Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holland got stronger each game with us last time and now has 18 months more experience.
But how many of those 18 months was he off injured, and how often was he playing for the rest of it? I welcome the return of Holland because I think he showed potential, but I think that things like his goal against Newcastle has given some a rose-tinted view of his time with us. That said, I welcome him back and hope he can show the glimpses of potential from a few years ago on a more consistent basis.

Maybe we should start a new thread for this but that's crazy to me, it was so clearly far better
I think it slowed down too many matches, instead of injecting energy like you think it would. It's also a big get out of jail free card for a manager if they can sub off half their outfield when they get their tactics wrong, and many were only using the last 2 subs in the 85th+ minute anyway.

But how many of those 18 months was he off injured, and how often was he playing for the rest of it? I welcome the return of Holland because I think he showed potential, but I think that things like his goal against Newcastle has given some a rose-tinted view of his time with us. That said, I welcome him back and hope he can show the glimpses of potential from a few years ago on a more consistent basis.

He didn't play for 8 months (mid-March to mid-Dec 2020) after he suffered a set back from the injury he picked up at Shrewsbury but he caught the last half of Premier League 2

Holland needs consistency - he had some good games but also a lot of totally ineffective ones. At 23 he’s on the verge of no longer being a ‘young’ player who can keep being referred to as having potential. Next season has to be the one where he pushes on.

The main worry is those hamstrings. They’re a chronic issue and he barely played any football last season, even at academy level. He left here nearly 18 months ago and has made one appearance in the pizza pot, and maybe half a dozen in the U23s in that time. He’s older but not really any more experienced.

Good luck to him if he comes back, but probably worth tempering expectations if he does. He will need time.

Holland needs consistency - he had some good games but also a lot of totally ineffective ones. At 23 he’s on the verge of no longer being a ‘young’ player who can keep being referred to as having potential. Next season has to be the one where he pushes on.
The main worry is those hamstrings. They’re a chronic issue and he barely played any football last season, even at academy level. He left here nearly 18 months ago and has made one appearance in the pizza pot, and maybe half a dozen in the U23s in that time. He’s older but not really any more experienced.

Good luck to him if he comes back, but probably worth tempering expectations if he does. He will need time.

If the rumours are correct, of a loan with option to buy, that would seem to be a shrewd move

My best guess - and it is a guess - is that the 'option to buy' mentioned is actually an obligation to buy assuming he makes a certain number of appearances for us between now and January. This will be exactly for the reasons you suggest and an insurance policy for us in case we cannot get a consistent run of games out of him. It's highly unlikely West Ham will want him back now even if he had a great season, otherwise they'd give him an extension ahead of his loan to us as their own insurance policy. He's on a free next year anyway (I think) so all things considered, it's likely to be an obligation to buy the player based on certain conditions being met.

Missed out on Tomlinson. Going to The Championship.
Was he one of the two being referred to by KR yesterday?
Hopefully the one they were hoping to finalise last night, rather than the one described as done.

Don't forget, it's also likely he would have been waiting for his chance behind Seddon and Long.... So maybe a lower end Championship club is prepared to throw him in. Hard to argue if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom