clear and obvious.

Scrap it now. It's ok for episodic games like rugby, cricket and so-called American football but not for the sport of flow, skill and emotion.
The thing with Cricket is any decisions to be made happen not only within the 22 yards between the stumps, but also within a small area around the crease. All the technology is focused in on this small area. In football, the incidents can happen anywhere on the pitch. It's just not feasible to cover a football pitch with the same level of detail.

Please get rid of it. It only serves as a catalysts for these wannabe shite pundits/so called referees to have a job.

Don’t they all talk some shite? I mean, when you hear the likes of Robbie Savage debating a slight touch on the ankle or innocuous shirt pull after reviewing numerous extra slow motion clips to justify a booking, it’s just hard to listen to when you remember the shite he dealt out and argued tooth nail to prove his innocence.

I am against VAR but I do think it has a place, it is just being implemented very poorly by the Premier League.

They are taking too long over the offside decisions, and I agree with a comment above, if you can’t work it out within a set time period give the attacker the benefit of the doubt.

The failure to overturn obvious mistakes is what frustrates me. Take Man Utd goal against Liverpool. A clear foul in the build up so should’ve been chalked off. How were Leicester not given a penalty last night, arsenal player grabbed him around the neck. Such clear mistakes yet not being pulled up.

Refs should look at the pitch side monitor where there is a possible foul before a goal, or for a penalty and for a red card and he makes the decision.

Totally absurd. Looking at it again and again, I'm sure 99 linesmen would not flag that as offside.
This is indicative of how refs think …... a rule is a rule which I WILL implement irrelevant of any common sense, I don't care if it spoils the game I want to be centre of attention, I AM going to apply that rule, however absurd and annoy everyone.
The time and place for use of VAR is simple Is it a " clear and obvious" mistake? ie 99 times out of 100 would the decision have gone the other way. No need for fancy horizontal, vertical, dotted lines in Stockley Park, a monitor at side of pitch which the ref and fourth official can refer to if there is a request from a captain and/or manager. Each team has one call a match.

It won’t be scrapped, but it should be. Genie is out of the bottle now.

TV companies love VAR.

VAR is a crap experience for fans who actually support and attend games.

It’s ruined the game. Thankfully I doubt it will be implemented at our level

For offside, surely there should be something equivalent to Umpire's Call in cricket due to uncertainty in when the ball actually leaves a player's foot. Would it make sense that if the lines drawn across the pitch are touching, then decision stays with the linesman's decision?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought VAR was for clear and obvious errors from the ref. Well if it takes more than 30 secs to get an outcome it ain’t clear and obvious. Also even with all the angles there is still so many different opinions from pundits and spectators alike. I hate it and so glad we don’t have it.

How dare they even try and contemplate dissallowing gorgeous George’s goal yesterday

Please get rid of it. It only serves as a catalysts for these wannabe shite pundits/so called referees to have a job.

Don’t they all talk some shite? I mean, when you hear the likes of Robbie Savage debating a slight touch on the ankle or innocuous shirt pull after reviewing numerous extra slow motion clips to justify a booking, it’s just hard to listen to when you remember the shite he dealt out and argued tooth nail to prove his innocence.

Some pundits on TV are now saying get rid. Rio Ferdinand, Gary Lineker, Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas have all said it.

Some pundits on TV are now saying get rid. Rio Ferdinand, Gary Lineker, Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas have all said it.

Not sure they want rid of it or how it’s being managed, but I hope you’re right.

Not sure they want rid of it or how it’s being managed, but I hope you’re right.

Gary Lineker yesterday said get rid of it on Match of the Day. Danny Murphy has said it for weeks as has Rio Ferdinand because it ruins it for the fans when the ball goes in the net followed by the delay for VAR. Likewise, Jenas.

Also Jeff Stelling said it numerous times back by some of the others yesterday on Soccer Saturday and has on other episodes as well.

They are stuck with it until the end of the season after which the "experiment" can be reviewed.

If it is kept, I'd like it to be taken away from the referee and put in the hands of the team captain and to ensure that he only appeals for cases where there is genuine feeling of injustice, an unsuccessful appeal would see the team lose a substitution - if you're not sure, accept the decision and get on with the game.

Another fine VAR mess in the late game today.

After yesterday's finessing the decision, they got 2 decisions wrong that had an impact on the game. Sheff Utd fans are going nuts on social media because they feel hard done by; Citeh fans are going nuts because of the Laporte hand ball against Spurs that was given and meant they didn't win. And now today it's not hand ball and Liverpool score at the other end.

I realised why in part it's such a ish show. Referees like David Coote who terrorised the lower leagues in the past 10 years with the inconsistency of decision making are the same ones who are making VAR decisions. It should be no surprise that VAR is the complete mess it is. Add Mike Riley into the mess and you are on a race to the bottom.

PGMOL are so unbelievably unfit for purpose that they can no longer be trusted to be arbiters of the officiating in the premier league. If I were running the premier league, I'd be seriously considering binning them off ASAP. Or binning off VAR until PGMOL can prove they have a clue about how to use it and apply the rules consistently.

Back
Top Bottom