Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

This is why I asked about Carruthers best position. If he’s a no. 10 we have him, Henry and Hall who can all play that position meaning do we really need to add Marcus Browne to the mix? From the YouTube vids I’ve seen, he also seems to be an attacking midfielder. I’d say we need a defensive midfielder, an out and out pacy winger and two strikers to make for a good competitive squad.

I don’t know his best position, I haven’t seen him enough to pass judgement, but statistically he seems effective from either midfield or further forward. Also played a fair amount on the wings, which is useful if we have injuries at any point.

I wouldn’t expect transfermarkt to be 100% accurate but it’s worth a look.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/samir-carruthers/leistungsdaten/spieler/146488

I agree with your assessment regarding the positions we need to strengthen. 4 players in those positions and anyone else would be a bonus.

Carruthers by all accounts is more a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 but can play left or right side midfielder more attacking in 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 formation not really a winger

Bit the same as Rothwell (I’d say he was his replacement then Ledson as some have mentioned)

This is why I asked about Carruthers best position. If he’s a no. 10 we have him, Henry and Hall who can all play that position meaning do we really need to add Marcus Browne to the mix? From the YouTube vids I’ve seen, he also seems to be an attacking midfielder. I’d say we need a defensive midfielder, an out and out pacy winger and two strikers to make for a good competitive squad.
Yes Wiki says Browne is an attacking midfielder, we dont really need that.

Now the World Cup is done I am finally getting edgy about new signings, it was a nice distraction, but with less than 3 weeks to go till the first game we need to start getting a move on. It seems like we will be getting a few players in shortly which will be a relief, bit worrying if we are still in the same position this time next week.

The defence looks sorted to me, priorities should be a couple of forwards, at least one more centre midfielder and another packet wide lad, need a minimum of four new ones in by Barnsley/end of transfer window to be competitive I reckon, the base is there so these next few signings will see where we will be in the coming season.

Wheres our mythical striker? He is proving harder to land than an eel when youre wearing gloves coated in vaseline.

Sam Smith was in Austria, so I imagine would travel back today, have a medical with us this evening/in the morning and then be unveiled later in the day. Perhaps in a double swoop with the mysterious winger.

Was KR misquoted? Did he in fact say that at in some 24 hour period, sometime in the future, he'd sign two attacking players?

Great! KR says he hopes to have two more players in the next 24 hours. Now Oxford Mail reporting nothing announced yesterday (as if we didn’t know). More importantly KR to give an update after the game tonight. So Oxford Mail doesn’t expect anything to be done today then?

Great! KR says he hopes to have two more players in the next 24 hours. Now Oxford Mail reporting nothing announced yesterday (as if we didn’t know). More importantly KR to give an update after the game tonight. So Oxford Mail doesn’t expect anything to be done today then?

KR expected two to be done by the end of today.

I imagine the comment re: tonight will be if we don't make the signings and if/when they'll be announced.

KR expected two to be done by the end of today.

I imagine the comment re: tonight will be if we don't make the signings and if/when they'll be announced.
The Oxford Mail story (published yesterday morning) did say he expected 2 signings in the next 24 hours (which has lapsed).

Making yourself a hostage to fortune by giving timescales to things that are not entirely within your control is a bit daft really. All managers and chairmen (how many 'five year plans' have we seen come and go!) do it, and then get annoyed when people quote their own words back at them. It's fairly obvious that recruitment hasn't gone to plan this close season (does it ever?) - surely you'd want as many of your final squad as possible going on the tour and playing in preseason games - but we aren't quite at the last minute yet.

Back
Top Bottom