PEP has Gone!

Was he really a good coach? Where’s the evidence for that this season then?!!

All the coaching in the build-up to getting the job at Oxford. How highly regarded he is in the football world by experts. The fact a Premiership club trusted his opinion on their academy and quickly went on to be an assistant with the 1st team.

Remeber being a manager and a coach are two completely different things in football.

I thought he was an incoherent berk. his post match interviews were waffle and his analysis flawed. But i am most surprised the board acted so swiftly!!

Not Darryl's style, I guess someone else is pulling the strings.

All the coaching in the build-up to getting the job at Oxford. How highly regarded he is in the football world by experts. The fact a Premiership club trusted his opinion on their academy and quickly went on to be an assistant with the 1st team.

Remeber being a manager and a coach are two completely different things in football.

Yes, as many of us pointed out at the time. Maybe this time the interview process should get beyond David Jones speaking to Guillem Balague. It was a typical 'trendy' appointment which failed to take into account the realities of lower league life. Watching Tony Mowbray barking at his Blackburn team, and Paul Cook urging on his Wigan team, and Wilder smashing the badge on his shirt, shows that at this level it is horses for courses. You need passon, a bit of intimidation, and to know the players strengths and weaknesses. MApp had been through a few hoops first, and then learned quickly. He might have proved the exception.
Of course, the elephant in the room is that Pep is hardly the first person to exit OUFC in the last two years. From MApp to two commercial directors, a chief executive, a managing director, two commercial directors, an academy director, a chief scout, two marketing managers.... the list goes on, and on and on.

Of course, it is possible that all the above are hapless, incompetent fools. But many of their CVs - both prior to OUFC and subsequent - do not suggest that.

I guess we have to learn from this and focus on a new manager.

About time Darryl announced that the club has been sold I guess or should he wait until the transfer window has closed?

About time Darryl announced that the club has been sold I guess or should he wait until the transfer window has closed?

This is a few times this has been mentioned this morning without a bite [emoji6]

Said a few days ago I think it will be announced after the window to avoid unsettling any incoming players. Now who knows maybe it’s best to get it out there and announce the new guy quickly.

If it’s happening of course

Not being able to bring any of his own staff in was always going to become an issue as time went on.
They're all MApps men and the majority were part of the promotion season.
I imagine this decision has come via feedback across the staff. If you lose their support then there is a problem.

You mean extra investment instead of a takeover?

I'm not particularly surprised at this news, just disappointed for Clotet that it didn't work out. As has been said, good coaches don't always make good managers. There must be a reason why Derek Fazackerly has spent most of his post-playing career as a number two, and didn't get/want the job when Appleton left. The next question is, will our next manager be required to keep our staff or will they be allowed to bring in their own people?

I think I said “evidence THIS SEASON”

I'm not particularly surprised at this news, just disappointed for Clotet that it didn't work out. As has been said, good coaches don't always make good managers. There must be a reason why Derek Fazackerly has spent most of his post-playing career as a number two, and didn't get/want the job when Appleton left. The next question is, will our next manager be required to keep our staff or will they be allowed to bring in their own people?

I think you may have something there @FatOldSun ........ especially regarding whether the new incoming manager/coach brings their own bagman / bagmen or has to stick/work with Faz n Chrissy. Time will tell

Last edited:
Shame it didn’t work out for pep really wanted him to succeed and I wish him well for the future.
But I think it is the right decision and hope we can appoint a manager with the knowledge and experience of what’s needed to be successful in league one and beyond.
COYY

Wow, was not expecting this. Bit odd for him to go immediately a few new signings were made.

I think Pep was dealt a bad hand in some ways, and to be honest where we are now is more or less where I would have been happy finishing the season. But there wasn't really much sign of anything improving - more the opposite really, so it'll be interesting to see if a new guy can make more out of the squad.

Where we currently are in the table would possibly have been an acceptable position to finish the season... but we were heading downwards.

Performances have been appalling on many occasions, and looked to be getting worse not better.

Last edited:
Not complaining but just an observation...why was Pep not given the time that Appleton was given?

I think you may have something there @FatOldSun ........ especially regarding whether the new incoming manager/coach brings their own bagman / bagmen or has to stick/work with Faz n Chrissy. Time will tell

But that is very 'old school'!! We were supposed to be following the Swansea model, by which the chief coach is just that, and he slots in alongside the existing staff, to prevent costly and sudden upheavals every 18 months to 2 years. Worked for Liverpool for years.... their managers never got to wipe out the Boot Room and bring their own 'muckers' in. Don't think that there is anything much wrong with Faz or Chrissy.

The failure here, finally recognised today by the Board even as many fans still is a many-headed monster. Dating back quite some time. And it won't be fixed just by bringing in a decent manager, any more than Denis Smith was able to be a panacea for all ills when he returned for his second spell.

But that is very 'old school'!! We were supposed to be following the Swansea model, by which the chief coach is just that, and he slots in alongside the existing staff, to prevent costly and sudden upheavals every 18 months to 2 years. Worked for Liverpool for years.... their managers never got to wipe out the Boot Room and bring their own 'muckers' in. Don't think that there is anything much wrong with Faz or Chrissy.

The failure here, finally recognised today by the Board even as many fans still is a many-headed monster. Dating back quite some time. And it won't be fixed just by bringing in a decent manager, any more than Denis Smith was able to be a panacea for all ills when he returned for his second spell.
IF theres a new appointment before Fans Forum March 1st , it'll give an insight to how the future is planned to pan out depending on if Faz n Chrissy stay in place, or not, however the case may be

Not complaining but just an observation...why was Pep not given the time that Appleton was given?
People have said that he didn't have a very good relationship with some of the staff and some players. How true that is I'm not sure. Just what i read on multiple occasions.

Back
Top Bottom