Transfer targets?

Thank you. But after he said he was settled in the area, was the new contract so uncompetitive. We'll never know the truth.
Maybe I want the best so much I worry we are not going to get as fans what has been mention, in terms of budget, as we have been let down so much in the 35 years I've been following OUFC.
The Everton guy is a great buy, but why so early in business are we bringing in loans and not permanent, if the budget was going to be so competitive? That's my primary concern, not criticism.
Also with a couple of weeks before the serious friendlies start, why do have so many players to bring in? Especially when KR said he wanted business done early.
If there is nobody better available on permanent then you go for loan,surely? If someone of garbutts quality becomes available and be wants to come here then I would be concerned that we were not taking the opportunity to have a championship quality player here even if only a loan, opposed to a league 1 quality lb on a permanent.

The Everton guy is a great buy, but why so early in business are we bringing in loans and not permanent, if the budget was going to be so competitive?.

Because he is of a higher quality than any we can afford to buy, whether it be July or August it doesn't change that. We spend 500k a year renting a stadium to which only about 7/8 thousand people turn up every week. It's very difficult to build a competitive sustainable wage budget after that.

I preface this by saying I have a far from intimate knowledge of player prices, expectations, likelihood of playing in lower leagues.

What would be the attraction for a player like Gabby Agbonlahor? Let go by Villa, keen to keep playing according to a few news articles I've just read. He's the experience in the front 3rd that would be useful to help younger blokes in the squad, and would be very useful in a promotion campaign. Obviously, I think he would demand some big money, but if the pre-season roles on, and no-one goes in for him, would he be a realistic name to consider?

In part, I ask because much has been made in the last 5 pages about permanent signings vs. loan players. To my mind, if a player like this is unattainable for a permanent signing on a free transfer, then I can't quite understand how complaints can be made about loan players within our budget.

You asked for a constructive reply to this, so I'll try to give one.

We all agree that Ricardinho was one of the few positive additions made by Pep last summer. But KR made sure not to trigger his appearances related extension clause towards the end of last season, though still offered him a new contract.

It appears from these indicators that Pep offered quite a high wage, more than could be justified for a 33 year old left back from the Azerbaijani league. Likely the same situation for Pekalski, Mehmeti, and Tiendalli, too.

Yes, he was Player's Player, we all would love to have kept him around, he was impossible not to enjoy in yellow (and as a Brazilian, I assume he enjoyed being in that kit too). But we can't just keep people on at unjustifiable wages, no matter how popular they may be with the fans and squad (even though part of me thinks there is some of that behind Scott Shearer's extension).

And yes, we have already filled that void with a loan. An ex-England U21 player from Everton who turned down Championship clubs to come here. Did you have anyone specific in mind who you'd have preferred?

Thank you. But after he said he was settled in the area, was the new contract so uncompetitive. We'll never know the truth.
Maybe I want the best so much I worry we are not going to get as fans what has been mention, in terms of budget, as we have been let down so much in the 35 years I've been following OUFC.
The Everton guy is a great buy, but why so early in business are we bringing in loans and not permanent, if the budget was going to be so competitive? That's my primary concern, not criticism.
Also with a couple of weeks before the serious friendlies start, why do have so many players to bring in? Especially when KR said he wanted business done early.

Because signings happening in priority order or value order is something that only happens in ur head, not the real world

Loan

Signings

Cost

Money

So do decent permanent signings, and have no asset.

Would be really interesting to know KR’s real thoughts about the transfer dealings, but I guess we’ll never know the full truth.

Come on Sean loans don’t prove anything about budget.

Blackburn were one of the richest clubs in the league last season with the biggest budget. They had 6 loans over the season and signed 4 on free transfers.

Wigan had 7 in on loan over the season and signed 7 on free transfers.

I

Blackburn were one of the richest clubs in the league last season with the biggest budget. They had 6 loans over the season and signed 4 on free transfers.

I didn't realise that about Wigan and Blackburn.
You could probably add Shrewsbury to that.
On that basis it does make you wonder why some Oxford fans are getting so uptight about our two loans to date and talk of a couple more?

I

I didn't realise that about Wigan and Blackburn.
You could probably add Shrewsbury to that.
On that basis it does make you wonder why some Oxford fans are getting so uptight about our two loans to date and talk of a couple more?

Shrewsbury 8 loans over the season 3 free transfers

Rotherham
5 loans 5 free transfers

So do decent permanent signings, and have no asset.

Would be really interesting to know KR’s real thoughts about the transfer dealings, but I guess we’ll never know the full truth.
What do you think KR's real thoughts are? Every time he has spoken he has sounded really positive about the players we are looking to bring in and about using the loan market to our advantage. He hasn't faced an official press conference so if he wasn't happy he could have just kept quiet.

People make assumptions that Tiger has no money and we are looking to do things on the cheap, but do you really think Robinson would have signed up without any clear commitments to compete? How about Shaun Derry? Could have probably walked in to a no.1 position but decided to become a no.2 here. Wouldn't he be looking at budget assurances? Eastwood would have had 5 or 6 decent teams happy to make him an offer that would have at least matched but probably bettered what we could offer. But he chose to stay. Why?

It's easy to plant seeds of doubt, but they go against pretty much everything we have seen in the last 6 months. Christ, even @The Hawk is doing his best to sound positive!!

The Everton guy is a great buy, but why so early in business are we bringing in loans and not permanent, if the budget was going to be so competitive?

I think that's because the earlier you get ANY player (loan or permanent) in so they can go on the pre-season tour, do the fitness work and bond with their team mates, the better. Also, I am sure KR would have wanted to get all of his signings in Ireland - but it is a fact of life that players and their agents will be playing the usual pre-season game of chicken to get the best possible deal. If we are looking at half-way decent players, but only have a 'competitive' as opposed to 'huge' budget, there is going to be competition for every single one of them, and turning down loans of Garbutt and Carruthers quality because we hadn't made all of our perm signings yet would be just daft.

Wonder if we’ll get some names of the trialists today

Yup. “Trialist 1” and “Trialist 2”.

Hopefully some knowledgeable fans at the game, or RadOx will be able to identify them by sight.

Last edited:
KR saying in Ifollow. They expected one more in by last weekend but didn't materialise quick enough. Could happen today or tomorrow (sounds like another loan)

Last edited:
I know I'm being lazy but I couldn't find out easily - anyone know what the options are for the coming friendlies in terms of radox, internet commentary, video etc? Is there anything?

If anyone hasn't seen the iFollow video:

KR says we are still 5-6 players short
Triallists gone back
Rob Hall not playing tonight (swollen knee) - will 'hopefully' be in squad by the start of the season
Was expecting an other loanee by last weekend, still might happen today or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom