Sunderland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland, Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers, Luton can all claim to be bigger than arrive games but hardly games to drop everything for. We had a good push for Boxing Day and another for Sunderland. We will probably see similar things for Wycombe at the end of March and Charlton at Easter. I would read too much into it being Sunderland, and it really isn't anything to do with Charlie!

Sunderland fan here, bit harsh on us this thread mind!

I wouldn't read too much into the home boos on Sunderland 'til I Die, the editing on the whole thing is a bit loose to build a narrative for the season. It's not far off, but by the time you're in your sixth relegation battle in a row, after already being relegated, apathy reigns more than anything else. That wouldn't make for a good documentary though would it.

Anyway I only really wanted to ask what's the crack with you lot and Methven? Doesn't seem to be a lot of love for him on here.

I am surprised that we WILL get 10k. We are fourth from bottom in League 1.
Why would people particularly want to go and see Sunderland?

Majority of the crowd on Saturday won’t have been born when Sunderland last won a major trophy, they are a well supported club but without premier league status giving them extra kudos that’s all they really are. I am 40 and they have never been a big club in my lifetime, so if we hit 10,000 I will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh my god, you didn't just ask that! Tin hats at the ready...

I was sceptical of Donald and Methven's intentions when they came in. Some of the ideas Donald floats seem a bit out there, but on the whole they're doing exactly the job we needed them to do. How far it'll go, who knows.

I know there's a bit of history there in that they wanted to buy Oxford a while back, but past that I'm just nosey to find out why Methven and not so much Donald, seemingly, seems to have rubbed people up the wrong way.

Anyway I only really wanted to ask what's the crack with you lot and Methven? Doesn't seem to be a lot of love for him on here.

I don’t know Methven so I can’t offer much but I’d say this about him, nothing he’s ever written on here has ever made me regret that situation.

I assume you mean Charliesghost? The Eton educated, red courderoy wearing ex-journalist who bet on his boyhood team to be relegated? That Methven?

In all seriousness I actually quite liked a fair bit of what he posted on here (I’m assuming you can probably search and find it). I think largely his critical opinion of the running of OUFC was fair, however, the way he insulted posters on here wasn’t.

I think his general attitude and way he responded to people who questioned his views is what upset most on here.

I assume you mean Charliesghost? The Eton educated, red courderoy wearing ex-journalist who bet on his boyhood team to be relegated? That Methven?

In all seriousness I actually quite liked a fair bit of what he posted on here (I’m assuming you can probably search and find it). I think largely his critical opinion of the running of OUFC was fair, however, the way he insulted posters on here wasn’t.

I think his general attitude and way he responded to people who questioned his views is what upset most on here.
Ah right. Doesn't sound good from the supposed PR expert.

Hope it's a decent game come Saturday in any case. We've not been all that great recently, riding our luck, relying on individual moments, but seem to keep within touching distance of that top two. Could do with the points though ;)

And choose not too fill it when Oxford play there ... but when a bunch of makems visit they move heaven, hell and their own st holders to accomadate. Petty, niggly,tinpot outfit ww are
And they tell us TVP said we can’t have any more tickets the TVP say we didn’t say that.....bloody Pikeys

Don’t forget calling people who didn’t agree with him ‘moonshiners’

For a successful businessman he really did act like a petulant child at times.

Don’t forget calling people who didn’t agree with him ‘moonshiners’

For a successful businessman he really did act like a petulant child at times.
I met him in a pub after the Sunderland game earlier this season. He is a man with strong opinions alongside which sits the arrogance/confidence of a public school-educated PR man. His biggest mistake was to be totally dismissive of views that weren’t akin to his own.

It's not like we are playing Swindon or anything. A big game yes, but not a top tier one.
Sounds about
It’s a more interesting game than most this season but there’s hardly been a huge scramble for tickets here.

Donald and Methven are known to the collective loons on here, but to Mr & Mrs Average Oxford-Fan, they barely register in their consciousness, if at all.
Ticket sales only matched 5 times in 9 years. What constitutes a scramble for tickets?

Who cares how many people turn up? It’s the points we want. As for Sunderland fans, there’s a fine line between being dedicated and having too much time on their hands

I was sceptical of Donald and Methven's intentions when they came in. Some of the ideas Donald floats seem a bit out there, but on the whole they're doing exactly the job we needed them to do. How far it'll go, who knows.

I know there's a bit of history there in that they wanted to buy Oxford a while back, but past that I'm just nosey to find out why Methven and not so much Donald, seemingly, seems to have rubbed people up the wrong way.

Methven is a c**t. Simple as. If he was any further up his own a**e he would see the back of his own eyeballs. Oh.......... and he`s a "PR Guru" whatever that is.

Who cares how many people turn up? It’s the points we want. As for Sunderland fans, there’s a fine line between being dedicated and having too much time on their hands
Yes - we tend to be a bit obsessed. Good fun mind! Not too much time, it's how we decide to spend it. You brought quite a few up to Sunderland so seem to have similar mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom