Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as far as test series are concerned, allowing the away team to decide whether to bat or bowl first would help.

You would still have the disparity in conditions (not much that can be done about that I guess) and the different ball (which IMO is completely daft). But I still think that the lack of pre-test tour matches is a huge factor. India are supposed to be the best test team in the world but look how they are doing! As well as the hugely England-friendly conditions, India are suffering from not having (in some cases any) experience in playing in this country.

Weird to say it, but I'm actually slightly disappointed by the result at Lords.

After Edgbaston, it looked like we might have a belter of a series on our hands. Not so much now. Unless some of the Indian batsmen, other than Kohli, step up then it's going to get very one-sided.

We've clearly still got some massive question marks surrounding our batting - but it is at least deep, and we only need a couple of batsmen to fire to post scores that currently look miles out of reach to this Indian team.

Weird to say it, but I'm actually slightly disappointed by the result at Lords

I'm not disappointed by the result, but am disappointed that it wasn't a hell of a lot of a closer contest (which is actually what I think you are saying!). You are right, after the first match it looked like we had some good tests to look forward to - now, not so much.

I'm not disappointed by the result, but am disappointed that it wasn't a hell of a lot of a closer contest (which is actually what I think you are saying!). You are right, after the first match it looked like we had some good tests to look forward to - now, not so much.

Well yes, OK, I could probably have phrased that better.

The result I was disappointed by was not 'England win' but 'England win by an innings and 159 runs'

It's always fun on the rare occasions when we crush the Aussies. Against everyone else, I'd rather watch us come out on top of a close contest.

The Kohli run out of Pujara in the first innings set a rather sloppy tone for India. Playing the 2nd spinner was an odd choice considering the weather forecast was so bad. Perhaps a 4 test series with an extra prep game would have given them a better chance.

I am not sure that it is doing England much good in the long term.
So Anderson Broad and Woakes plus Curran can bowl well in England.
But other than Jimmy who will bowl well in Sri Lanka.
And who will bat all day (as Cook seems to be less and less consistent)

I am not sure that it is doing England much good in the long term.
So Anderson Broad and Woakes plus Curran can bowl well in England.
But other than Jimmy who will bowl well in Sri Lanka.
And who will bat all day (as Cook seems to be less and less consistent)

Woakes will bat all day. :geek:

Stokes found not guilty! Still doesn’t play the 3rd Test though…

Stokes found not guilty! Still doesn’t play the 3rd Test though…
I think that is fair enough.

Considering the tone of the reporting by the BBC, among others, they portrayed the case as a slam dunk and a pending jail term.

Some of headline writers in all the media really should be eating a bit of humble pie for the sensationalist headlines of this case.

Some of headline writers in all the media really should be eating a bit of humble pie for the sensationalist headlines of this case.
It was concerning to read some of the case, but as I got into the detail, I realised the most salacious headlines were reporting the prosecution side of the case and not exactly course correcting the other side.

However. Stokes was a naughty boy who was lucky that it wasn't worse. If the ECB choose to punish him further, I'm not against it. But on a professional level, missing the Ashes and seeing team mates take that level of beating would have been punishment enough in my eyes.

It was concerning to read some of the case, but as I got into the detail, I realised the most salacious headlines were reporting the prosecution side of the case and not exactly course correcting the other side.

However. Stokes was a naughty boy who was lucky that it wasn't worse. If the ECB choose to punish him further, I'm not against it. But on a professional level, missing the Ashes and seeing team mates take that level of beating would have been punishment enough in my eyes.

Missing THAT Ashes series was a reward rather than a punishment!

From the reporting it would appear he was lucky. But he had 2 men coming at him with weapons, what is constituted as reasonable force becomes a very grey area. Lets not forget that the other 2 who approached him armed also got found not guilty could therefore consider themselves very, very lucky if Stokes is lucky.

I kind of hope the Jury subconsciously or consciously thought you went in armed in a 2 to 1, who was unarmed, situation and tough s**t got battered so get over it.

How the majority of the media tried to paint them as victims was a bit of a joke tbh. None of them come out with any credit has to be said but the reporting was one sided in the main.

From the reporting it would appear he was lucky. But he had 2 men coming at him with weapons, what is constituted as reasonable force becomes a very grey area. Lets not forget that the other 2 who approached him armed also got found not guilty could therefore consider themselves very, very lucky if Stokes is lucky.

I kind of hope the Jury subconsciously or consciously thought you went in armed in a 2 to 1, who was unarmed, situation and tough s**t got battered so get over it.

How the majority of the media tried to paint them as victims was a bit of a joke tbh. None of them come out with any credit has to be said but the reporting was one sided in the main.
All 3 of the idiots that ended up in court should consider themselves lucky the case was so flimsy and there were no more CCTV cameras pointing at the area. All as a bull headed as the other - the only victims were the ones who weren't called as witnesses - and an advert for avoiding the last shot of whatever before going home.

Feel sorry for Sam Curran. Not sure Stokes should have walked straight back in. Curran offers something different being a left armer who can swing it. Got us out of a massive hole at Birmingham as well. Is Buttler really worth his place coming in as a batsman at 7?

Stokes was always going to come straight back in. Woakes made himself undroppable so it was always going to be Curran. Remember Stokes is a different type bowler to what we have already and bowled a match winning spell in the Indian 2nd innings of the 1st test. Also, he will strengthen the batting line up.

Appears harsh undoubtedly on Curran but entirely predictable and probably the right decision. Curran's time will come. The one who needs now to up his performance batting wise is Buttler who could be at risk if they decide on an extra bowler who can bat a bit.

Not a surprise.
When they scored over 300 my first reaction was that we should easily get those but I really wouldn't bet on it.
Our batting has been shocking for a while we normally rely on a lower order recovery but that can't always happen.
Questions about Cook Jennings Again (And good luck to Pope but he needs runs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom