Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just go and look at Brentford’s departures over the last 5 or 6 seasons and their subsequent league finishes.

Couldn’t be much further from a fact if you tried.
Yep they got 133 million pounds for those players compared to our 10 to 15 million? They then spent money on ready made replacements that meant they not only made money but the club progressed. We on the other hand buy cheap sell cheap and look miles away from being able to gain promotion and stay in the championship

The way I see it is that, Basically, there are two ways of approaching promotion from league one:

1) our approach of bringing players in with the promise of not standing in their way if a suitable offer of an upwards move comes in. This generally involves one or two sales with those funds used to bring in the next prospects.

2) paying enough in fees and wages to attract and keep a top two squad together for two/three years and fending off any bids that come in to maintain consistency.

Personally, I actually favour the first 'selling club' approach as to me this means that we will be there or thereabouts season upon season, and will hopefully be lucky enough to get across the line at some stage, but if not we are an attractive proposition for players coming in as we go again

The second 'showing ambition' route I fear relies heavily on getting up in that first or second season when everyone is on board, as beyond that second summer players will be itching to get away, not signing new deals, and the mood could quickly turn for the worse, which will not only affect the current squad but also put off potential new players who may not want to come into (and potentially be trapped in) an unhappy camp.

I suggest we've got it right, will get up eventually, and when we do, will have a happy camp in which the better players will want to stay for a go at a higher division

I really wish KR didn’t open his mouth with a throw away comment about wanting us to be a top 30 club 🙄 ever since then we haven’t heard the last of it on here & it’s the stick we’ll forever beat him with.

Yep they got 133 million pounds for those players compared to our 10 to 15 million? They then spent money on ready made replacements that meant they not only made money but the club progressed. We on the other hand buy cheap sell cheap and look miles away from being able to gain promotion and stay in the championship
The simple fact is we don’t have players worth £133m - you’re comparing apples and pears. Comparing their resources today vs ours is not a fair fight - but they started somewhere and it was not with £133m in the bank.

One thing you got right is they have bought SOME ready replacements such as Pontus Jansson etc. But they earned the money for those by developing and selling players plucked from relative obscurity like Ollie Watkins or abroad such as Benrahma. We too have recruited established pros like Williams which seems to still upset people and rookies to build up which when sold is panned.

There really is no pleasing some people. We are a baby Brentford - or at least aspiring to be.

The simple fact is we don’t have players worth £133m - you’re comparing apples and pears. Comparing their resources today vs ours is not a fair fight - but they started somewhere and it was not with £133m in the bank.

One thing you got right is they have bought SOME ready replacements such as Pontus Jansson etc. But they earned the money for those by developing and selling players plucked from relative obscurity like Ollie Watkins or abroad such as Benrahma. We too have recruited established pros like Williams which seems to still upset people and rookies to build up which when sold is panned.

There really is no pleasing some people. We are a baby Brentford - or at least aspiring to be.
The players we are selling aren’t going for enough money,it’s just that 1 to 2 million pound every year which means we can’t progress.

The players we are selling aren’t going for enough money,it’s just that 1 to 2 million pound every year which means we can’t progress.
Well is Rob Atkinson really worth any more than that? He’s only played one season in league one and whilst he was very good, you can’t expect him to sell for any more than 2mil. Correct me if I’m wrong but only 7 league one CBs have sold for over 2 million (one of which being rob dickie). I believe owning a player for just over a year and making profit of well over 1mil is good business and will help us move forwards.

I’m afraid nothing is ever worth more than someone is prepared to pay and that’s lots of things not just football. Even so, we have attracted some of the largest fees in the league’s history and still this isn’t enough money in the eyes of some… You’re calling for record breaking fees - so we need record breaking players from somewhere.

I’m afraid nothing is ever worth more than someone is prepared to pay and that’s lots of things not just football. Even so, we have attracted some of the largest fees in the league’s history and still this isn’t enough money in the eyes of some… You’re calling for record breaking fees - so we need record breaking players from somewhere.
Keep the player then,Bristol city don’t want to pay it we don’t sell.

Well is Rob Atkinson really worth any more than that? He’s only played one season in league one and whilst he was very good, you can’t expect him to sell for any more than 2mil. Correct me if I’m wrong but only 7 league one CBs have sold for over 2 million (one of which being rob dickie). I believe owning a player for just over a year and making profit of well over 1mil is good business and will help us move forwards.
We won’t be moving forwards with bids accepted of 1 or 2 million.

Under FFP we're only allowed to spend income that has been generated through player sales, matchday revenue, sponsorship/TV rights or money gifted by the owners.

We don't own the stadium and have had a year without fans, so matchday revenue is even more restricted than normal.

Sponsorship has its own ceiling at this level, and we had no big cup games to add to the TV income.

The owners can afford to gift money in, but have spoken about being sustainable whilst also funding the training ground, youth set up and the preparation work for the new stadium.

So the only way we can compete in the transfer market is by making a big sale each year, and anything around £2m IS a big sale for league 1.

Selling one player and bringing in 3 or 4 more is exactly what this model is about and I'd wait a week or so to see who we bring in before dismissing this as bad business.

So we've replaced two championship-level wingers (Lee & Barker) with two L1 wingers (Williams & Bodin, and that's being generous to Bodin). And now we've lost Ruffels & Atkinson and will have to play Elechi & McNally, or maybe Long & Mous, in their place in the pre-season games. Doesn't look too ambitious to me.

So we've replaced two championship-level wingers (Lee & Barker) with two L1 wingers (Williams & Bodin, and that's being generous to Bodin). And now we've lost Ruffels & Atkinson and will have to play Elechi & McNally, or maybe Long & Mous, in their place in the pre-season games. Doesn't look too ambitious to me.

Lee and Barker, championship level ? You do realise there’s another 61 days left in the transfer window ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom