Non-League Oxford City

Do they sing all the classics?

Back to lectures on Monday.
You only sing on May morning.

And of course...

You must have come on a tandem.

😂

Since you ask, this year it was “cry on results day, we saw you cry on results day” and “one day you’ll work for us, one day you’ll work for us”

@Jerome'is missing the classic "your dad, works for my dad" although being someone that went to Brookes the "I'd rather be a poly than a c*nt" holds a special place in my heart.

Well that's Oxford City's promotion campaign over , Dorking a class above and should be comfortable in the national league next season . City should use this to come back stronger next season and also gives them time to build the new stand that would be required at national league level due to the rule that away fans have to be segregated. Not sure what they would of done if they would have achieved promotion this season?

On a plus side, our friends York City have also knocked out Brackley so atleast we don't have to put up with Radio Ox bashing one out over them anymore.

I know what you mean, I’d agree if they had super rich owners and a reasonable chance of getting into the league, but as it is they’re more of a complement to United

Yeh it was more the fact it would of been nice to have the opportunity to send them our youngsters like O'Donkor to get game time in the national league which isn't far off league 2 level. Can't see there ever being a rivalry unless they get a rich owner who takes them on a journey of course.

Yeh it was more the fact it would of been nice to have the opportunity to send them our youngsters like O'Donkor to get game time in the national league which isn't far off league 2 level. Can't see there ever being a rivalry unless they get a rich owner who takes them on a journey of course.
I hope not like the kassam journeys of course it's only one way and that's down with him

I hope not like the kassam journeys of course it's only one way and that's down with him

They already had a Billy bullshitter who nearly bankrupted the club in 2016. Seems like they're in a much better place 6 years later, but crucially they aren't spending beyond their means.

They already had a Billy bullshitter who nearly bankrupted the club in 2016. Seems like they're in a much better place 6 years later, but crucially they aren't spending beyond their means.

I remember he was an obvious crook but the Oxford Mail shamefully failed to report critically or investigate him. It led to the tragic death of the club chairman, I believe

I remember he was an obvious crook but the Oxford Mail shamefully failed to report critically or investigate him. It led to the tragic death of the club chairman, I believe

Correct, I remember reading about the chairman being found dead at the ground due to how bad finances were at the club at the time. Glad they are in decent shape now.

I can't help wondering if City will make the EFL eventually. The current ground is too small but there is more than enough space to build a new stadium next door, if the money can be found and it may be relatively easy to get planning permission.

Given that I started attending United games in December 1975, it took me nearly another two years to make my first visit to the wonderful old White House Ground, when I saw City defeat RC Warwick 2-0 in an FA Cup qualifying round game in September 1977. United were, of course, not at home that day and when I saw the fixture in the Oxford Times, my interest was aroused not so much because of City but by the fact that I had never heard of the visitors and thought that the only club in the world called 'Racing Club' was the one in Buenos Aires. I only made another couple of visits to the White House before it was demolished in the late 80's, which also led to the club being put into abeyance for a year or two. I can however claim to be one of the few people to have seen the revived City club play at Cutteslowe Park, when I saw them hammer Stony Stratford Town 7-1 in a SSML game in April 1991. My first visit to Court Place was for City's 3-0 victory over Southall in March 1994.

I can't help wondering if City will make the EFL eventually. The current ground is too small but there is more than enough space to build a new stadium next door, if the money can be found and it may be relatively easy to get planning permission.

Given that I started attending United games in December 1975, it took me nearly another two years to make my first visit to the wonderful old White House Ground, when I saw City defeat RC Warwick 2-0 in an FA Cup qualifying round game in September 1977. United were, of course, not at home that day and when I saw the fixture in the Oxford Times, my interest was aroused not so much because of City but by the fact that I had never heard of the visitors and thought that the only club in the world called 'Racing Club' was the one in Buenos Aires. I only made another couple of visits to the White House before it was demolished in the late 80's, which also led to the club being put into abeyance for a year or two. I can however claim to be one of the few people to have seen the revived City club play at Cutteslowe Park, when I saw them hammer Stony Stratford Town 7-1 in a SSML game in April 1991. My first visit to Court Place was for City's 3-0 victory over Southall in March 1994.

Isn't there a covenant on that land that limits how much that stadium can be developed, i'm sure it was mentioned when a ground share with both Oxford clubs was being spoke of on that site?

Even if the pitch stays where it is there is enough room to build a stadium of around 5,000 if that's allowed on that land.

Last edited:
Those saying City will eventually make the FL, what are you basing that on? No club as small as them has ever been promoted from the conference/national league.

Unless we go bust then they have little room for growth, they had the lowest crowds in the national league south last season so it was a huge achievement to go up, it will probably be an even bigger one to stay up.

The investment on infrastructure and the playing side to get promoted and be allowed into the football league would be huge.

Those saying City will eventually make the FL, what are you basing that on? No club as small as them has ever been promoted from the conference/national league.

Unless we go bust then they have little room for growth, they had the lowest crowds in the national league south last season so it was a huge achievement to go up, it will probably be an even bigger one to stay up.

The investment on infrastructure and the playing side to get promoted and be allowed into the football league would be huge.
I can't see why they'd really aspire to being in the FL, to be honest. Oxon supports one medium-sized lower-league club and I don't see the potential for another in the city, especially if we get the new ground. West Oxon could probably support a decent non-league club, I'm surprised Witney haven't reformed.

I can't see why they'd really aspire to being in the FL, to be honest. Oxon supports one medium-sized lower-league club and I don't see the potential for another in the city, especially if we get the new ground. West Oxon could probably support a decent non-league club, I'm surprised Witney haven't reformed.

Used to go and watch my uncle play for Witney years ago when I was a kid, had a lovely little ground from my hazy memories, it is strange that a town that size doesn’t have a half decent non league team but maybe North Leigh fill the vacuum a bit.

Back
Top Bottom