Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
A club that more often then not finds a way to get out of L1 without a ridiculous budget. They might not stay up without further investment but I’d take getting out of L1 anyway.
So would I but would prefer we could stay for sometime get the investment that we would need to at least stay in the championship

I'd be okay with our extra CB being an established player on loan. You go for a youngster and you could end up with another Grayson.

I don't know if there are any reserve Championship CBs that are available on that kind of deal, but that's what I'd go for.
Think someone like Charlie Goode from Brentford would be a good example didn’t get a lot of game time last season since his £750k move from Northampton last summer,

Think someone like Charlie Goode from Brentford would be a good example didn’t get a lot of game time last season since his £750k move from Northampton last summer,
Sometimes a player like Goode for example gets the big move but doesn’t work out so a step backwards could help him take two steps forward wouldn’t be a bad shout

We can't hope we go through the whole season again without any of our back 4 getting injured. I know there is Mousinho but he's not in the squad to play 40+ games this season. Atkinson was brilliant last season, especially at bringing the ball out of the back and I imagine the ball playing centre back is the type we like. I would love to see a big powerful type come in though, as you already know we'll struggle against Wycombe and Rotherham teams who pump the ball forward quickly.
Just mentioned someone like Charlie Goode would be a good example & would excellent fit for our club, he offers a physical presence, tall lad 6.5ft, got plenty of league experience behind him at a good age of 25 & has a ability of putting a Rory Delap type of long throw in’s into the penalty box which is a bonus

Sometimes a player like Goode for example gets the big move but doesn’t work out so a step backwards could help him take two steps forward wouldn’t be a bad shout
Gavin Whyte helping Hull to promotion comes to mind, fair shout.
I also don’t think anybody at the club is banking on Mous playing more than a squad/leadership role. However, I’d have absolutely no problem having him back because what he lacks in pace now, he makes up for as a leader, organiser and experienced head which we could have really done with on the big occasions like the play offs.
No idea where Mous is right now in terms of athleticism but Blackpool could have embarrassed anyone who was not up to standard in pace or power.

For the more general discussion, I absolutely think Brannagan, Long and Moore are leaders and up for going toe to toe with anyone. You can never have too many of those characters but they need to be able to hold their own on the pitch, please no more strikers that aren't an attacking threat thrown on for "experience".

Blackpool matched us for skill and bossed us in the physical game, more than the psychological one. We couldn't match their intensity, rather than not wanting to. For me.

Gavin Whyte helping Hull to promotion comes to mind, fair shout.

No idea where Mous is right now in terms of athleticism but Blackpool could have embarrassed anyone who was not up to standard in pace or power.

For the more general discussion, I absolutely think Brannagan, Long and Moore are leaders and up for going toe to toe with anyone. You can never have too many of those characters but they need to be able to hold their own on the pitch, please no more strikers that aren't an attacking threat thrown on for "experience".

Blackpool matched us for skill and bossed us in the physical game, more than the psychological one. We couldn't match their intensity, rather than not wanting to. For me.

That has unfortunately been our problem in many occasions, we need to be more physical in some of our game play and then we may win a few more. We have a skilful team but more is needs to help us to win.
Can’t remember the game last season we pressed high and whoever it was couldn’t cope and we ran out comfortable winner, however the next home game the opposition pressed us high and bullied and we couldn’t cope with it.
Hope this coming season this maybe addressed and we can see strong football.

Tomlinson would be an excellent signing on paper. He’s one of the most two-footed players you’ll see. Naturally a righty but his left is a good 90% as strong. Can play either left or right back comfortably which would be great in terms of flexibility. Fingers crossed.
Should he sign it would be disappointing for you to see him on only the odd occasion as a non season ticket holder.

Surely Rotherham were a footballing side who beat us with excellent pass and movement?

From memory they tend to transition from back to front very quickly, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good pass and movement and I'm not saying they're exactly like Wycombe, but I'm sure they play forward quickly and compete for the second ball. We miss a centre back who regularly gets first contact on a direct ball forward and can get it back over the heads of the opposition midfield. Of recent centre backs, Dunkley was unrivalled at that. Obviously at League 1 level you probably then compromise on something else, like being able to play it out. Reports are McNally is a bit of a specimen so hopefully he could be that player.

I wouldn’t underestimate the value of experience, particularly in defenders. Pace isn’t half as useful if the guy you’re running at knows exactly what’s in your head because hundreds of players have tried it on them before. The likes of Jonny Evans are good examples of this in the premier league. 33, susceptible to injuries but he plays at every opportunity and he’s up against players of far greater quality. Leicester are not the same without him. These players get found out on occasions for being a little off the pace but broadly speaking there is far more to football than athleticism and that’s worth having.

I’m not blind to the possible weakness of having someone towards the end of their career in the side but I personally think a fit Mous in game one of the play offs would have improved our chances. He would have seen Ruffles getting run ragged and reined him in or organised us in another way - Atkinson would have done nothing of the sort. Experience is normally the difference between a reactive player and a proactive one.

Depends if he's over the illness that wrecked his 2020-21 season

Ooh that would be ideal. Goode 1.96m. Moore 1.96m. Set pieces. Danger.

Aged 25, captained Northampton and in League 2 TOTY a couple of seasons back.

Charlie Goode on a season long loan please.

I think we are in a decent position. Every one knows what we need...from owners, managers, players - down to the fans. Its physical presence and athleticism. We don't need more quality - we need 3 or 4 more men to sign in order to go in to battle vs other hardened pros.

Having a midfield of Gorrin, McGuane and Brannigan every week will NOT win us the kind of points required to get automatic promotion. Its not the quality its the balance.
Having Taylor upfront leading the line on his own every week will NOT win us points vs hardened pros. He's not the required standard when it comes to defending from the front - great striker mind.

As much as you need pace going forward, the same needs are required at the back.
Dealing with the like of Simms and Yates sharpness proved that.
McNally has pace but like Atkinson he’ll have to stand up and be counted physically.

Last edited:
Just mentioned someone like Charlie Goode would be a good example & would excellent fit for our club, he offers a physical presence, tall lad 6.5ft, got plenty of league experience behind him at a good age of 25 & has a ability of putting a Rory Delap type of long throw in’s into the penalty box which is a bonus
It’s Atkinson that needs replacing, some pace would be useful.
Hopefully we can get a contract sorted for Moore.

All this talk of Shandon coming back on loan, surely Brentford would look at loaning him to a championship club rather than a league 1 club now they are premier league? Also I’m not sure we actually need him.

All this talk of Shandon coming back on loan, surely Brentford would look at loaning him to a championship club rather than a league 1 club now they are premier league? Also I’m not sure we actually need him.
I also don’t know if I would want him
Back he’s to injury prone would he play enough games to warrant a place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom