Conference Oxford City

It was always likely that they would be relegated .
They are at a huge disadvantage against a lot of the other clubs in the Division.
They have done terrifically well to gw5 as high as the National League, but unfit looks like staying there will be a step too far.

Could be all but relegated next week if they lose away to Flyde. 18 points to play for and currently 15 points adrift at the foot of the table.

Hopefully they have used the extra income wisely and it will stand them well for the future.

I think they've been very sensible in the way they approached this season by sticking largely with the squad that got them there (until injuries set in) and not busting the budget to try and stay there by going full time which would have been madness given their limited support.
I watched them on TNT this lunchtime and thought they played some tidy football but individual errors did for them (again) against one of the tightest defences in the division. Bizarrely they've scored more goals than today's visitors AFC Halifax who are one point outside the play offs!
Just a shame that they're likely to end up in the North for next season

I think they've been very sensible in the way they approached this season by sticking largely with the squad that got them there (until injuries set in) and not busting the budget to try and stay there by going full time which would have been madness given their limited support.
I watched them on TNT this lunchtime and thought they played some tidy football but individual errors did for them (again) against one of the tightest defences in the division. Bizarrely they've scored more goals than today's visitors AFC Halifax who are one point outside the play offs!
Just a shame that they're likely to end up in the North for next season
The national league North might seem bad due to the travelling but I am sure I heard the past that the club made more money in the national league north than they did in the south due to bigger away followings.

Could be all but relegated next week if they lose away to Flyde. 18 points to play for and currently 15 points adrift at the foot of the table.

Hopefully they have used the extra income wisely and it will stand them well for the future.

Got more investment from an American according to the commentary on TV today as well. The defending/keeping for both goals was comical, I think they've been scouting us.

The national league North might seem bad due to the travelling but I am sure I heard the past that the club made more money in the national league north than they did in the south due to bigger away followings.

If it stays how it is in the relegation spots in the national league City will go back into the national league south.

Bishop Stortford would of probably swapped to the south in place of City but they have already been relegated from the North.

I actually went to the game yesterday it was good obviously you could see there was a different class to some of the Halifax players compared to city but city play some good football. The two goals were comical the first the defender should be kicking the ball in to touch the second well the goalie been watching Eastwood 🤣 .

Last season was one hell of an achievement for them, getting to the national league where they are a real minnow was some going. You had at least one poster on here saying that a promotion again was a possibility which was certainly hopeful, big gap between the national league and the national south and what has happened was always a strong possibility. Still at least they got to go and play at Chesterfield, Oldham etc.

Interesting to see how they go from here, the smaller clubs who get relegated from the conference/national league over the years sometimes plummet down the tiers, the Histons, Droylesdons etc but hopefully they can avoid that fate and be competitive in the national north/south as Oxfordshire non league clubs seem to be struggling a bit at the moment.

Last season was one hell of an achievement for them, getting to the national league where they are a real minnow was some going. You had at least one poster on here saying that a promotion again was a possibility which was certainly hopeful, big gap between the national league and the national south and what has happened was always a strong possibility. Still at least they got to go and play at Chesterfield, Oldham etc.

Interesting to see how they go from here, the smaller clubs who get relegated from the conference/national league over the years sometimes plummet down the tiers, the Histons, Droylesdons etc but hopefully they can avoid that fate and be competitive in the national north/south as Oxfordshire non league clubs seem to be struggling a bit at the moment.
It was one hell of an achievement for 'City to play in the National league, against many fully professional clubs, albeit for the one season. The fully deserved, and earnt their right to do so. I hope next season they can consolidate as a mid to upper Nat South/ North club , with maybe a couple of cup runs too?

It was one hell of an achievement for 'City to play in the National league, against many fully professional clubs, albeit for the one season. The fully deserved, and earnt their right to do so. I hope next season they can consolidate as a mid to upper Nat South/ North club , with maybe a couple of cup runs too?

For me they made it to the top of the non league/semi pro game in this country, only a few of the smaller clubs in the national league will have finished above them this season. Unfortunately for them the league they are in is shared with a lot of bigger professional clubs, who while they are at the bottom of the professional ladder (apart from those clubs plummeting for various reasons like Yeovil, Torquay) are unlikely to finish below Oxford City.

We were awful one year in the conference and never got near being relegated, the gap between the semi pro and pro teams is a fair sized over a 46 game season.

I wonder what kind of wage bill they were operating on?
I can imagine it would be totally dwarfed by the full time sides. No shame in going down.

I wonder what kind of wage bill they were operating on?
I can imagine it would be totally dwarfed by the full time sides. No shame in going down.
I thought they would probably go down but expected them to make a bit more of a go of it, especially after a reasonable start. I think they’ve avoided overspending and relied on a lot of loans, which maybe didn’t work out that well. They’ve also had some of their better players injured and their best striker recalled and sent to Sutton.

I’ve only been once this season but was struck by how high the standard was, it’s no shame to struggle with that.

87 goals conceded in 41 games. 😬

Not hard to see where their problems lay this season. Going forwards, they've actually been respectable.
Hope they can avoid emulating our 2000/01 side by conceding 100 goals.....although they've a couple of tricky games to come. Not least Easter Monday where they have to travel to face GOD & co.......

Back
Top Bottom