The next eight games.....

Fair to say that this has all worked out exactly how I hoped it would at the time I started this thread!

We've had a bit of luck over the past half dozen games.....but then I think you could argue that we had no luck at all over the first dozen games of the season, so all in all it's evened itself out. After 40 games, our current position is fair - we're a lower mid table club (who's actually now in the top half because there's so many mediocre-to-poor teams in League One this year).

It's on KR now - got to do a better job with the summer transfer window this year. If he does, we could dream of at least competing for the top six next season.

Fair to say that this has all worked out exactly how I hoped it would at the time I started this thread!

We've had a bit of luck over the past half dozen games.....but then I think you could argue that we had no luck at all over the first dozen games of the season, so all in all it's evened itself out. After 40 games, our current position is fair - we're a lower mid table club (who's actually now in the top half because there's so many mediocre-to-poor teams in League One this year).

It's on KR now - got to do a better job with the summer transfer window this year. If he does, we could dream of at least competing for the top six next season.

To be fair, last summer was one heck of a rebuild job from Clotet.

This summer, we'll retain most of the squad that are performing for us now. Last summer we needed to replace most of the squad. This time around we should only need 6-7 additions.

This summer, we'll retain most of the squad that are performing for us now. Last summer we needed to replace most of the squad. This time around we should only need 6-7 additions.
Kashi and Graham should be snapped up as soon as possible. Then a good striker and centre back need to be identified and signed early. Watching the EFL trophy final, Pompey are being totally swamped but Christian Burgess is having a decent game. I’ve always rated him but interesting to hear he was out of favour until an injury to the fist choice centreback. Maybe he’d be available? As for Bogle up front, it’s been a bit like watching Obika play....

7 of yesterdays starting 11 were here last season.

I feel uneasy when people say we are safe. We are certainly NOT safe and I would not want any of that complacency to filter down to the players. All it takes is a couple of defeats and wins for the teams below us for us to be right in the mire again. Two wins and I’ll feel more comfortable, especially if they come at the expense of our rivals below us.

I feel uneasy when people say we are safe. We are certainly NOT safe and I would not want any of that complacency to filter down to the players. All it takes is a couple of defeats and wins for the teams below us for us to be right in the mire again. Two wins and I’ll feel more comfortable, especially if they come at the expense of our rivals below us.

Again, we all know the magic number is 50 so I’m sure nobody really believes until it’s mathematically sure! Stop worrying for worrying sake! Get a grip ?

Two draws and we would be safe. With 8 clubs in between us and the last relegation spot it would take nine very mundane teams to all improve at the same time, despite the fact that they will be playing each other and dropping points, and more importantly also be playing the better teams in the division, the teams going for promotion are not all going to start losing to the dross below us.

Last season the amount to stay up got overstated, it’s nearly always 50 (or less), it will be very close to that this time.

7 of yesterdays starting 11 were here last season.

6 of the matchday 18 against Wycombe were in our squad when we played Scunthorpe at the end of March last year. Add in Nelson who was injured, that makes 7.

I'm not saying we didn't have some good players at the start of the season, but we did require multiple reinforcements in just about every position.

51 points is the most any team have achieved and still been relegated from league one which was Torquay in 04/05. A couple have had 50 but mostly around 48/49.

One point will probably be enough.
One win will be 99% certainly enough.
No way do we need 2 more wins. 19 times out of 20 ,50 points is enough.

And don’t forget some of the teams below us have to play each other so points still to be dropped

Kashi and Graham should be snapped up as soon as possible. Then a good striker and centre back need to be identified and signed early. Watching the EFL trophy final, Pompey are being totally swamped but Christian Burgess is having a decent game. I’ve always rated him but interesting to hear he was out of favour until an injury to the fist choice centreback. Maybe he’d be available? As for Bogle up front, it’s been a bit like watching Obika play....
Burgess is a very good centre back ideal replacement for Nelson if he goes

I think that's a bit generous towards KR.

Of the side that's performing now, seven of them (the entire back five, plus Brannagan & Henry) are holdovers from last year.

Going into last summer, there was a decent spine there to build around, but too many of his summer signings either weren't good enough (Smith, Garbutt, Norman, arguably McMahon, jury's still out on Hanson) or weren't fit (Holmes, Carruthers - although that was unfortunate).

Of 10 first team signings last summer, I'd say only two (Mackie, Whyte) were definite successes, and one (Browne) was OK.

That's not a good enough hit rate. Must do better!

I think that's a bit generous towards KR.

Of the side that's performing now, seven of them (the entire back five, plus Brannagan & Henry) are holdovers from last year.

Going into last summer, there was a decent spine there to build around, but too many of his summer signings either weren't good enough (Smith, Garbutt, Norman, arguably McMahon, jury's still out on Hanson) or weren't fit (Holmes, Carruthers - although that was unfortunate).

Of 10 first team signings last summer, I'd say only two (Mackie, Whyte) were definite successes, and one (Browne) was OK.

That's not a good enough hit rate. Must do better!

Doesn't negate the fact that he had to try and recruit so many players to fill starting XI positions.

Of 'the entire back 5', neither Long or Ruffels were expected to end up being first choice full backs.

I'm not saying recruitment was up to scratch last year. I am saying that the lessons have hopefully been learnt. And only needing to fill a handful of squad positions should mean less names on the shortlist. Meaning the time, energy and funds should definitely end up being better spent this summer - you'd hope.

Back
Top Bottom