Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Cyprus so just seen this thread.

You do realise that the rule of "To play for Yorkshire you have to born there"
Doesn't exist anymore ?

Michael Vaughan is a Lancastrian (well in my eyes anyway)

Born in Manchester a stone's throw from Old Trafford.

Yup. Traitorous dog.

Let's hope that Pope gets a few.

Pope and Root as the Medium term English batsmen of class (He says before Pope has even got a 50)

Doesn't exist anymore ?

Yeah. As you say, it was Vaughan playing in Sheffield league cricket that finally got them to lurch into the 20th Century at the end of it and accept the Yorkshire born thing was silly. It does show a certain intransigent mentality in a club though!

Doesn't exist anymore ?

Very true indeed although well over 50% of players st

Bairstow the first man to reach 30 in the match!

I thought that it could be a cracking series but it now could be quite one sided.
Is it a new thing where home teams so often win home series?

I thought that it could be a cracking series but it now could be quite one sided.
Is it a new thing where home teams so often win home series?
Nope. And for quite some time. Because Sky's coverage keep on banging on about it every chance they get

It has become increasingly difficult to win an 'away' test series in recent times. It doesn't help that there are (at least) three very different balls in use in different parts of the world, that the increased demands on players time for ODIs, 20Twenty internationals and various IPL/Big Bash cashfests mean that there are less 'tour' matches played before test series and that the groundsmen in every case will try to prepare pitches that are weighted towards the specialities of the home team.

Ashwin commented recently how much he enjoys bowling with the Duke ball because it both spins off the pitch and moves in the air. How many sub continent games would be more even between bat and ball if a standard was created for cricket balls?

Ashwin commented recently how much he enjoys bowling with the Duke ball because it both spins off the pitch and moves in the air. How many sub continent games would be more even between bat and ball if a standard was created for cricket balls?

Ashwin was right. That Duke ball moves great in the air. Especially when Woakes walloped him over cow corner.

It has become increasingly difficult to win an 'away' test series in recent times. It doesn't help that there are (at least) three very different balls in use in different parts of the world, that the increased demands on players time for ODIs, 20Twenty internationals and various IPL/Big Bash cashfests mean that there are less 'tour' matches played before test series and that the groundsmen in every case will try to prepare pitches that are weighted towards the specialities of the home team.
What about letting the away side decide whether they want to bat or bowl for every Test?
And let the away side choose the ball to be used in the series?

Well Stuart Broad is enjoying himself. Curran is bowling well without much luck.

What about letting the away side decide whether they want to bat or bowl for every Test?
And let the away side choose the ball to be used in the series?

Yes. Mikey Holding was arguing for doing away with the toss entirely - just let the away captain choose. I’d be happy with that.

Yes. Mikey Holding was arguing for doing away with the toss entirely - just let the away captain choose. I’d be happy with that.
This is what they do in division 1 of the championship now. Virtually nobody wins away in tests now so why not do that it might make for better matches. Great result for England and hopefully a bit of a Lords hoodoo sorted . I can’t see anything other than 4or 5-0 here. Not a ball of spin from England either.

This is what they do in division 1 of the championship now. Virtually nobody wins away in tests now so why not do that it might make for better matches. Great result for England and hopefully a bit of a Lords hoodoo sorted . I can’t see anything other than 4or 5-0 here. Not a ball of spin from England either.

Not quite. Apparently the away captain can bowl if they want, but if they want to bat they have to toss for it. Very strange halfway house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom