Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bristol is close enough to not have to worry about fishing locations. Could see that happening. I think it will depend on how Cam views this seasons prospects.

• React
Reactions: n1
All football fans see their sides play poorly. It is part of football (especially at L1 level ' but Brazil fans saw their side concede 7 at a home WC, so it happens to the best of them)
No football fans want their team to play poorly, but it will definitely happen at times
Oh I agree it is inevitable - but I still don’t ever want it to happen

Have conflicted feelings on Brannagan. Obviously love him and want him to stay, however his opportunity to get championship football is reducing by the season.

He is on chunky money for a league one footballer and has been off the pace for a while.

If he was to leave (I assume, with the club getting a decent transfer fee) I’m not sure I would be too devastated. He’s done his time, has given us a majority of his prime and could get us some decent money in the process. Wouldn’t begrudge him a move.
Pretty much agree they offered 2/3 million I wouldn’t complain. Just hope we can replace him with 2/3 decent players. He’s been poor recently. Can’t really tackle, can’t open up a defence , shootings been poor. Obviously I think he’ll improve under manning but I think we can replace

Have conflicted feelings on Brannagan. Obviously love him and want him to stay, however his opportunity to get championship football is reducing by the season.

He is on chunky money for a league one footballer and has been off the pace for a while.

If he was to leave (I assume, with the club getting a decent transfer fee) I’m not sure I would be too devastated. He’s done his time, has given us a majority of his prime and could get us some decent money in the process. Wouldn’t begrudge him a move.
I’ve got to say, given how not on top form he’s been for a while now, and how much we’re apparently paying him - if they offered anything over £1m for him, I’d take it (as long as we then splashed out on an attacking left back, a strong, combative midfielder and a striker!)

If we do sell Brannagan then in my opinion we should spend some of the money on the fee that Exeter want for Nombe or actually get go and sign Marriott. Or divert funds into bringing EFL experienced Premier League loanees like Parrott, Coventry (much less sure but has obvious links with Manning) and others.

I’ve got to say, given how not on top form he’s been for a while now, and how much we’re apparently paying him - if they offered anything over £1m for him, I’d take it (as long as we then splashed out on an attacking left back, a strong, combative midfielder and a striker!)

I mean, valuing players is tough but we know Bristol City have gotten good money for Scott, so no reason to ask for a decent amount, plus his contract situation. That said, 2m+ feels too big. His previous release clause, ~1m is probably more realistic

Can you really operate successfully like this ? Name me any other successful football club that has had a player playing virtually every game for just 60 minutes ? It’s a genuinely ridiculous way to try and create a winning formula. We should be signing robust players who can stay the course, not flakey delicate ones who can just do an hour - McEacheran ain’t that bloody good that he can get us into a winning position week in week out with just an hours football.

Jack Marriott has averaged around 60 minutes per game throughout his league career and many would jump at the chance to sign him. There are players who for various reasons play fewer games or rotate in and out of games, and this is why it's important to look at squad depth as much as, or more so than having a strong first 11.

We're looking at 50+ games this season with each game time likely to exceed 100 minutes. That's 5000 playing minutes for the season. If we could guarantee McEachran getting 3000 minutes and McGuane having a further 2000 minutes across that deeper midfield role then we will have done well. Equally I can see Tyler and Stan Mills sharing a lot of these minutes across the right side of the front three, and Harris and the new striker doing the same thing etc.

Agree but the timing is awful.
Ww clearly would have to replace him
It may not be as bad as you think. We have 3 weeks left of the window and I don't think the game plan is built around him to the same extent it has been previously. Equally, he's miles off it at the moment and doesn't look present, mentally. Add in the financial aspect and this may not be the worst news we get this season. We'll miss him, obviously, and his goals would need replacing. But if you lead with your head over heart, you can see that he's not what he was.

McGuane could hold the fort and I actually think Rodrigues could play a deeper role better than Brannagan is and put Bodin or Goodrham in the 10 for a while. We'd navigate this relatively easily in my view and plenty of time to put the money to good use.

Last edited:
Interested to see the type of midfielder we sign if a space is freed up by Cam leaving.

As clown brought himself down, by continously failing to cover the obvious targeted areas, manning is heading the same way. Like clown, lots of blusto and bravado, from.page 12 of the handbook as the transfer window heads for another nosedive.
I don't want to witness an Oxford side play as poor as last Saturday, ever.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's an excess of blusto.

Have always felt McGuane’s best position is where Brannagan plays. We will see an EFL midfield favourite tomorrow that would be worth throwing some money at.

Have always felt McGuane’s best position is where Brannagan plays. We will see an EFL midfield favourite tomorrow that would be worth throwing some money at.
I've always thought Brannagan should be playing further forward, it was like when Herbie Kane was here and we tried to play him too deep. A midfeld of McGuane, McEachran and Brannagan at CAM would be incredible, I do think RR would do a decent job on the wing but his position is CAM

I wouldn't be too upset to see Brannagan move on assuming we have a replacement lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom