Transfer targets?

Anyone have an idea on who the loan is? I suspect after their signing on Saturday, then Robinson was on about pestering Reading for Sam Smith on loan.

I've been relatively relaxed about our progress on the transfer front up to that point - but having seen the new iFollow interview, and the first cracks of frustration coming through KR's usually overwhelmingly positive demeanour the level of concern is starting to grow.

It is evident that our recruitment this summer hasn't quite gone to plan. Whilst this isn't ideal, it's not particularly alarming as we are a League One club without infinite resources. It won't have been a surprise that Ledson needed to be sold, or that Rothwell would look elsewhere, or that Ricardinho was unlikely to accept a contract on (what one presumes are) reduced terms. Whilst we all appreciate KR talking a big game about having a whole squad heading off to Ireland, most of us can probably appreciate that, in the absence of a blank checkbook or multi-billionaire owner bankrolling us, if we want to be ambitious in the quality of player we bring in, is it really a surprise that we are having to wait a little longer? or perhaps miss out on some of our top targets, if other clubs (perhaps with bigger bank balances) are in the market too. Indeed, the QUALITY of business done thus far this summer is pleasing (U23 squad taking shape, Derry - an experienced FL manager - coming on board as an assistant/coach, Eastwood's new deal, Carruthers and Garbutt arriving, even on loan) and probably an indication as to the scope of our aspirations for the season to come.

BUT, the clock is very much ticking now...and the fact that our usually very vocally upbeat manager has let some frustration leak out on an official club press channel is a tad worrying. As is the fact that his mention of 'parent clubs' very much gives the impression that the only deals immediately in the pipeline are more loans. (I'm not on the 'sign everyone permanently bandwagon' - but if five our preferred first eleven are all loans that does leave us extremely vulnerable in January). And looking at the number of genuine first team players we have, the fact that he said 'we need 5 or 6' almost in a wishful tone, rather than a certain/positive/knowing one was also alarming...

(To flip onto a positive end to my post, he did also openly state he expects significant business to be done before the season begins - obvious, but good to hear - and clearly some more movement is expected shortly. At this stage I'm still hopeful that the quality, rather than quantity, of our business done thus far indicates the level of player/ambition we have for the coming season...and that calibre of player takes a little longer to reel in. I'm hopeful that we are deliberately keeping ourselves understated, low key and dignified in the market to avoid being driven up on wages/fees and surprise us with a couple of serious big hitters at this level joining us before we all head up to Barnsley. And desperate to see some movement at the top of the pitch soon, since striking options of Obika, Noel-Williams and James are seriously troubling :))

surely in the modern era where players and especially their Agents call the tune then fees and wages are going to be driven up anyway by supply and demand ?...Nobody is going to allow their Big Hitting client to be obtained on the cheap regardless of keeping low key or not.

surely in the modern era where players and especially their Agents call the tune then fees and wages are going to be driven up anyway by supply and demand ?...Nobody is going to allow their Big Hitting client to be obtained on the cheap regardless of keeping low key or not.

Well, you make a completely valid point. But I was trying to spin a positive from our relative inertia thus far and there’s only so much to work with! Keeping quiet on our goals/finances presumably increases the odds of us not paying over the odds as a club, and our targets being sniped. Maybe?? ?

I've been relatively relaxed about our progress on the transfer front up to that point - but having seen the new iFollow interview, and the first cracks of frustration coming through KR's usually overwhelmingly positive demeanour the level of concern is starting to grow.

It is evident that our recruitment this summer hasn't quite gone to plan. Whilst this isn't ideal, it's not particularly alarming as we are a League One club without infinite resources. It won't have been a surprise that Ledson needed to be sold, or that Rothwell would look elsewhere, or that Ricardinho was unlikely to accept a contract on (what one presumes are) reduced terms. Whilst we all appreciate KR talking a big game about having a whole squad heading off to Ireland, most of us can probably appreciate that, in the absence of a blank checkbook or multi-billionaire owner bankrolling us, if we want to be ambitious in the quality of player we bring in, is it really a surprise that we are having to wait a little longer? or perhaps miss out on some of our top targets, if other clubs (perhaps with bigger bank balances) are in the market too. Indeed, the QUALITY of business done thus far this summer is pleasing (U23 squad taking shape, Derry - an experienced FL manager - coming on board as an assistant/coach, Eastwood's new deal, Carruthers and Garbutt arriving, even on loan) and probably an indication as to the scope of our aspirations for the season to come.

BUT, the clock is very much ticking now...and the fact that our usually very vocally upbeat manager has let some frustration leak out on an official club press channel is a tad worrying. As is the fact that his mention of 'parent clubs' very much gives the impression that the only deals immediately in the pipeline are more loans. (I'm not on the 'sign everyone permanently bandwagon' - but if five our preferred first eleven are all loans that does leave us extremely vulnerable in January). And looking at the number of genuine first team players we have, the fact that he said 'we need 5 or 6' almost in a wishful tone, rather than a certain/positive/knowing one was also alarming...

(To flip onto a positive end to my post, he did also openly state he expects significant business to be done before the season begins - obvious, but good to hear - and clearly some more movement is expected shortly. At this stage I'm still hopeful that the quality, rather than quantity, of our business done thus far indicates the level of player/ambition we have for the coming season...and that calibre of player takes a little longer to reel in. I'm hopeful that we are deliberately keeping ourselves understated, low key and dignified in the market to avoid being driven up on wages/fees and surprise us with a couple of serious big hitters at this level joining us before we all head up to Barnsley. And desperate to see some movement at the top of the pitch soon, since striking options of Obika, Noel-Williams and James are seriously troubling :))
Don't think KR came across as you say at all just a tad frustrated that he couldn't be certain of when and how which is understandable given that nobody knows what is happening in the background. ..

If Noel Williams and James are youth, then they will be in the U23 first, if good enough, way before they find themselves in a potential division one promotion pushing team.

BUT, the clock is very much ticking now...and the fact that our usually very vocally upbeat manager has let some frustration leak out on an official club press channel is a tad worrying. As is the fact that his mention of 'parent clubs' very much gives the impression that the only deals immediately in the pipeline are more loans. (I'm not on the 'sign everyone permanently bandwagon' - but if five our preferred first eleven are all loans that’s does leave us extremely vulnerable in January). And looking at the number of genuine first team players we have, the fact that he said 'we need 5 or 6' almost in a wishful tone, rather than a certain/positive/knowing one was also alarming...

But according to some on here that won’t be a problem as if we are vulnerable and they do end until all leaving we can get more loans.....easy isn’t it.

Don’t worry 3 weeks Saturday start of the season away to Barnsley we will have 5/6 in 24hrs before kick off we will be alright.

On a serious note if KR is sounding frustrated is it Oxford irrespective of Garbutt and Carruthers are we not that much of an attraction, or Tiger is not all what we like to think.

I'm sure the WC has had an effect on premier league clubs doing business. The transfer window closing early is going to make the next month a complete bun fight.

Its quite simple really i believe. Lots of fans, and KR will have expected us to be operating at the level of Peterborough etc, signing Godden, Eisa etc. I know i did.

Despite best intentions, we are not, and our policy is now to find loans.

Nothing wrong with that. But its all about expectation setting.

Its quite simple really i believe. Lots of fans, and KR will have expected us to be operating at the level of Peterborough etc, signing Godden, Eisa etc. I know i did.

No matter who we sign, when we sign them, or how well they play as a team, they will never meet ur expectations.

You know Posh haven't signed Eisa?

Holding my hand up as one of those worried about lack of permanent transfers. As much as I want to be positive and respect Dave T's positivity, We're less than a month away to the start of the season and we're 5 players short.

I am grimly holding on to 'I will wait until the start of the season to judge'.

Although having a pre-season tour '5 or 6' players short of a full squad is far from ideal, and the better incoming players seemingly loanees (not just the ones we have but also the ones we are waiting for) doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Back
Top Bottom