Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've just said on his thread, villa already have Martinez, Jed steer, and I think two very highly rated u23 keepers at the club.

JS would not be #2 there any time soon and in truth would more likely disappear into obscurity pretty quickly
Yes, maybe - he’d be seen again in two years when he went on loan to Plymouth or someone. But it would be very hard to turn down.

Money talks but I suspect a 2nd or even 3rd choice keeper in the premier league makes a similar amount to first choice keepers at top end championship clubs yet they get the perk of playing every week as well! I think another year here at the same level as the last would earn him a number 1 shirt in the top half of the championship where he would play.

He’s simply not going to play at Villa. He has plenty of time to earn more money in the game - he’s probably got 15 years left to play, injury permitted, so he’d be well advised to keep playing for now.

Woah arent people getting a bit ahead of themselves here?! ‘Villa could turn their attention..’ is a long way off Stevens packing his bags.

Problem is money talks and if your sat in the stands but earning 15k a week would you be fussed about playing knowing that once your contract is finished and they release you your set for life and another team will pick you up

Not meaning to P**s on any bonfires, but have you also heard about a certain younger member of the squad joining a PL club? Seems a pretty strong source that it’s imminent along with the other 2 outgoings previously mentioned

Edit: I fully understand Kip will be tugging one off to this, best to get it in sooner rather than later
🧐😏

Statistically last season he was yes!
Depends what statistics you are looking at? Ederson had the most clean sheets, Mendy 2nd, Martinez 3rd. Sam Johnstone made the most saves, followed by Ramsdale with Martinez again in 3rd. Lloris tops the save percentage chart with Martinez in 4th. An excellent season for him, certainly, but not sure he’s at the top on the more obvious measures.

Issue is, keeper stats are very skewed by the team they are in, admittedly - I.e. Ederson will have faced a fraction of the shots faced by the likes of Johnstone. But stats are stats, I suppose!

From memory they tend to transition from back to front very quickly, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good pass and movement and I'm not saying they're exactly like Wycombe, but I'm sure they play forward quickly and compete for the second ball. We miss a centre back who regularly gets first contact on a direct ball forward and can get it back over the heads of the opposition midfield. Of recent centre backs, Dunkley was unrivalled at that. Obviously at League 1 level you probably then compromise on something else, like being able to play it out. Reports are McNally is a bit of a specimen so hopefully he could be that player.
Similar to the way Blackpool played us in the play offs. Also Barnsley when they took us apart at Wembley.

Easty was in terrible nick and was rightly dropped. He’s been a brilliant keeper at this level and I would hope seeing JS come in would make him more determined to prove his quality again.

if Jack does go (and it needs to be big cash) then I’m fully behind Easty.

Easty was in terrible nick and was rightly dropped. He’s been a brilliant keeper at this level and I would hope seeing JS come in would make him more determined to prove his quality again.

if Jack does go (and it needs to be big cash) then I’m fully behind Easty.
Really?

I understand this position as Easty was solid for us for a long time, but we need to make sure we don't have short memories. Last season he was terrible beyond belief, we were in a relegation battle before Stevens stepped up and totally transformed our season.

There is bad form, and then there is Easty last season, a total liability every week.

I think most of us realised that when easty signed a new three year deal it was always on the cards that at some point he would get back into the side , robbo and Brown have both being bigging him up saying he is training well etc , I hope we keep stevens but no one is going to turn down the chance of a premier league move , he could get injured in training, if Eastwood starts against Cambridge then i won’t be worried

No thanks. It was more than a bad run, it was a third of the season…
A continuation from the previous seasons play offs.

Everyone was aware, interest in Stevens may or would probably happen this summer.
And I’d expect the club would have a contingency plan in place, just in case.
If the fees something special, and it’s a good move for Stevens.
Then fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom