Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was speaking to a Charlton supporting mate yesterday, he stood with me at my local and saw we are bottom of the league, on sky support. He said and I quote" Get rid of that scouse no - hoper, he will blame everyone and anyone except himself, he will go on and still not change anyway the team plays, we at Charlton were so happy he left us for Oxford" My mate went on to say, get the whole management out, he will relegate you"
I rest my case. Get the whole management out, we are doomed and we are relegation fodder. So very upset, that all the work Mapp did is being torn to shreds. GOBBO OUT and the the rest of them.

I don't quite understand the hatred of Charlton fans for KR. Last season he had them at average league position of 6th during his tenure. They were doing better last season under him than they are now.
I'm not sure how relaying what your mate said rests any case, whatever that case may be.

Last edited:
I was speaking to a Charlton supporting mate yesterday, he stood with me at my local and saw we are bottom of the league, on sky support. He said and I quote" Get rid of that scouse no - hoper, he will blame everyone and anyone except himself, he will go on and still not change anyway the team plays, we at Charlton were so happy he left us for Oxford" My mate went on to say, get the whole management out, he will relegate you"
I rest my case. Get the whole management out, we are doomed and we are relegation fodder. So very upset, that all the work Mapp did is being torn to shreds. GOBBO OUT and the the rest of them.
Clotet ripped apart what MApp did, not Robinson.

childish name calling. Some people should just grow up.

Were we deep in relegation trouble, bottom of the table?
With MAPP, people could see what he was trying to achieve with a group of players he inherited. Come January, with his own players, things changed.
KR has his own players and its been a disaster.

We were second bottom and had just been embarrassed on TV at Cambridge. It was one of the worst days I'd had following Oxford at that point (I'm 22 before anyone jumps on my back)

Appleton was slaughtered and pretty much EVERYONE wanted him to go, including myself. We stuck with him and he managed to turn it round after another transfer window.

Obviously that won't always happen and persisting is definitely a risk because we have been crap. I'm not saying we haven't. However we already have a manager who is experienced at league 1 level and has a promotion under his belt.

Surely he must have some idea of what's missing. He did say yesterday that you can't do everything in one window. If he gets another window he could turn it round the way Appleton did...it's definitely a risk though.

I suppose that what I'm Suggesting is that creating as positive atmosphere as possible would be easier without a clueless leader.
We did that yesterday
We were second bottom and had just been embarrassed on TV at Cambridge. It was one of the worst days I'd had following Oxford at that point (I'm 22 before anyone jumps on my back)

Appleton was slaughtered and pretty much EVERYONE wanted him to go, including myself. We stuck with him and he managed to turn it round after another transfer window.

Obviously that won't always happen and persisting is definitely a risk because we have been crap. I'm not saying we haven't. However we already have a manager who is experienced at league 1 level and has a promotion under his belt.

Surely he must have some idea of what's missing. He did say yesterday that you can't do everything in one window. If he gets another window he could turn it round the way Appleton did...it's definitely a risk though.

I believe if he knew what was missing he would have done something about it.
I cant believe that if the takeover goes ahead, that a new owner, who is meant to have so much money would accept as much failure that kr has brought to the club.

This. If we had the old forum to hand, it would show anti-MApp feeling was pretty firm during the first six months of his first season. My personal frustration with it was he was trying to enforce a style on players who simply weren’t capable of doing it. Whilst I understand you want to put your mark and philosophy on a team, I thought the better approach would have been to find a simple method that the current players could have adjusted to and then slowly chopped and changed to accommodate the sort of football you wanted to play.

That’s by the by. MApp got out of jail as he begged and pleaded with DE to get him the players he wanted. This interesting interview with him let’s us behind the scenes of his thinking back then:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-sh...mouth-fc-blackpool-blakburn-rovers-west-brom/

However, the point still stands. Oxford fans weren’t exacrly on MApp’s side, were criticising everything he said (he faced criticism for not showing passion, for ‘Plan B is Plan A’, for the ‘white noise’ comment and jibes over his ‘one of them’ repetitions) and we weren’t truly safe until the last few weeks of the season. Let’s not put the rose-tinted glasses on. Early MApp’s team was crap to watch.

Much of the criticism then is the same stuff that’s coming out now, ie taking the manager’s words at face value, going through them with a fine tooth comb for things to jump on. We all do it, myself included.

I’m in the Robinson out camp more for his waste of a budget and his poor signings than for his comments or demeneour. I can take him being a bit of a knob but it’s because he is passionate and is trying to make it work. I feel his frustration when he’s on the touchline. Was Southend the green shoots of recovery? Had he happened upon an XI that may just be more robust than any other XI he’s put out?

Who knows? We’ll find out against Plymouth.

£20 says that conversation never happened!!

This. If we had the old forum to hand, it would show anti-MApp feeling was pretty firm during the first six months of his first season. My personal frustration with it was he was trying to enforce a style on players who simply weren’t capable of doing it. Whilst I understand you want to put your mark and philosophy on a team, I thought the better approach would have been to find a simple method that the current players could have adjusted to and then slowly chopped and changed to accommodate the sort of football you wanted to play.

That’s by the by. MApp got out of jail as he begged and pleaded with DE to get him the players he wanted. This interesting interview with him let’s us behind the scenes of his thinking back then:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-sh...mouth-fc-blackpool-blakburn-rovers-west-brom/

However, the point still stands. Oxford fans weren’t exacrly on MApp’s side, were criticising everything he said (he faced criticism for not showing passion, for ‘Plan B is Plan A’, for the ‘white noise’ comment and jibes over his ‘one of them’ repetitions) and we weren’t truly safe until the last few weeks of the season. Let’s not put the rose-tinted glasses on. Early MApp’s team was crap to watch.

Much of the criticism then is the same stuff that’s coming out now, ie taking the manager’s words at face value, going through them with a fine tooth comb for things to jump on. We all do it, myself included.

I’m in the Robinson out camp more for his waste of a budget and his poor signings than for his comments or demeneour. I can take him being a bit of a knob but it’s because he is passionate and is trying to make it work. I feel his frustration when he’s on the touchline. Was Southend the green shoots of recovery? Had he happened upon an XI that may just be more robust than any other XI he’s put out?

Who knows? We’ll find out against Plymouth.

http://yellowsforum.proboards.com/thread/19248/ashton-sack-mate

Interesting going through this thread on the old forum...the similarities are there.

Hopefully haven't embarrassed anyone by bringing up this thread. I also wanted Appleton gone at that point.

I’m with scotch egg on his assertions. I too have a Charlton day who is a good friend. He is not surprised we are bottom, and he too says Robinson blames everyone else except himself. I thought Derry looked good when he came but he looks to be part of the problem.
I too am upset that Michael Appleton having done a great job is having all his good work undone, first by Clotet and then Robinson. The length of time taken in appointing him earlier this year, with the benefit of hindsight is incredible. If he’s going I hope we have someone lined up who can take us forward.
Robinson is fast turning into the worst manager we have ever had. Lose against Plymouth on Saturday and he will be compared with Kemp and Rix

….and there was Charlie's Ghost, now departed....
"
Back in the real world....

I've been bigging up MApp since the first time I met him in July (threads passim); I was conversing with him on LinkedIn yesterday afternoon, when he was on the bus to Northampton; and I was being updated by various members of Ennsco during the match, and did a fairly inappropriate celebration lap of the restaurant I was in when Alfie's goal. This morning I am conversing with the club on various Yellow Army initiatives (something that I know will upset you, for historic reasons, so sorry)."

Read more: http://yellowsforum.proboards.com/thread/19248/ashton-sack-mate#ixzz5THDrhHHX

Despite earning a draw, at a ground we never usually do well at. KR still has to go! Woeful campaign so far.

We mustered one shot on target through 90 minutes of football. It’s not good enough!
Liverpool and Man City managed 2 each today. They are terrible too.
(said tongue in cheek - I know we need to be better in front of goal, but stats don't tell you everything. And they are often inconsistent between sites.)

Clotet ripped apart what MApp did, not Robinson.
We made good progress under MApp but I really think there are some rose-tinted memories on this forum. Let's remember that MApp also began to unravel a few things in the couple of months before he left and was perhaps coming to a natural end of his time here. Never got the best out of Dunkley who then left, and how well has he done. Gave away Skarz and Macdonald-who whilst not promotion /championship players at least with Skarz we had a left back! Huge fallout with Sercombe after the Wembley horror show. And that Wembley defeat to relegated Coventry was no better than some of the worst performances this season.
Yes, MApp brought in people like Roofe, but also Wes Thomas as well as initiating the deal for Jon Obika.
Even before MApp left it looked likely that Maguire, Lunny and Johnson would be off, so last season was going to be a rebuilding job whoever was in charge. Unfortunately Clotet did not even begin to rebuild effectively so KR has a season of catch-up to play.

We made good progress under MApp but I really think there are some rose-tinted memories on this forum. Let's remember that MApp also began to unravel a few things in the couple of months before he left and was perhaps coming to a natural end of his time here. Never got the best out of Dunkley who then left, and how well has he done. Gave away Skarz and Macdonald-who whilst not promotion /championship players at least with Skarz we had a left back! Huge fallout with Sercombe after the Wembley horror show. And that Wembley defeat to relegated Coventry was no better than some of the worst performances this season.
Yes, MApp brought in people like Roofe, but also Wes Thomas as well as initiating the deal for Jon Obika.
Even before MApp left it looked likely that Maguire, Lunny and Johnson would be off, so last season was going to be a rebuilding job whoever was in charge. Unfortunately Clotet did not even begin to rebuild effectively so KR has a season of catch-up to play.

Come on, MAPP got us playing good football and promoted, making the club/Eales lots of money on the way. Are you saying the current incumbent, who blames everyone bar himself, even pitches, and has us currently bottom of the league, is going to get us promoted?
There's only one direction he is taking us, and it ain't up.

I’m with scotch egg on his assertions. I too have a Charlton day who is a good friend. He is not surprised we are bottom, and he too says Robinson blames everyone else except himself. I thought Derry looked good when he came but he looks to be part of the problem.
I too am upset that Michael Appleton having done a great job is having all his good work undone, first by Clotet and then Robinson. The length of time taken in appointing him earlier this year, with the benefit of hindsight is incredible. If he’s going I hope we have someone lined up who can take us forward.
Robinson is fast turning into the worst manager we have ever had. Lose against Plymouth on Saturday and he will be compared with Kemp and Rix

Im already comparing him to Kemp and Rix.

6 points ffs!

If anyone needs a reason why Oxford fans deserve better than being so far adrift, bottom of the league, watch this.

How anyone can say kemp, sorry robinson needs more time is beyond me.

Come on, MAPP got us playing good football and promoted, making the club/Eales lots of money on the way. Are you saying the current incumbent, who blames everyone bar himself, even pitches, and has us currently bottom of the league, is going to get us promoted?
There's only one direction he is taking us, and it ain't up.
No, I am not saying anything about the present incumbent, just that I think many on this forum have given MApp's time a rosy glow which, apart from promotion season, we didn't all feel throughout his time here.

Lose Saturday and he’s got to go I’d say.
yes & no
yes if there is someone new coming in straight away to pick up the pieces and can motivate and organise the squad we have.
no if it means leaving derry & co to fiddle on until the January window.
for me it has to be all or nothing, none of this wait hope wait and see rubbish, we are on a very slippery slope and the slide has to be halted pretty quickly..

Back
Top Bottom