Transfer News Summer Transfer Preview

I know this has been done to death, but there are some glaring weaknesses that need addressing. I salute Des and the players for finishing 5th, but we shouldn’t rest on that.

In…
2 right backs, 1 def mid, 1 centre mid, 2 wide men and 1 striker for me please.

For me, Des needs to offload about 11 players and make sure we have the budget to really compete.

In my mind at least the following could be in an auto L1 promotion squad….if we don’t reach the promised land this time of course…

Cumming
Eastwood
*Right back
*Right back
Long
Moore
Brown
Thorniley
Leigh
Joe Bennett
Cameron Bran
Josh Macechran
*def mid
*centre mid
Rod
Tyler Goodram
Murphy
Dale
Wide man
Wide man
Harris
Goodwin
A striker

It's amazing how none of our players are good enough for a club with promotion aspirations, yet are possibly three games away from achieving promotion!

Yeah but we played two championship clubs this season in cup competitions, and got thrashed both times. Bristol City, and Coventry City.

If we stick with your way, and l keep the current defenders. We would get rinsed all the time, and it would be a long season, and a short stay!

Whether you like it or not, your favourite (Long) is not good enough, wingers at the next level will have a field day against him.

Centre Half a must?
Not sure I agree with that. Moore , Brown, Long have done very well and then there is Negru.
Apart from Barnsley & Peterborough who conceded more than us but also scored more than us we’ve conceded the 3rd most goals in the top half. Negru had a great start but really struggled in the middle part of the season after an excellent start & Brown also went through a period in January - March where I thought he was really poor.

I wouldn’t say it’s a priority but if we could get Thorniley & Findlay off our books I wouldn’t be against getting another LCB to play alongside Moore. With Long Brown Negru as back ups (that only if we stay in League 1 we would need vast improvement if we got promoted)

If we stay in league 1,a right back is a must ,a strong taller defence midfielder ,I think Edwards will be signed another right winger and hopefully Murphy signs. Another striker the lad Blackburn I think will come .A goalkeeper for definite I don't know if Cumming has done enough. And another attacking midfielder. If and it's still a big If we go up another level of upgrade will be needed.

Will Brannagan stay? One year left on his contract, I can't see us offering the same money again.

All small details above - bringing in experienced and robust players or bright young things across the board with an enhanced squad with numbers and quality is a must for Championship and tweaks in Lg 1. For the moment let the recruitment team do the advance planning and worrying!

Yeah but we played two championship clubs this season in cup competitions, and got thrashed both times. Bristol City, and Coventry City.

If we stick with your way, and l keep the current defenders. We would get rinsed all the time, and it would be a long season, and a short stay!

Whether you like it or not, your favourite (Long) is not good enough, wingers at the next level will have a field day against him.

Agree with that.

Getting out of L1 is one thing, surviving in the Championship is a different thing altogether. Major changes required defensively because we concede too many in this league, let alone a step up. As you say, the Bristol City and Coventry games are all you need to look at and they’re mid-table teams.

Will Brannagan stay? One year left on his contract, I can't see us offering the same money again.

Apparently he likes fishing so he will never move, which is a bit strange to me as you can go fishing all over the country. Rumours about Portsmouth, not certain how keen he is on sea fishing though so that may play into our hands, he never took the Blackpool bait. At his age now he isn't going to get a big fee for us with one year left on his contract though and he may fancy seeing a very well paid year out and seeing what sort of deal he can get as a free agent so he may well be here next season, finally catch that big carp that has alluded him during his time here.

I’m sure Portsmouth will be interested as they could well establish themselves in the championship and go further.
It would be wonderful to go up, and see Cam ply his trade in a higher league. Could do well with us

Elliot Watt leaving Salford, would improve the quality of our set pieces massively. Were we loosely linked in January?

They are but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t expect better next season.
They are doing a job right now but we can also surely get better in the summer for players like Henry, Bodin, Smyth, Long just to name a few.
Bit harsh on Henry & Bodin to say we can surely get better - both especially Jamo have been excellent players - but yes time is advancing and they may no longer be the right choice for new contracts (though wouldn't mind Henry on the coaching staff and perhaps registered like I think Mous was just in case)

Surely if we go up his current salary would be prerty close to the going rate
Yep. It’s standard in all FL contracts to have a % salary increase should the club get promoted while the player is under contract (and a reduction % in the event of a relegation).

PS the figures being discussed on here about CamBran’s current wage are wide of the mark. Won’t say how I know this but I do.

Apart from Barnsley & Peterborough who conceded more than us but also scored more than us we’ve conceded the 3rd most goals in the top half. Negru had a great start but really struggled in the middle part of the season after an excellent start & Brown also went through a period in January - March where I thought he was really poor.

I wouldn’t say it’s a priority but if we could get Thorniley & Findlay off our books I wouldn’t be against getting another LCB to play alongside Moore. With Long Brown Negru as back ups (that only if we stay in League 1 we would need vast improvement if we got promoted)
Did I see somewhere, statistically Ciaron Brown was our 3rd highest ranking player.
And 29th in the league.
Motm for me Saturday.

Did I see somewhere, statistically Ciaron Brown was our 3rd highest ranking player.
And 29th in the league.
Motm for me Saturday.

Look at how many games he has played as well, loads of actual playing minutes. Probably the most underrated player at the club, given people were not impressed when he signed on loan, he was almost an after thought signing that summer, played out of position yet played a massive part in us staying up and has now been a pretty much ever present in a play off team at centre back.

Keep:
Brannagan (obviously)
Harris
Moore
Brown
Bennett
Leigh
Goodrham
Murphy
Dale
Goodwin
Rodrigues

Loan out:
Negru
Woltman
O'Donkor
Johnson
Golding

Release/sell (if an appropriate bid is received, of course):
Thorniley
Long
Findlay
Seddon
Henry
Bodin
McGuane
Eastwood
Browne
McEachran

I'd like to see the 'loan out' group be given more of a chance but can't really see it happening, especially if we go up. Sorry if I missed anyone!

Last edited:
If we're still in L1 I think we should be all over Greg Docherty from Hull. OOC, should be in his prime, won L1 before and was a standout at the level. Played last few years in the Championship. He probably falls into the category of a top end League 1 player, but a lower level Championship player which is the sort of waters we should be fishing in.

Back
Top Bottom