Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
India did bowl well from what I saw, but the technique and mentality from some of the batsmen leaves a lot to be desired. Same poop, different test

India did bowl well from what I saw, but the technique and mentality from some of the batsmen leaves a lot to be desired. Same poop, different test

To be fair, we actually declared in the last Test!

To be fair, we actually declared in the last Test!
Woakes and Bairstow largely provided the ballast for that win didn't they? And some friendly conditions for England bowl in. I worry that new batsmen that come in to the team are just chairs we are shuffling around on the deck of the test match titanic batting order.

It's basics. If you can't catch more reliably than this, you won't win test matches consistently.

This Indian innings is just prolonging the agony - and this is only day three! They could bat for another day, get a lead of 600 and still have a day and a half to bowl us out. We're doomed. Still at least it will make the rest of the series more interesting (looking on the bright side there!).

Even if we lose it would be good to see some if the batsman at the Top of the order show some application.
My suspicion is that we will be all out for under 300 (probably well under) and be hammered.
There are some real weaknesses in the side and with Cook and Broad near the end (closely followed by Jimmy) we will have a pretty weak side.

I'd be surprised if we get 200. When the pressure is on, the batsmen disappear. With the Bairstow injury, something will need to happen for the series

In the seven Tests since the Ashes* in English conditions (because let's be honest, New Zealand is the one other country that offers English conditions), we haven't passed 400 once.

When we do win, it seems like it's always 'Bowl the opposition out cheaply twice, then get just enough runs - mostly from the middle & lower order'.

This England team is still lacking a reliable top order, and isn't going to win consistently until we find one.....
(......he says, hoping to put the reverse mockers on them for this rearguard effort......)

*we actually did pass 400 a couple of times in the Ashes....but still got hammered there, because our bowlers aren't suited to getting anybody out in anything other than English conditions. The second thing we're going to need to find to build a decent Test team.

Hey, isn't this just what you wanted Tony? None of that 'winning easy' nonsense ?

Before lunch, or after lunch, that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The edges and bowled of outrageous batting
Or to take arms against a sea of good bowling
And by opposing end them. To die—to be home for tea
No more; and by a sleep England collapsed again

England (And many Test teams) seem to have no inclination at all to make a fight of it.
Is this the side effect of twenty twenty?

England (And many Test teams) seem to have no inclination at all to make a fight of it.
And poor mindset and poor technique. Why are batsmen playing balls that will bounce over the stumps? It's just dumb cricket.

I think it has an effect. But the Indians have batted in a 'test like' manner this match.
All the wickets to fall this morning have been balls they did not have to play at. The situation is that we have to save the game and we have been hopeless at that for a while now. Cook and Root are the only patient batsman in the side but even they have been failing. There will have to be some changes to the top order and Broad should be given a rest.

Sadly the lure of filthy lucre from Indian t20 league has impacted on the purest form of the game test cricket ..... money over proper cricket seems English cricket players motivation .... yet other nations often put out half decent test teams, unlike England ......selecters have to shoulder some of the blame too, thier choices rarely deliver anything much like test cricket....hey ho

The English test team is a funny thing. When the bowling works (ie English conditions, catches held) it looks pretty formidable. But as soon as the opposition makes a half way decent score and conditions are less than perfect, the batting - especially the top order - fails more times than it succeeds, and then the bowling looks toothless. And yes, I think T20 and one day cricket has had an effect. Players are conditioned to try to score off anything that gives them a bit of room - you do that in test cricket (especially early in your innings) and you have to hope luck is on your side.

Still, Buttler and Stokes have at least shown a bit of fighting spirit (perhaps an unfortunate turn of phrase in the latter's case!). We won't save the game though, it was lost 2 days ago.

The 2 most attacking and dynamic one day players in England are the ones that so far, have shown good judgement and temperament. Very England and the test team.

Hey, isn't this just what you wanted Tony? None of that 'winning easy' nonsense ?

Losing easy was not exactly my preferred alternative!

Stokes and Buttler have done well, but again - I don't think that the middle order was our worry; with those two, Bairstow and Woakes (plus Rashid, or maybe Moeen if his county form gets rewarded with a recall) we're well set from 5-9.

But the Top 4? In the twelve innings we've had since the Ashes, we've lost our 4th wicket with the score on 100 or less a ridiculous eight times.

You can't score the runs you need to be an effective team in Test cricket on a regular basis if your top order can't score. And we've not been able to find a new top order batsman that can hack it for, what, five years?

It's infuriating, but you can't solely blame the rise of t20. Other countries have still managed to unearth talent in recent years. Our county system doesn't seem to have done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom