Conference Oxford City - Full Time??

n1

Just seen the article in which Oxford City have announced the appointment of Ross Jenkins as their new manager. In the article it mentions that they are working toward being FULL-TIME. This would be a really interesting, and positive developmnet for local football, and quite an achievement for City who appear to be very well run.

What is their desired end game? Is it to be a Football League club?

At what stage should I move from a complete antipathy towards them to dislike?

I hope it is really carefully planned and the necessary revenue streams are very secure. Plenty of clubs have come a cropper doing this sort of move and aren't really sustainable.

I have a soft spot for the City. They were my first experience of watching live football before progressing onto United and I have many happy memories racing other kids to get the ball back when it flew over the back of the stand at CPF.

They have come on leaps and bounds in recent years, but going full time sounds like a stretch. Oxford and Oxfordshire aren’t big places. The city has an everchanging population of students who aren’t going to be around long enough to adopt a side and the native population on the main follows United. City have a small, loyal base and certainly pick up a few extra supporters when we’re away at the likes of Fleetwood and Carlisle but I can’t see them making many inroads into our supporter base. They’ll have to be propped up by benevolence as the revenue streams from tickets aren’t likely to explode much from home supporters.

I like them as an ally rather than a rival. They’re a side that can develop our youngsters and they are rewarded with some talent joining their ranks. They’re at a competitive level for youth prospects who are released from us to have another go at playing at a decent level (Josh Ashby and Harvey Bradbury for example) and an important part of Oxfordshire football. I hope that if there are plans to go full time it has been well thought out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom