The Euros. How will England do?

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
England were the 8th most skilful side at the 2018 WC, only got to the semi-final due to an easyish draw. Played off the park by Belgium. If Kane was playing for Man City the goals and assists would be spread around more.
If Kane was playing for Man City with their creative players I’d like to think he would get at least 40+ goals across all competitions in a season easy your on a wind up

Is that the same Gareth bale that hasn’t really made any impact in the last two seasons who it is believed will also be retiring in the summer where as Kane is reaching his peak
didn't watch much of Bale between 2011 and 2016?

If Kane was playing for Man City with their creative players I’d like to think he would get at least 40+ goals across all competitions in a season easy your on a wind up
it depends on how he would settle into the squad and how they would play, it would take time for him to become the main man at City, it's possible, yeah, but unlikely. he'd have a better chance of doing that at Real Madrid, Benzema is 34 soon, granted he might be one of these who is able to be very good at 36, so we'll see. Benzema has become the main man at Madrid now, just in case you didn't know.

it depends on how he would settle into the squad and how they would play, it would take time for him to become the main man at City, it's possible, yeah, but unlikely. he'd have a better chance of doing that at Real Madrid, Benzema is 34 soon, granted he might be one of these who is able to be very good at 36, so we'll see. Benzema has become the main man at Madrid now, just in case you didn't know.
Quite aware who benzema is and to be honest very good player but he’s been second to Ronaldo until he left for juve and benzema hasn’t got much competition nowadays but one thing I do know is that Harry Kane is world class he would slot into most teams and a team like Man City even Real Madrid would be very happy to have him

Looking specifically at the knockout games at the Euros and bearing in mind that the tournament didn't really expand until the 1980s and 1990s, England have won only one match outside of a group stage without needing penalties since the first iteration of the tournament in 1960. That was a third place playoff against the USSR in 1968. The game against Spain in 1996 was their only other win in the knockout stage of the Euros.
😳 I've set my expectations accordingly.

Quite aware who benzema is and to be honest very good player but he’s been second to Ronaldo until he left for juve and benzema hasn’t got much competition nowadays but one thing I do know is that Harry Kane is world class he would slot into most teams and a team like Man City even Real Madrid would be very happy to have him
millions know who Benzema is, but how many have watched Madrid play this year, and how the team has changed since Cristiano went to Juve. I don't know everything, but just to say i subscribe to La Liga TV, am a Real Madrid member and I'm sitting here with an extra large mouse pad under this keyboard, with Real Madrid in large letters written on it. And to add, I've been in favour of an European Super League for decades, a large one with about 50 teams in, conferences based on geography.

Real Madrid won't be able to afford him unless the ex ESL clubs suddenly decide to pay the supposed ESL fines.

😳 I've set my expectations accordingly.

You’d be wise to. Since the introduction of group stages when the tournament expanded to 8 teams in 1980 (expanded further to 16 teams in 1996), England have failed to get out of the group stage in four of the eight times that they have qualified for the finals. 50% failure rate!

Outside of Euro 1996, England are far from an effective European Championship side.

Whenever I hear Scots and others talk, they go on about how us English always think we are going to walk it and we are arrogant etc. Reality is I don't know one person who thinks we will win it which was the same at previous tournaments. Most people are quite negative about our chances.

Yes football is coming home was sang at the last World cup which others thought was arrogant but the reality was it was sang in humour at ourselves.

In addition during the Romania game the commentator said that Hagi i think was saying that Romania would really want to win due to the prestige of beating England. When will the rest of world realise there is no prestige to beating England!

Whenever I hear Scots and others talk, they go on about how us English always think we are going to walk it and we are arrogant etc. Reality is I don't know one person who thinks we will win it which was the same at previous tournaments. Most people are quite negative about our chances.

Yes football is coming home was sang at the last World cup which others thought was arrogant but the reality was it was sang in humour at ourselves.

In addition during the Romania game the commentator said that Hagi i think was saying that Romania would really want to win due to the prestige of beating England. When will the rest of world realise there is no prestige to beating England!
We are the Spurs of international football. Big side who won the title in the 60s but not much since. Expected to be in the top 10 in competitions, but barring the occasional run mostly flatter to deceive. Still seen as a scalp to take however.

We are the Spurs of international football. Big side who won the title in the 60s but not much since. Expected to be in the top 10 in competitions, but barring the occasional run mostly flatter to deceive. Still seen as a scalp to take however.
Honestly, I have no idea why other countries would still consider us a big scalp but there you go.

What a terrible thing to say.

(Regardless of how logically argued your point is)

Honestly, I have no idea why other countries would still consider us a big scalp but there you go.

Probably because England's team's achieved next to nothing and their supporters (and press) act like they're too big for this league. Like S**derland or Pompey.

millions know who Benzema is, but how many have watched Madrid play this year, and how the team has changed since Cristiano went to Juve. I don't know everything, but just to say i subscribe to La Liga TV, am a Real Madrid member and I'm sitting here with an extra large mouse pad under this keyboard, with Real Madrid in large letters written on it. And to add, I've been in favour of an European Super League for decades, a large one with about 50 teams in, conferences based on geography.
I thought you were just some rugby troll. What was the last United game you saw?

Probably because England's team's achieved next to nothing and their supporters (and press) act like they're too big for this league. Like S**derland or Pompey.
The point is most England supporters don't think we are too big for this league. Most people I know think we have no chance, this is the general impression i get when reading comments on newspaper articles too and this has been the view for years.

Ha, aren't we more like Preston or Burnley, good in the 1890s?

Dunno, I think the good in 60s might be spot on considering that was the last time we won anything.

You have to be lucky to be successful at international football, to get a good first eleven is not like club football, you could be undone by having a generation with class attacking players but very poor defenders or vice versa and no transfer market to do anything about it.

We will never be a dominant nation but it might all come together one time and we get to party and talk about it all the time to wind the bitter little celts we have to share this island with.

Back
Top Bottom