Transfer targets?

According to the League 1 forum we are rumoured to be interested in Jorge Grant.

Nottingham Forest midielder, spent last season on loan at Notts County.

Has a decent record at Notts County and from Banbury. Could be a decent punt.

We've got 2 loan players in and can have up to a maximum of 5 in any one matchday squad. If used well, which it looks like KR is attempting to do, the loan system can prove to be fruitful, but all the talk of players coming in at the moment are loan deals and we all know the risks involved in that and the concern is we are too focused on these deals than bringing in players on permanent deals who will be assets for OUFC with the potential to generate future income. Yes, you can argue we might get a player who we would otherwise have no chance of getting (wages, fees etc), but it just means we have a constantly revolving door of incoming and outgoing players with little or no affinity or connection to the club and its supporters and come January, we're constantly looking over our shoulders wondering if the parent club will ask for a recall.

Worth also considering that it might very well be the best short term solution. We’re that short from two terrible windows last season that the production line stopped. Maybe a season with 4/5 loans that are way beyond our means, gives us the opportunity to sign players like Norman or a few others from u23 sides like we did with branagan and dickie and it gives them a year to break into the team without being reliant on them making an instant impact. In the long term we can rely on a steady stream coming through the u23 so we don’t need the loan system so much, as Coventry proved last season with 9 of the playoff final 11 having come through their academy. But we are starting from scratch with an u23 and the academy is only just starting to really ramp up its efforts. So a season or two with some very decent loans (that will still be massive earners at this level) might be a very good move for the club. I can see us signing a couple more in the style of dickie and branagan, but clubs won’t release or make available those sort of players until they have their own squads in order

Last edited by a moderator:
Work with a Reading fan(Unfortunately) and the Sam Smith rumour is doing the rounds with them now too, so maybe there's some truth in it?

Worth also considering that it might very well be the best short term solution. We’re that short from two terrible windows last season that the production line stopped. Maybe a season with 4/5 loans that are way beyond our means, gives us the opportunity to sign players like Norman or a few others from u23 sides like we did with branagan and dickie and it gives them a year to break into the team without being reliant on them making an instant impact. In the long term we can rely on a steady stream coming through the u23 so we don’t need the loan system so much, as Coventry proved last season with 9 of the playoff final 11 having come through their academy. But we are starting from scratch with an u23 and the academy is only just starting to really ramp up its efforts. So a season or two with some very decent loans (that will still be massive earners at this level) might be a very good move for the club. I can see us signing a couple more in the style of dickie and branagan, but clubs won’t release or make available those sort of players until they have their own squads in order

Oh I completely agree and the hope is that will indeed be the case. Believe it or not, I wasn't being critical of the club. I don't think the mistakes made last season can be underestimated in their knock-on effect to the club. It does appear that the lesson has been learned and a more balanced approach to recruitment has been restored. I don't expect the club to go out and spend several hundred thousand pounds they don't have on a player. As said, Robinson seems to be using the loan system wisely and astutely. I've always said we can only really judge how successful the recruitment stage has been when the window is closed and everything is in place for at least the first six months of the season and even then it may still take an extra window or even two for Robinson to acquire a squad he is truly happy with.

Gotta say I have more than a few reservations and concerns following KR's comments in today's OM, regarding looking for players with the X- FACTOR

IMO this individual has manipulated popular music to suit his own agenda (and boost his sizable bank balance) by imposing insipid 'musical'nonentities on the country for too many years already! (there ARE exciting, proper bands out there, making real music with real instruments, not that the major tv or radio channel content would give any indication of that)..... if that idiot who chooses to hang his trousers off his nipples moves into football god help us all ! .... f**k you and f**k off Simon Cowell!
PROD-MAIN-Simon-Cowell-sticks-the-boot-into-X-Factor-contestants-as-Mr-Nasty-returns.jpg

Someone on the forest forum, has said Grant to us is on the cards. Make of that what ya will.

Potential second triallist spotted on the drone ifollow video around 40 seconds. Running with ball before crossing it. Tied back hair. Resemblance to Freddie Grant and Ben Coker but highly unlikely to be either of them.

Haven’t seen the video but Ricky Holmes has been linked, he has his hair tied back??

According to Sky, Donny have turned down bids of £500k from Aberdeen and £750k from Peterborough for Marquis.

I think that we can forget about him coming.

According to Sky, Donny have turned down bids of £500k from Aberdeen and £750k from Peterborough for Marquis.

I think that we can forget about him coming.
Peterborough are making £3/4 Million offers???

They are selling Madison. I guess they will get a significant amount for him
There not getting much more then we got for Ledson. They're getting just over 1million for him.

There not getting much more then we got for Ledson. They're getting just over 1million for him.
There about to sell Marriot as well they have a lot of money to spend, on top of the money they always spend anyway.

The way we are avoiding permanent signings at the moment with more likely to come in, I think if Luton go in for him, we couldn't compete with them financially.

I'm sorry it doesn't add up. If the budget KR was promised was that competitive, then surely we could afford to get permanent players in, rather than looking over our shoulder every few months for a recall of a player.

Back
Top Bottom