Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think that we'd be in L2 had he gone considering the state of things here on the day Blackpool finally triggered his release clause? Bearing in mind Robinson's mind was not on OUFC and we were desperately struggling to attract players anyway, what chance would we have had if you sell the talisman? He still scored some vital goals that yielded essential points. I completely appreciate the contract was daft for the longevity of the club but is there an argument so say that if we didn't, we could've been off to Barrow tomorrow?
Possibly, but that would only turn the argument into “we couldn’t do what we needed to do, and what we should have done, because someone was too busy inflicting their midlife crisis on the club.”

Even if keeping him ended up being the lesser of two evils, it’s still a bad situation that was entirely avoidable, and yet another example of the club being spectacularly mismanaged.

Brannigan wouldn't get in at City would he.
He has the ability if given the chance. He'd thrive around better players like he has here before. They're a strong side so he'd be a rotation option or backup at first but he would 100% back himself to break into that side, although I'll be sad when he leaves it would be nice to watch him fulfil that potential.

Possibly, but that would only turn the argument into “we couldn’t do what we needed to do, and what we should have done, because someone was too busy inflicting their midlife crisis on the club.”

Even if keeping him ended up being the lesser of two evils, it’s still a bad situation that was entirely avoidable, and yet another example of the club being spectacularly mismanaged.
Agreed. All ifs and buts and it was a completely avoidable scenario but in a daft way I'd rather be where we are with him now than in League Two wishing we'd just thrown a load of cash at Cam who might have saved us. The chances are we wouldn't have replaced him at all or pushed someone through on a wheelchair and even though he was hardly spectacular, I dread to think how much worse it might have been without him.

I absolutely f*****g love Cameron Brannagan. He's the best player we've had in my OUFC supporting life.

But for the first time I'm not sat here hoping we do everything in our power to keep him. 1-2m and getting his massive wage off our books would be a huge help going forwards IF we reinvest it properly.

If he does stay I'll be happy, if he goes I'll be sad but also respectfully appreciate that it's better for both him and the club.

I'd echo the majority on here and move Cam on if a bid comes in north of £1m, I was devastated last season when it looked as if he was Blackpool bound, but his performances have consistently been at a lower standard since the new deal was signed, if we had the opportunity to reinvest and sign Owen Moxon alongside a Jay Mingi type, I'd be very happy.
I genuinely think looking at the team we are still missing a couple of strong powerful players, both wide and centrally, it's ok having pace and technical ability, but the strength and dynamism is what makes the difference at any level IMO we just don't have that balance.

In a sad way I see Brannagan as part of Robinson's legacy here. Similar to Wildschut and Murphy in that we're paying well over the going rate in order to have him here... which is a sad way to feel about it, as Brannagan has given far more to this club than most (especially Wildschut and Murphy).

But he is only here as a result of the awful job Robinson did in managing the squad, which in itself is a result of the control and power Karl was left with.

If I cast my mind back to how we were being run under Appleton and Ashton then I don't think a situation like this would have ever developed. We would have taken Brannagan on as a develop and sell option (a.k.a 'The Model') and known when to sell him. And we wouldn't have worried about letting him go as we would have likely already had his replacement in the building.

After weaving himself into many areas of the club and slowly dismantling 'The Model', Robinson really had no other choice but to throw it all at Brannagan last summer. In some ways it's lucky he did as I think we'd be in League 2 now if he didn't, but the budget is hamstrung by having Cam on it. I'm also not convinced it does the squad dynamic much good in having someone on 3 or 4 times as much as others. Sure, he's better than most others in the squad, but not by that much.

If you said we could get over £1m for him, he'd get his shot in The Championship and we'd also be able to unload his wages, then I'd definitely take that. It would be happening 12 months after it should have done, but I think long term everyone would benefit from it, including Brannagan. It'd also set us back this season, but long term it would be beneficial and would accelerate our return to sensible squad management and succession planning.

Cannot see it happen. Money "has been" available up until now to bring in a marquee sign ing, but frees and ooc players.taken on instead

Time to cash in and use the proceeds to rebuild the squad?

So no new sigings today by the looks of things? ah well maybe we ought to start caching in and spending because this even though we havwe signed some players who look at the moment reasnobale, the areas we needed to be filled are LB and another Striker. i know there are three more weeks of the transfer window but there are 4 games and with our start with only tomorrows game as a possible win out of the 4 games, it will be like last season which aint bloody good enough.
Could be the case of 10%.of the season gone and squad still not complete.
Shaping up to be a very groundhog season.

I absolutely f*****g love Cameron Brannagan. He's the best player we've had in my OUFC supporting life.

But for the first time I'm not sat here hoping we do everything in our power to keep him. 1-2m and getting his massive wage off our books would be a huge help going forwards IF we reinvest it properly.

If he does stay I'll be happy, if he goes I'll be sad but also respectfully appreciate that it's better for both him and the club.
Perfectly summed up my feelings

Agreed. All ifs and buts and it was a completely avoidable scenario but in a daft way I'd rather be where we are with him now than in League Two wishing we'd just thrown a load of cash at Cam who might have saved us. The chances are we wouldn't have replaced him at all or pushed someone through on a wheelchair and even though he was hardly spectacular, I dread to think how much worse it might have been without him.
Maybe. All we know for sure is that the club went from paying him 4k a week to 12k a week, and passed up a million quid in the process. That’s a massive swing for a club this size. Whether he would have been adequately replaced is definitely an unknown, as is how it handicapped us. Did we end up missing out on players in other areas because of the funds being swallowed up? Did we tie up so much money in him that we lost the ability to nail down other deals that would’ve offset his departure in different ways? Far too many revolving doors to know for sure either way, so it’s a bit of a neverender. You could argue it either way pretty fruitlessly, I guess.

I just hope that a solution is found, because he costs too much while contributing too little at present, and I think he and the club are increasingly holding each other back.

A million quid. Maybe 1.5 if we were lucky. He’s got limited if any resale value given he’s 28 by the end of the season.

Can we be that lucky*? I doubt it man, they saw him on Wednesday.

How about we ask for 500k and City have to take Murphy as well? Or, or, a free with Murphy & Wildschutt? That would be a result.

* He's been a wonderful, slightly over-rated, player for the club but his time here is over.

It's great that we didn't cash in last season - the Clown would have spent all the money on a whole host of crocs/mates who would still be on the wage bill.

The time is now to shift Cam. Rebalance the squad. Clearly we need more drastic remodelling than first thought.

Yes, well, I agree. But I can't see where you get the idea that the Clown had any interest in shoes - remember his trainers? Maybe you meant to say 'crocks and buying his mates sex on the beaches in Marbella'?

Time for some serious hard negotiations and maximising the value for CB. Other clubs in our division do it all the time. Peterborough a great example and even Exeter seemed to have cottoned on to the fact that quality league one players don’t come cheap. Take £1.5m minimum and ideally north of that.

Some are saying it frees his wage up (which it obviously does) and we get a decent fee, so should allow us to make some quality further additions. Yet according to what we’ve been told there is still plenty of money available to bring players in and for wages from the unused available budget. Therefore whether Cam stays or goes shouldn’t make a huge difference to our plans, or does it?

Maybe. All we know for sure is that the club went from paying him 4k a week to 12k a week, and passed up a million quid in the process. That’s a massive swing for a club this size. Whether he would have been adequately replaced is definitely an unknown, as is how it handicapped us. Did we end up missing out on players in other areas because of the funds being swallowed up? Did we tie up so much money in him that we lost the ability to nail down other deals that would’ve offset his departure in different ways? Far too many revolving doors to know for sure either way, so it’s a bit of a neverender. You could argue it either way pretty fruitlessly, I guess.

I just hope that a solution is found, because he costs too much while contributing too little at present, and I think he and the club are increasingly holding each other back.

Not to mention the James Henry knock on…

Not ITK but someone has told me £3m is the bid! If so we cash in surely?
That someone has been given bad info
There is no way Brannagan is worth that
All BCFC have to do is look back and find he was on the brink of joining Blackpool for I million last year.
His stock has not gone up threefold since then in fact I would accept 750000 for him right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom