Ex-Staff Karl Robinson

Jim Smith used to get decent players sent to him because he was very popular in the game.
Not remotely comparable.

One got players he felt were going to be too good for us (even if they rarely were) and the other handed out professional contracts to players not remotely worthy, at the club’s expense, in return for personal collateral.

What were my words??? I just looked back through this thread. Nada

Indeed. It was a different thread.

You made an heartfelt* plea for more understanding and a more caring environment on the forum in some other thread**

* I still harbour the hope that irony was present but we engaged in a cheery exchange, which is no thing at which to be sniffed

** It could have been some other poster, but it wasn't. Or was it.

Robinson used to work with Big Sam didn't he at Blackburn was it? We know in football previous relationships count for a lot.

Especially when that involves signing on someone’s grandson, where is little Sam Allardyce playing now?

Not remotely comparable.

One got players he felt were going to be too good for us (even if they rarely were) and the other handed out professional contracts to players not remotely worthy, at the club’s expense, in return for personal collateral.
I’d say both these describe KR to a tee.

Any comparison with the legendary Jim Smith is simply incomparable!

Following their implosion last night and given the fact that KR is establishing himself up there in the vicinity, I can see him in charge of Sheffield Wednesday next season…
They are skint, in a decrepit stadium, have an huge wage bill and need a manager to get them up. Robinson is the last person they need.

Robinson used to work with Big Sam didn't he at Blackburn was it? We know in football previous relationships count for a lot.
They probably have nasty secrets that they don’t want to come to light. So you pat my back and I’ll pay yours.

I’d say both these describe KR to a tee.

Any comparison with the legendary Jim Smith is simply incomparable!
Fair enough. What I was trying to say (not very well) is that all managers have mates in the game. JS always used his contacts for the benefit of the club. Unlike KR.

Following their implosion last night and given the fact that KR is establishing himself up there in the vicinity, I can see him in charge of Sheffield Wednesday next season…
As a resident of Sheffield and knowing several Wednesday fans and their personalities, I can't see the appointment of a wide boy like Robbo with a recent history of blowing it on the big stage going down too well.

A return to MKDons is his most likely destination. Knows the club, the area and very little pressure to pull up any trees.

A return to MKDons is his most likely destination. Knows the club, the area and very little pressure to pull up any trees.
Add in the fact their fans still love him it would be the best move for him. Having said that, he might not want to in and around MK now due to his marriage break down.

Add in the fact their fans still love him it would be the best move for him. Having said that, he might not want to in and around MK now due to his marriage break down.

I would guess his ex wife will be heading back north west. I read an article a few years ago where she was saying how unsettling and insecure it can be married to someone in football. Don’t think she’s in MK by choice, put it that way.

Not defending KRout here but I don’t think we can cry about nepotism. It’s not about hiring someone you know is crap but is a friend or family member, it’s just not giving anyone else a chance to get the job whom may be just as good or better, because you favoured your friend. This happens everywhere in football. I didn’t see any advertisement or interview process for Manning assistant job that his mate Hogg gof and that’s just the same as what Alladyce has done

Not defending KRout here but I don’t think we can cry about nepotism. It’s not about hiring someone you know is crap but is a friend or family member, it’s just not giving anyone else a chance to get the job whom may be just as good or better, because you favoured your friend. This happens everywhere in football. I didn’t see any advertisement or interview process for Manning assistant job that his mate Hogg gof and that’s just the same as what Alladyce has done
The difference is that Manning has always worked with Hogg and has done recently with some success. Robinson has undoubtedly kept in favour with Allardyce by giving his grandson a contract here. This was a guy who had been released from the youth team of a club in shambles and was clearly never anywhere near the standard we needed yet we spent a year paying him so Robinson could stay pally with someone in the game.

No doubt nepotism exists but as a fan I don't know why you wouldn't be at least a little bit upset or angry that our money has been spared up the wall purely for the benefit of the man in charge and to the detriment of the club (see also Yoav Sade, who's suddenly been released having been given new contracts under Robinson, despite not even being registered for the squad when we had several spaces spare and being too old to play otherwise).

Asked whether he feels last summer's player recruitment strategy was unsuccessful, U’s chairman Grant Ferguson said: “I think anyone who’s looking at it with hindsight would come to that conclusion."

“What I would say is that it wasn’t poor planning, it was an evolving situation over whether our main striker target still wanted to be a professional footballer or whether he wanted to run a chicken shop."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom