Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would make sense to free up huge wages. I echo people’s comments above, when was the last time he had a good game? Perhaps the right time for both parties to move on.

He was fantastic a season or so ago, perhaps he needs a move to re capture the ability he clearly has.

Not ITK but someone has told me £3m is the bid! If so we cash in surely?

I love Cam Bran, and think that he is the sort of player that we could continue to build around for the next 5 years or more. But THREE MILLION POUNDS STERLING? Yes we'd cash in!! If we got half of that then I'd consider it a bloody good job by the club.

Yeah anything north of £1m plus a kicker if they got to the Prem which looks more than doable for them this year and I'd say we take it and move the club on. It's a step closer to getting the wage bill back in check and also rids us of a slight headache as to whether we can continue to play him when he's clearly a fraction of himself. I wouldn't change a thing about keeping him last season. Although he wasn't great and the contract was a financial madness, with the summer we'd had until then and the state of the squad, I think we'd have gone down without him. In fact, I'm sure of it. So with hindsight maybe that was money we had to spend but now we can correct a few things.

Agree. Ever since he signed his new deal he’s looked half the player he was before.
He has indeed, half the player but at twice the price!

I don’t think there are many better league one midfielders around to be fair, but he’s certainly not been the same for the last 12 months. However the couple of years prior to that we had Gorrin in a holding role and then Herbie Kane alongside him. So perhaps it’s more a case of not having the right players in midfield with Cam, to actually get the best out of him. He’s had to play too deep and not been allowed the freedom he was having when at the peak of his game for us. Alongside the right midfield partner(s) and maybe in a slightly different shape we’d actually see the best of him again.

Think there would be a sigh of relief in some areas of the club if a decent bid comes in for CB

with brizzle getting 25 mill for scott we should milk them for every mill regarding CB plus a few strikers, CDM and wing backs included in the mix.

He has indeed, half the player but at twice the price!

I don’t think there are many better league one midfielders around to be fair, but he’s certainly not been the same for the last 12 months. However the couple of years prior to that we had Gorrin in a holding role and then Herbie Kane alongside him. So perhaps it’s more a case of not having the right players in midfield with Cam, to actually get the best out of him. He’s had to play too deep and not been allowed the freedom he was having when at the peak of his game for us. Alongside the right midfield partner(s) and maybe in a slightly different shape we’d actually see the best of him again.
Gorrin was particularly good for him because he snuffed things out and kept it simple but played forward. Cam is at his best when he is off the lead, pressing from the front and freedom to go forward. Pre-season showed glimpses of getting that back but in practice, the first 2 competitive games, the midfield has been totally ineffective and Brannagan invisible, bordering on complacent & costly. I think we are too slow & structured for him and I think Rodrigues would do a better job of dropping in and get us playing forward. He's also physically better for the role. Cam isn't anywhere close to justifying his wage. Harsh reality is Bristol City may do us a favour here.

Then don’t mention numbers, just say I hope we can do some business over the next few weeks. When he said one, possibly two early this week it sort of insinuates that the business is sort of close/or even done.

Agree. Ever since he signed his new deal he’s looked half the player he was before.
He outgrew the club and I think it was a mistake for all concerned to smash the pay structure so spectacularly to keep him. He had an escape route before between his age and his release clause which gave him leverage and motivation; now he’s less appealing to a buying club between his poor form, decreasing resale value and the lack of a set fee. He has less to strive for because he has less options and far less of a say.

He’s boxed himself in and has virtually no control over his own future. As such, he is now dependent on the people around him to get him where he wants to be, rather than himself. Which is more difficult than it used to be as he’s so expense to have around. He’s had a face like thunder for the last year because he’s gone from holding all of the cards to none. He’s got the money but that contract is forever running down, and as it stands he’s getting nowhere near that sort of offer at the age of 29. Especially as he’s currently spending his peak years being shoehorned into the side at a struggling L1 club, where he looks a shadow of his former self.

Knowing when to jump and when to let go is everything in life. I think he and the club both got it wrong and are probably trapped in somewhat of an unhappy marriage.

It's great that we didn't cash in last season - the Clown would have spent all the money on a whole host of crocs/mates who would still be on the wage bill.

The time is now to shift Cam. Rebalance the squad. Clearly we need more drastic remodelling than first thought.

He outgrew the club and I think it was a mistake for all concerned to smash the pay structure so spectacularly to keep him. He had an escape route before between his age and his release clause which gave him leverage and motivation; now he’s less appealing to a buying club between his poor form, decreasing resale value and the lack of a set fee. He has less to strive for because he has less options and far less of a say.

He’s boxed himself in and has virtually no control over his own future. As such, he is now dependent on the people around him to get him where he wants to be, rather than himself. Which is more difficult than it used to be as he’s so expense to have around. He’s had a face like thunder for the last year because he’s gone from holding all of the cards to none. He’s got the money but that contract is forever running down, and as it stands he’s getting nowhere near that sort of offer at the age of 29. Especially as he’s currently spending his peak years being shoehorned into the side at a struggling L1 club, where he looks a shadow of his former self.

Knowing when to jump and when to let go is everything in life. I think he and the club both got it wrong and are probably trapped in somewhat of an unhappy marriage.
Do you not think that we'd be in L2 had he gone considering the state of things here on the day Blackpool finally triggered his release clause? Bearing in mind Robinson's mind was not on OUFC and we were desperately struggling to attract players anyway, what chance would we have had if you sell the talisman? He still scored some vital goals that yielded essential points. I completely appreciate the contract was daft for the longevity of the club but is there an argument so say that if we didn't, we could've been off to Barrow tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom