Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

To add some balance to the discussion, I was told by someone (that is usually a reliable source) at Oxford City on Saturday that the loan deal for Smith is agreed, but we've been pressing for a a permanent deal, which is obviously why it may be taking a bit longer.

Make of that what you will!

Let's face it, this is all far from ideal isn't it?

What if we announce a signing or two today?
Would certainly help to calm a few nerves and maybe show real intent depending on the calibre and nature of those signings, but the impression of moving goalposts does nobody any favours.

I understand it is a fine balance between open and transparent communication with the fans and the need for caution in the face of delicate negotiations, but I think as ZTH said earlier, giving dates and deadlines is always going to be a hostage to fortune.

Let's face it, this is all far from ideal isn't it?

It's also far from finished.
I am sure you are right and I, unlike some on here, am actually pretty relaxed about the final squad.

That said, I am sure all managers would give their right arm to have all transfer business concluded before pre-season tours etc, so they have a proper chance to assess the squad, try different combinations/formations and for the squad to get to know each other better. The reality is somewhat different in the majority of cases though.

Anyway, let's hope for some positive news in the next couple of days.

If Sam Smith was one of the players expecting to be completed then he was still in Austria last night with Reading. If he was flying back today then has probably only just got back to the UK. Therefore any medical and final forms would be done this afternoon. Might not be time for the club to officially announce it via the usual channels baring in mind various officials and the media team will be travelling to Aldershot later today.
Same applies to any other signing. It could be finalised today and announced tomorrow.

I took the OMs update comment to mean that's the next time they'll get to speak to KR as he'll be in pre match training then travelling to Aldershot.

I am sure you are right and I, unlike some on here, am actually pretty relaxed about the final squad.

That said, I am sure all managers would give their right arm to have all transfer business concluded before pre-season tours etc, so they have a proper chance to assess the squad, try different combinations/formations and for the squad to get to know each other better. The reality is somewhat different in the majority of cases though.

I do not think we have been so bereft of front men since Jamie Guy signed around a decade ago......and that was late on in the close season. It is worrying, but in forty eight hours time things might seem oh so different. I remain ever hopeful. What else is there to say?

Oxford mail expect an update tonight after game. Suppose that means nothing imminent at moment.

Also Twitter account which has been quite accurate with things relating to us called 180express says us along with Rotherham and Sunderland are chasing Jamie Mackie.

From KR in the OM article today re Gavin Whyte:

If he was like some of the players we maybe brought in last summer from the continent that thought they had all the time in the world to float around in midfield (it’s different).

Punches? Pulled? Nope.

It doesn’t appear to be
Oxford mail expect an update tonight after game. Suppose that means nothing imminent at moment.

Also Twitter account which has been quite accurate with things relating to us called 180express says us along with Rotherham and Sunderland are chasing Jamie Mackie.

33 years old? No thanks, that can’t be classed as big name signing surely.

Personally, Im relaxed that KR will get the right players in. Lets face it, he is having to rebuild almost an entire squad following last years horror show.

I would prefer if KR kept timeframes to himself, as frustrating as it is, I think I prefer it to the chaos that follows.

Apparently in the Mail today they are expecting an update after the match, if that is a bluff who knows, but would certainly like to see some incoming faces in the next few days.

Reading are set to sign Sam Baldock so the Smith deal could be confirmed after that deals done

I hope we have all been keeping up with a good standard of oral hygiene for the massive collective sigh of relief ? were gonna do when the forwards arrive ? ? ???

Except in Ronaldo's case I presume though some may argue he was overpriced
It doesn’t appear to be

33 years old? No thanks, that can’t be classed as big name signing surely.

Sunderland are looking to sign 3 strikers- Charlie Wkye, Mo Eisa and Billy Sharp. How can we compete with that?

Back
Top Bottom